Honing my Celtic Cross

Lord Pulsar

I'm having trouble deciding between three Celtic Cross layouts to use as my standard. I know you're supposed to be flexible and let the energy of the Seeker determine the spread, but I do like to have a reliable foundation, especially for my personal readings. I also know that finding the right spread takes lots of time and experimentation, but I'm not in a position to do lots of readings for many other people, and reading for myself over and over, well... law of diminishing returns, anyone? So i'm just wondering if anyone has any insights into the deeper meaning of the Cross that I can apply to the following three layouts.

The Cross itself always seems to work well for me. It's remained pretty standard:

1. The present situation
2. The challenge or obstacle
3. The root cause or unknown force
4. The past influence
5. The conscious ideal or projected future
6. The future influence

Then, for the "Staff", I vary. Here's the first one, which is the one described in the book that came with my standard deck, Fradella Adventure Tarot. The artist seems to think that it goes best with the imagery in the deck, and I wonder if I should too...

7. Your fears
8. The feelings/opinions of family/ friends
9. Your hopes
10. Final outcome

So the character of that spread seems to be exploration of your perspective on the issue, gauging emotions and whatnot. Now here's a second one I found online and was drawn to:

7. Your self-image
8. How you come across
9. Guidance/ How to proceed
10. Final outcome

Now this spread seems to expand the range of the reading far outside of oneself. The Seeker learns how he views himself, how his peers view him, and what he ought to do to set himself straight. Finally, here's the third one, which I believe I invented. I'd gotten a little tired of most of the cards offering different (often confusing) perspectives, and I really wanted to see if I could expand that "Guidance" card. I remembered how the Cross is often seen as feminine and the Rod masculine, so I separated them more - the Cross as passive meditation on perspectives and influence, the Staff as an active course of action to help solve the problem.

7. What you should start doing or look into
8. What you should keep doing or renew
9. What you should stop doing or be wary of
10. Final outcome.

I like it, but I wonder if it's too defined now. Does it have too much advice for the average Seeker to accept? Have I crossed a boundary? You tell me.

So there's that. What do you think? Which would you prefer if I was reading for you? Do you think there's a way I could combine them? Also, as a side note, I'm wondering if anyone uses alternate meanings for the 10th card - I've been thinking of experimenting with it, but can't figure out how to start. Thanks!

Tiddles

I'm not much help, but I have to say that I am frequently stumped by the staff. Particularly positions 8 and 9, even 7 doesn't seem to fit at times.

JSNYC

I created a thread talking about the Celtic Cross, based heavily on Waite. Understanding the Celtic Cross I think the positions I concluded with (and still use) most closely mimic your second version, thus that would be the one I would choose.

7. Your self-image
8. How you come across
9. Guidance/ How to proceed
10. Final outcome