Book of Azathoth

rygD

Symbolism was, perhaps, not the correct word. Maybe I meant minor references in imagery. I don't remember, and I forgot what I saw with the cards. I probably meant old books, weird creatures, tentacles, things lurking in shadows, death, and mysterious scenes where something happened.

It seems very heavy on the WS side, so I will keep it in mind, but may not end up getting it. I really like the look, as with another of my Lovecraft inspired decks, however I am not too fond of the WS cards, and I already have plenty that go with that. I will think about it again when the book comes out, and see how I feel about the cards. Thanks for the update on when the book should be available.

MissChiff

I have the 2ed edition... I use it a lot believe it or not..✨🌟🌞

Luna's Crone

There is a deck out there that i think Lovecraft help make. I am gonna have to try and remember where I saw it.

rygD

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it is highly unlikely that H.P. Lovecraft would have worked on something like a tarot deck. He didn't think much of people into that sort of thing (as tarot wasn't really used for games by English speakers even back then). Many of the things he included in his stories were things he thought were stupid, and they were often suggested as such. Same for the people he consider subhuman. The one major exception I remember are things that came from other places, but in those cases they were examples of things we don't understand, which points back to his views of humans being rather pathetic simple creatures, and that science is the ultimate tool for seeking knowledge, yet if we understood even a tiny fraction of reality we would be driven to insanity.

That is a part of what amuses me by how his creations have been used in the decades since his death. They have been used for all manner of things he was opposed to, and more recently his unspeakable terrors have become cute little things. I still prefer my monsters to be horrific, though.

Hide1111

Lovecraft's main idea was to create Gods that are neither good or bad and that are for the most part aloof from humanity. Lovecraft's Gods are not necessarily horrific rather they are more intimidating so as to appear horrific.
Some believe that Lovecraft tapped into Crowley like Gods here, but that is up for conjecture.

Barleywine

That is a part of what amuses me by how his creations have been used in the decades since his death. They have been used for all manner of things he was opposed to, and more recently his unspeakable terrors have become cute little things. I still prefer my monsters to be horrific, though.

The same can be said of the modern take on vampires (Twilight and such). I always say I like my vampires ominous and repulsive. Give me Nosferatu! I never thought they belonged in a tarot deck.

rygD

The same can be said of the modern take on vampires (Twilight and such). I always say I like my vampires ominous and repulsive. Give me Nosferatu! I never thought they belonged in a tarot deck.
I don't mind people putting whatever appeals to them on tarot cards or anything else; different people like different things. To me the relationship between humans and vampires remains one of food source (and occasional nuisance) and predator. Soon a television series that has a great take on vampires will be on again, and the man behind it is quite a fan of Lovecraft (there are some obvious nods to Lovecraft, including an important ancient book), and I love how it modernized things, but kept with some of the old ideas...plus they are fun looking critters, although it would probably be a mistake to take them home to mom, unless mom is dinner.

WolfyJames

Soon a television series that has a great take on vampires will be on again, and the man behind it is quite a fan of Lovecraft (there are some obvious nods to Lovecraft, including an important ancient book), and I love how it modernized things, but kept with some of the old ideas...plus they are fun looking critters, although it would probably be a mistake to take them home to mom, unless mom is dinner.

Which show? It does sound interesting.