One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Tarot Orat

Hello to all of the new people joining the ODW! I haven't been very vocal here, but I'm trying to post readings in the Daily Draw thread a couple of times a week.

Chiriku, I saw you mention that you were considering scanning or photographing cards for your draws. Since I'm a fan of seeing the cards in others' spreads, I want to encourage this!

I always appreciate your posts, kalliope :) It's great to see the variety in the Daily Draw thread and how everyone works with their cards.

I've been a little reluctant to post card images, although I know it would probably be useful to others due to the unique nature of my decks. I always get edgy about posting someone else's work. :( Well, I guess putting a few images on a forum isn't exactly the equivalent of running off with the full-size original art and posting it everywhere!

The creator of the Dark Carnival has all her cards posted on Facebook as relatively small images with a copyright notice across the front....I would feel comfortable using those because it would be obvious I wasn't trying to steal her work. As long as people wouldn't be too annoyed by the copyright notices!

kalliope

So, does this mean you can't touch another deck for however the allotted time is?? I'm thinking about it with Sweet Twilight that I got for Christmas that I've barely looked at because of, well, depression. I think I need to do something like this. Convince me people? I am so fickle.

There are some broad rules, but people are mostly designing their own ODW and it seems to be working for most people because of that. Personally, I'm trying to only read tarot with my ODW deck for a certain length of time, and after a certain date I might allow a 1-2x a month dabble into something else. I'm allowing myself limited use of Lenormand, Sibilla, or playing cards, mostly because I read them very differently than tarot. Several people here are allowing use of other decks when it's required by Reading Circles to which they belong, for instance.

While some people are really strict and don't allow themselves to even handle other decks, that's not the case for me. I posted a lot in the Sacred Rose thread, got those cards out and was comparing editions, and I browsed through its companion book when I received it. I've purchased a bunch of stuff, etc.

But when it comes to reading, I don't have to hem and haw and waste energy figuring out which deck to use. I just head straight to my International Icon. I'm enjoying the experience, and think you should take some time to come up with rules you can be comfortable with (read others' rules in previous posts for ideas!), join us and give it a shot!

kalliope

I've been a little reluctant to post card images, although I know it would probably be useful to others due to the unique nature of my decks. I always get edgy about posting someone else's work. :( Well, I guess putting a few images on a forum isn't exactly the equivalent of running off with the full-size original art and posting it everywhere!

The creator of the Dark Carnival has all her cards posted on Facebook as relatively small images with a copyright notice across the front....I would feel comfortable using those because it would be obvious I wasn't trying to steal her work. As long as people wouldn't be too annoyed by the copyright notices!

I understand how you feel about posting images. Personally, I feel much more comfortable posting photographs (vs. scans), since it's obvious that I'm not posting the cards as if they were my own art, and the quality and size of the images isn't such that people could likely capture the images for their own devious use. Posting random sets of 1-3 cards throughout a huge thread also isn't nearly the same to me as scanning images into an album somewhere on the web. Maybe one could argue this is all my rationalization, but the difference makes sense to me.

In your case as well as mine, the deck authors themselves have posted all 78 cards online. I think using the watermarked images would be a good option!

Eyebright

I've been doing a lot of my personal ramblings separately, then when I feel like I've got it more "figured out" I post in the ODW DD thread. I really like the companionship we have there. Obviously do what's comfortable for you, but we'd love to see you there :)

I think that I might write up my single card draws that I do as a "flavour" for the day to the ODW thread and then save any bigger readings that I do for my personal thread. That way I can feel more part of the group and yet keep my readings together in one place. :)

Thank you for the birthday wishes also :D

Chiriku I frequently post slightly larger spreads to my personal daily draw thread and have never been instructed not to, so I agree that we should be able to post larger spreads in a thread if we create one.

Tarot Orat

I understand how you feel about posting images. Personally, I feel much more comfortable posting photographs (vs. scans), since it's obvious that I'm not posting the cards as if they were my own art, and the quality and size of the images isn't such that people could likely capture the images for their own devious use. Posting random sets of 1-3 cards throughout a huge thread also isn't nearly the same to me as scanning images into an album somewhere on the web. Maybe one could argue this is all my rationalization, but the difference makes sense to me.

In your case as well as mine, the deck authors themselves have posted all 78 cards online. I think using the watermarked images would be a good option!

I think that's a good rationale and not just a rationalization :) For single-card draws I'll use the web images, for larger spreads I'll take photos.

Eyebright

I agree that photographs are not the same as high quality scans and there is not much fear to the creator's work being stolen. I post photographs myself sometimes, though I will try to do it more often!

