Do you get tired after reading?

Barleywine

I'll bet this differs depending on whether or not someone is an Introvert, Extrovert, or Androvert.

Barleywine, which one would you describe yourself as, if you don't mind my asking?

Introvert(41%) iNtuitive(59%) Thinking(50%) Judging(41%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (41%)
You have distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (59%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (41%)

Sulis

No! Most of the time I feel energized, although often very thirsty. When I do psychic fairs, I give a series of 20-or-30 minute readings back-to-back with little rest time between. Once I did three Lenormand Grand Tableaux in a row with no fatigue, each one over an hour long. I get caught up in the story-telling pleasure and fun of it and don't feel drained. But I usually sleep well later. :)

I think reading in person is less tiring than reading by email.. It's all the typing that really tires me out and having to work out how to phrase things etc. Reading in person, I just open my mouth and speak but yes, I get thirsty so need to keep water nearby or the voice goes.

AnemoneRosie

I find it less draining in person as well.

Eider

Barleyvine, very interesting. Good thing too. Sounds like fun. :)

I tend to get tired in any human interactions. Not this fast though. And the physical reaction I had after the readings felt extreme and very odd. People just suck the life out of me easily. XD

Barleywine

I think reading in person is less tiring than reading by email.. It's all the typing that really tires me out and having to work out how to phrase things etc. Reading in person, I just open my mouth and speak but yes, I get thirsty so need to keep water nearby or the voice goes.

Good point. Working with reading commentary here, I've been honing my short, pithy phrases, generally keeping each card to a sentence or two unless there's good reason to stretch out. But for paying e-mail customers, I would feel like I wasn't giving enough value if I did that. When I get my blog up and start doing them regularly, I'll have to work on my "short, pithy paragraphs." Ideally, I should be able to keep a 10-card CC reading at less than two full typed pages.

Dogs&Coffee

Introvert(41%) iNtuitive(59%) Thinking(50%) Judging(41%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (41%)
You have distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (59%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (41%)

Hm... well there goes that theory :3

DaughterOfDanu

I definitely notice a lack of energy after doing readings. Especially paid ones as I really push myself to give the sitter all the information I can get from the cards. This is why I enjoy free readings a bit more as I can do them when I have the time/energy/desire and I don't need to do more than I feel is enough.

In person I can go much longer without feeling tired. Talking is easier than typing.

and if you're doing a reading by email or online, there's all that typing, it's like writing an essay.
And this is why, for me at least. I'm very detail oriented when I do online readings. I want to make sure I'm sending quality works to my sitters and it becomes like an essay for sure!

MandMaud

I can't do more than one for-others reading in a day - and not more than three in a week (unless I did absolutely nothing else that week, presumably, but I haven't had the leisure to try that!). If I could do more, I'd be doing it for money by now. :(

I have twice done that for a month, and was burnt out.

I also haven't found a way of making a reading last less than an hour, of which half an hour is actually reading (with the cards, and making notes) and then 3- to 60 minutes typing it up (during which I get a lot more insights so the reading isn't complete in the "untyped" first half-hour).

I don't think it's "intuition exhaustion" exactly; my intuition and/or spiritual sense and/or picking up on things unseen and unspoken... whatever it is... gets a lot of exercise most of the time. Reading the cards is different somehow and I wish I could determine what the difference is. The empath part of me gets a real workout in a reading! Which may be it now I come to think of it - I live comfortably with that part of me "in hand" from day to day but if I rein it in when reading, my accuracy dies. Aha. Thanks for this question, it's given me a clue to this puzzle! Maybe, then, it's "empathy exhaustion"?

Not sure I'd want to read with the empathy switched off, if I even could; it wouldn't feel honest.

Reading for myself rarely takes more than 10-20 minutes, with a lot more cards than I use when reading for others. I find it necessary to use spread positions for myself, as I can't trust myself to interpret by "feel" when I'm personally involved, though I don't generally use positions for others. In fact for others my standard reading is two cards and that takes the time I describe and produces 300 to 1200 words of write-up.

MandMaud

It's interesting that people are mentioning both physical and psychic (for want of a better word) fatigue. Of course, the two aren't separate and some in this thread feel the one as the other or vice versa. :)

Yes. It's definitely exhausting! However, because I'm a professional reader I've had to work on my stamina. So now, I can complete 3-5 readings before I'm exhausted. It's one of the reasons that I don't read for free; the energy exchange has to be honoured.

Really interested how you work(ed) on your stamina? Just by building up gradually how many you do, or something else? Really, seriously interested in details, for practical reasons. :)

I'm the opposite, my brain has always communicated directly through my fingers onto the page (or screen, nowadays) whereas in person all the "paraphernalia" of intonation, expression (theirs more than mine), and so on take so much of my attention that more energy is required to explain myself. That's in ordinary conversation - not just smalltalk, which is formulaic - everyday conversations, rather than readings. However if the conversation is stimulating I am energised afterwards, even if physically tired. More so if it's fun. If it gets emotional and deep, that energises me too but I wouldn't be able to walk straight into another at that level. (Which is what therapists know. :))

Grizabella

I learned to type when I was 15 and I've always typed throughout my life so I kind of like it. I do get tired when I've done a full day of it, though, and when my laptop repeatedly decides I've given it a command when I haven't on this laptop. I guess that means I've been typing for 56 years now. :rolleyes: Geez, am I really that old?

But to answer the question about being tired from reading, I do get tired after a few. But not from the typing. It just sort of taps out my reading energy. In person there's sort of an energy exchange so I can do more in-person readings without tiring than email readings. Email readings are more of a stretch for me.