symbolon deck

Ravenswing

hi all--

i just got this deck and i must say it appears quite awesome...

this is not an oracle-type deck. i would call it a self-examination tool. there are 12 'major' card; each one falls under a sign of the zodiac. these are considered to be 'pure' archetypes.
the other 66 cards are created from a combination (balance) of two of the major cards. i guess you can look at it as thesis, antithesis and synthesis. for example, the card under ares is 'the warrior', and the card under capricorn is 'the master'. combining the two, we get the card titled 'prevention'.

the idea behind the deck is to discover your own blockages and unexpressed persona.

the twelve major cards are:

1. the warrior (ares/mars)
2. the lover (taurus/venus)
3. the mediator (gemini/mercury)
4. the mother (cancer/moon)
5. the ego (leo/sun)
6. the servitor (virgo/mercury)
7. the partner (libra/venus)
8. the seducer (scorpio/pluto)
9. the preacher (sagittarius/jupiter)
10. the master (capricorn/saturn)
11. the jester (aquarius/uranus)
12. the angel (pisces/neptune)

there are 'readings' that use the astrological attributes, but, as of the moment, i am not well-versed enough to either use or give comment on this angle of these cards.

all-in-all, it seems a powerful deck

LVX
steve

faunabay

I've got it and really like it! Just a warning though -- it's quite mouthy! ROFL At least mine is. It has a tendency to be a smart aleck!!!
When I first got it, it played with me a bit....can't remember now which cards but it came up with a couple as outcomes that were quite irritating until I realized it wasn't being serious!! :D When I caught on it gave me a serious reading to tell me it was trying to get my attention! LOL Well it sure worked! :D

jade

wow, i've never heard of these before. do you have a link?

jade

catlin

I think there are some pics in the Oracle deck section at www.tarotwelten.de just scoll down, it should appear right under the tarot decks.

I added it to my collection as I also wanted to get deeper into astrology but I still have had no time to bond with the Symbolon.

Ravenswing

study method

right now i'm looking into all the triples that can be made from the deck-- 66 in total. a triple is made of two 'pure' archetypes plus the card that is made of the combination of the two. (a listing of the 'pure' archetypes can be found in the first posting)

each one is quite a contemplation piece.

it'll be some time before i get to read with these, but i think this study will be well worth it.

anybody have any particular methods they'd like to share?

LVX
steve

catlin

Sorry, no real input from me as I still did not "click" with this deck. Your trinity approach seems worth a try.

aeonx

Kaz: thank you so much for the list of links! :D

This might be a deck I'll get, there are a few interesting cards here. Besides, I really liked the Lovers, and this is currently one of my favourite cards, so.... :)

~aeonx~

aeonx

Btw, I was wondering why there weren't any titles printed on the cards, and then I read wicce's review. (I've discovered we have the same taste in decks, so her reviews are really helpful! :D ) The cards are not tarot ones, but rather a game of remembrance. And it's now on my wish-list! :)

~aeonx~

Ravenswing

lovers...

aeonx--

if you like the Lovers, you'll find ten different varients on this theme. it's hard to make any direct corrospondence to the tarot (even though there ARE 78 cards)

for example, the card entitled the Master is a bit of the Hermit, a bit of Death and possibly a touch of the Tower.

sort of cross-references cards. maybe bits and pieces of the major arcana put together. like i said before, 66 of the cards are blends of the pure archetypes, and the emphasis is on internal persona rather than external events.

each card does have a title-- you'll find them in the lwb (which runs a bit over 100 pages) it's a great introduction to use of the cards, but i'm wondering if anyone knows of a big book that goes with this deck?

the cards are 3' x 5' -- which gives lots of room for background art, and there is much in the background.

does it sound like i REALLY like this deck? (i've had it now for three whole days :) )

LVX
steve