My tarot deck is available to view on AlbiDeuter website, which the publishers have given permission for them to display, happy days :D

Canid, please join us, I think you will enjoy the experience :heart:

Tarot Orat

LOL, all that about images said, today's DC daily draw has a GIGANTIC pot of marijuana on it, and now I feel self-conscious about posting it. (I'm quite sure the message is not "Smoke some weed today" though ;) )

Miss Divine

LOL, all that about images said, today's DC daily draw has a GIGANTIC pot of marijuana on it, and now I feel self-conscious about posting it. (I'm quite sure the message is not "Smoke some weed today" though ;) )

LOL... If we only had a ''like'' button here...

Miss Divine

Welcome to all the newcomers! I'm still ''one deck wondering'' ;) with the Vampyres. But I have the flu so I'm not doing any real readings at the moment. I looked at madame squee's profile and now understand why her previous ODW's didn't last longer than a few days. :laugh: Lots of luck to you madame squee!

Since I started this, I had the urge to acquire more new decks than ever before...how crazy is that?? I just received my last purchase in the mail today (T. of the Sidhe) and I think they're gorgeous. My thirst for new decks has been quenched now. (And I hope it stays this way for a LONG while!!)

Yes, my fingers itch to try out my new decks, but so far so good. I know I have new treasures waiting for me, and knowing they aren't going anywhere makes it easier not to fall off the bandwagon. Cheers!!

strings of life

Miss Divine, feel better! I've been battling a cold for just over a week, and am finally starting to feel better. I took a sick day from work today, just to rest up and sleep in a bit.

I think it's great to see so many of us taking advantage of the Daily Draws thread. I'm still trying to figure out what method of journaling works best for me (a blog, using an actual journal program like Penzu, or a print journal), but until I find out, the Daily Draws thread is a good spot to jot down daily cards when I pull them. Even if I write something short, it's a good routine for me to get into. Plus, it's interesting to pick up on reoccurring themes. I've said it in the past, journaling can be such a personal experience and I'm not sure if a public blog is the best option for me.

I love my Moleskine notebook, but I want the flexibility of being able to tear out pieces of paper easily. On the hunt for something else...

kalliope, thanks for the Dropbox recommendation. I use it for work, so I may set up a personal one. As much as I hate typing on my iPhone, if I'm on the go and want to post a Daily Draw with an image, I would be able to this way. I'm really trying to train myself to do those or post reflections from an actual computer. My free your mind time :).

How many of you use a handwritten journal versus a digital one (blog, computer)? I'm really drawn to keeping a handwritten one, largely due to the fact that it will force me to write in print again. But keeping a digital one is more convenient for me. Oh, the dilemma...

Alamaris, welcome back! To you and kalliope, I'm yet to post in the Study Group about the II and won't be able until late March. It's hard to do when you are busy and it takes up extra time. Right now, I'm focusing on handling my deck every day (which I have been doing), pulling daily cards or spreads when I need to. As far as documenting these, I know I need a better system (see above about my journaling quandary).

I'm having a problem with my daily draws in that they aren't pointing out anything new - they're just confirming things that I already know (which I know is supposed to be a good sign - I guess I need to ask more than, "What do I need to know?")
Maybe instead of 'reading' every day, you just draw a card to contemplate. Just examine the imagery, think about it. Daydream with it. Or maybe just look through the deck seeking common elements and contemplate those. I don't 'read' for myself every day with Thoth, that would be exhausting, plus I find daily readings don't work for me. :)
I don't use a position for my daily draw, and I also keep it to one card. I take this card as a message, lesson, or even a reaffirmation. I try and tell a story with the card and how it applies to me. It all depends on the card. I also may not draw a card every day, maybe every other.

Do what's best for you, but try to avoid forcing a meaning out or pulling a card or spread every day, just to do it.

I love reading everyone's posts in this thread. It's great that so many of us are really getting in touch with our Tarot roots and learning so much not only about the decks, but ourselves and our lives! The Daily Draws thread is also insightful, I check it a few times a day. So far I've managed to write up a daily draw every day, even though I don't always post them right away. Finding that "me-space" and "me-time" to shuffle, draw the card, contemplate it, and write about it is really refreshing even (especially?) on the busiest day!
I agree! I just posted about finding me time Re: Tarot and it's become a valuable part of my day. Even if it is just a few minutes.

Maybe at the end of the month I'll take a look back on the "statistics" - how many Majors, how many of each suit, how many courts, how many of each pip number - just to see if there's some overall message or underlying theme. (Also because I'm a nerd and like to make spreadsheets! :D )
This is why the Daily Draw thread can be a helpful tool as a record of what I posted and what cards I pulled. But I really need to come up with a good solution off of the forum too.

Oh, this is the longest period of my Tarot life that I've stuck to one deck. A month! I made it a full month :thumbsup:. I really love the International Icon Tarot. It goes everywhere with me too, when I can carry it along.