Rider Waite card(s) secret......

Freddie

Here's a Rider Waite secret that I recently learned about. I can't believe I never noticed it before.

Take tarot key X (Wheel of Fortune) and look at the letters on the wheel. Turn it around and read it both ways. Then look at tarot key II (The High Priestess). Wow.... Am I the only one that never noticed this?

Freddie

tarotbear

You mean the 'tarot/tora' similarity? Wouldn't exactly call it 'secret'. Taro means 'road' and Tora means laws. Spell it backwards and you get 'rota', which also means wheel.

Pollux

tarotbear (04 Dec, 2001 15:05):
You mean the 'tarot/tora' similarity? Wouldn't exactly call it 'secret'. Taro means 'road' and Tora means laws. Spell it backwards and you get 'rota', which also means wheel.
YUP YUP YUP, It's not really a secret...
Hail to thee, tarotbear. I wish you would post your opinion in my topic on 10 pents as well... :'(

jmd

tarotbear (04 Dec, 2001 15:05):
Wouldn't exactly call it 'secret'. Taro means 'road' and Tora means laws...

The Tora(h) is also the Old testament, the sacred book held by the High Priestess in Waite's version of the deck.

This Wheel of Fortune representation originally comes from E. Levi, and has other 'hidden' meanings:

Orat - to speak/say

Taro - I have to qualify Tarotbear's statement. According to repeated unexamined statements by a number of authors, 'Tarot' is presumed to derive from 'Ta Rosh', presumed ancient Egyptian for 'Royal Road/Path'. This meaning has seriously been questioned.

Rota - which tarotbear has already pointed out, means 'wheel' or 'to turn'

Ator - a variant of the ancient Egyptian Goddess 'Hathor'

and a couple of others... left to discover

I you wish to discover an even more hidden 'secret', look at the various symbols on the Fool's tunic...

Freddie

I didn't mean "secret" that literally, but it is true, it's no secret. Maybe I'd called it semi-hidden symbolism or something like that.

In reading Paul Foster Case I've found out things about the current deck (Tarot Classic) I'm using that never occured to me as well as the R/W. It's strange (meaning me) that a person could look at the same deck for a long time and never pick up on some of it's symbolism.

Thank you all for the info,

Freddie

Freddie

JMD I'll check out "The Fool". I still can't believe I never noticed the words on the wheel. Thanks for the extra info all.

Evelyn

I am so glad that someone has posted this obsevation Ilove it when there is these discoveries !!!! keep up the observations and keep up the sharings .......... I have taken this info and shared it with another friend and this has helped us to go more into the card and to get more of a feeling for it .. Abig ty

cj

Hi all,

All I have to say is WOW...Never noticed the Fool's cloths..

any other insight for beginners to notice?

cj

jmd

How about these ones:

The Pomegranates on II & III.

Which cards have both Roses and Lillies?

Check the Moon's towers, and then the Death Card.

How many Majors have a prominent square depicted on clothing (eg, Justice)... Which also have the point-circle?!?

And what of the Lingum-Yoni on the Chariot!?!

Why use B(oaz) and J(aochim) on the Pillars... and what is their esoteric and Biblical reference...

That's enough for starters!!!

Freddie

JMD & Tarotbear, we are waiting for books from you both.

I've found I can see alot more symbolism with my Universal Waite deck. I will say I wish the backs would quit rubbing off on the other card faces. I've got black streaks all over this deck.

Is "The Hermit" in the Ten of Pentacles card or am I imagining it's him? It almost looks to me like they are up in "The Tower" with him on the same cliff he and "The Fool" stand on.

Great info, Thanks,

Freddie