New Deck Interview With Robin Wood Deck

Etheleona

Since I recently got my Robin Wood deck, I decided to use the "New Deck Interview" Spread:

1. Tell me about yourself. What is your most important characteristic? 5 of cups. This is a very strange one. I certainly don't think of this deck as sad & gloomy. I think this means that the deck is very good at portraying emotional issues, including painful ones. Portraying & conveying moods. It will show what I need to see, not just what is pleasant.

Reading the description in Woods' book, I see that this card represents hope amid despair. The deck is able to present a balanced view, showing the bright side of dark situations. It has a deep, complex insight into human emotions & psychology.

The card also has a brooding, introspective look; it shows a hooded figure turned inward on herself. Seeking the mystery that lies within.

2. What are your strengths as a deck? 2 of Wands Rx Once again, for a strength, this is a very strange idea. This card shows the traditional image of the shipmaster with a globe & wands, looking out to sea. Reversed, it would indicate inner rather than outer journeying. The deck's strength is portraying the movement of inner energies. The adventurous & exploratory drive of the 2 of Wands turned toward subjective reality. Sailing on the sea of the psyche.

3. What are your limits as a deck? 2 of P Rx What first came to mind is that this deck won't be too good for practical or financial decision making. I had to laugh at this -- the image on this card is not practical at all! It shows a girl dancing on a tightrope amid the clouds while swan boats sail in the sky. A very fanciful, & Airy portrayal of this usually more down-to-earth card.

After reading Wood's own account of this card, I saw another interpretation. Wood explains that the Two of Pentacles represents her concept of balance, the sublime balance that can appear miraculous, like a boat sailing through the air. She also says that she doesn't believe in a balance between good and evil, but rather that evil itself is imbalance. Now, in my personal philosophy, what human beings call good & evil are both parts of a larger natural order. This philosophical difference places a limit on how closely I can map out her paradigm onto mine, particular in the area of duality. In other words, it would be best to use another deck for the purpose of integrating light & shadow in a way that makes sense to me.

4. What do you bring to the table -- what are you here to teach me? 7 of Cups. Using my creative imagination, exploring multiple options, & opening up to astral & imaginal realities. I can hardly wait.:) :)

In her book, Wood talks about how she was one of the first artists in the 1970's to revise & build upon the Rider-Waite by using her own creative inspiration. For me, this deck still has that freshness of breaking new ground. Without early pioneers like Wood making copies of their drawings on mimeograph machines & snail-mailing them to friends, we wouldn't have the current wonderful proliferation of faeries, vampires, etc. A lot of Wood's imagery is very fanciful & original, but still relevant to the traditional card theme.

5. How can I best learn from and collaborate with you? Knight of Cups Rx Following the flow of emotional energy inward rather than outward, tracking it back to its source. Elias talks about this a lot: notice your own energy, focus on what you are expressing & the process you are following, rather than primarily on others or external outcomes.

6. What is the potential outcome of our working relationship? The Star Well, I can't argue with that. :) The Star is one of my favorite cards in any deck.

From RWT Book (p.73): "Starlight vision. Bright prospects, an awareness of two worlds, mastering the occult arts."

Sounds good to me. :) I do think the imagery on this deck is helpful for fostering a deep intuitive connection. It will help me to link up parts of my conscious & unconscious.

Lots & lots of water - 3 cups, and bodies of water and/or boats appear on the other 3 cards. This is a deck that will aid in emotional & spiritual exploration, & one that will take me places.

I think I know why I got such a weird reading. I've been reading threads in which people ask about the positive meaning of negative cards or vice versa, & my unconscious is playing around with the idea.