Is it possible to have a primary sign traits with secondary sign tendencies?

Starling

There is what is going on inside - The Sun, and what is going on outside - The Ascendant, and what is going on emotionally - The Moon. And all of them are true and it is possible that from the outside you can't see what The Sun or The Moon are up to.

There is how we express our love and artistic natures, which is Venus. And how we express our energy, our sexual natures and our aggression, which is Mars. Jupiter is our expansive side, and Saturn is how we see and express our duty and serious side.

The signs of the last three planets are generational, but their house placement and the aspects between them and the other planets have a lot to do with us as individuals.

It is complicated but all of us are pretty complicated. Sun sign astrology works because that inner self stuff is real. It just isn't the whole story.

star-lover

starling i read somewhere that there is always the X FACTOR and the horoscope is not the be all and end all

i also read that you can transcend your horoscope
not sure if thats true, guess it probably is to an extent

i think most people will know what in their chart is a very strong feature in their lives - but there are parts of my chart i just haven't lived up to either due to x y or z

Starling

I'm not sure what you mean by the X-factor. As for transcending your chart...

<grin> Look, the chart is very complicated. There really is no need to transcend it. There are always both higher and lower ways to experience your life and your chart. The things in your charts (and there are multiple variations of them when you include transits, progressions and directions), the things in your charts are your strengths. They are the things you are naturally good at. Why would you want to transcend your natural gifts and abilities?

If you are talking about the times when you have transits to those points in your chart, why not go with the flow? Yes, some of those transits are going to be hard times, but a lot of them are actually doors opening up. Why not go through them?

Take me. I've got a bunch of Earth in my chart. 5 planets in Taurus; 1 in Virgo. 4 planets in the 10th house (2 of which are Taurus planets) which means they have a lot in common with planets in Capricorn. That means I've got a practical streak a mile wide. Now I could try to transcend that. But why would I want to. Practical is good! <grin> I also get an artistic bent out of the mix and a sense of honor. I think I'll keep them too.

What I'm missing is Water. Not even one planet, but my Ascendant is in Cancer so I look a lot more emotional to the outside world than I feel. And my Moon in Aries is one of those 10th House planets and Conjunct both Mercury and the Sun and both of them are in the 10th house too. Certainly not an emotional Moon, but I think a deep one in many ways. The emotions are there, but they are hidden. I could try to transcend that and show my emotions more, but it would feel fake. I guess transcending that wouldn't work too well.

star-lover

thanks for those thoughts, very interesting
i think it was stephen arroyo in the introduction to his book astrology karma and transformation where i read it about transcending your chart
also something along the lines of sin is failure to try and achieve your potential

i cant check the context of it now because my books are in storage

Starling

I read that book many many years ago and gave it away during one of several long distance moves, so I can't check it either.

I liked the author and respect him, but I wonder how he was using the term "transcending". Obviously, I can't remember.

Personally, I'd try to figure out what is there in your chart. You might find a bunch of surprises.

Bernice

Star-lover:
starling i read somewhere that there is always the X FACTOR and the horoscope is not the be all and end all

i also read that you can transcend your horoscope
not sure if thats true, guess it probably is to an extent
I think the 'trancendance' probably means that a person can live at the highest potential of their chart.

To truly transcend your horoscope you would have to 'lose' yourself, your personality identity. In which case the factors of your horoscope would then depict the external conditions of your life, not your responses to it. But bear in mind that to accomplish this, you would use all the facets of your personality and your emotions etc. to rein & direct them them under your higher consciousness. Not easy, I wouldn't think! :)

Bee