Book depository order

violetdaisy

Yes, I was just so super excited about these cards. You seem to understand. Honestly, I had no idea that amazon ordered from other places. Thanks for letting me know :) maybe I've always been lucky because regular amazon purchases still arrive relatively quickly for me. I honestly thought going prime simply meant free expedited shipping ( as in they will send it priority versus regular media mail.) I had no idea it might mean they will pull items quicker off the shelf and get it to transport faster. Did I misunderstand?

To put it into perspective - I have to order dog food (one of our dogs..has some kind of allergy I'm trying to pin down & is definitely food related). What I ordered was prime. After I ordered I noticed it said something about getting the item 2 days after it was shipped....which would be an additional 3 days so...in this case prime was 5 days, not 2. They did let me know about the additional time, but it was in small print...glad I wasn't completely out of her food! So now I watch the wording.

When I sort by Prime also find "free shipping" items that definitely won't arrive in 2 days, more like 3 weeks or so, as a Lenormand deck I ordered was. The info is there, but you have to look for it. On the flip side, I ordered something that was to arrive between the 13th & 15th and arrived on the 8th so wasn't home to get it....

olivia1

I understand your concerns and generally agree, but there's another side to it as well. Buying from an individual or small business won't guarantee a problem-free transaction either. Of course many individuals and small businesses are great to deal with, but you may also be subject to an individual's whims, instabilities, or lack of ability to follow through on obligations.

So, in my view, you'll have one set of potential problems when dealing with the big companies, and a set of different potential problems dealing with small companies or individuals. Pick your poison! :)

I didn't think of that. I just assumed people who sold decks would only advertise deckas they had on hand. I had no idea online shopping could be so complicated. I don't shop much

olivia1

Thank you for your reply.

I have placed dozens of orders at the BD and only once received a damaged deck, due to a printing error and not through BD's fault. They've replaced the deck at no extra cost.

I don't completely understand why you have determined that requesting a replacement is pointless, but be that as it may. I hope you find a provider that is right for you and your needs, just as I have found mine in BD.
Blessings [emoji92]

Well I felt that way because though it's not my fault the item was damaged, I thought it would be a waste of time to put effort into appeasing me since I was already a lost cause either way. I figured they should spend the money and effort in retaining the customers they do have. However, I've changed my opinion since then

gregory

I didn't think of that. I just assumed people who sold decks would only advertise decks they had on hand.
You know what - when you said that, I remembered something. I ordered a deck from a small on line retailer last year - it showed on her website as available. A week later she let me know she didn't actually have it. No problem; she did refund me - but - stock control isn't perfect anywhere. I know I own a novel. All our novels are on shelves in alphabetical order. It isn't there. I know I own it. If someone had asked for it, I would have known I had it. I want to read it. But....

And I was grocery shopping the other day and thought they had moved something I buy regularly. I got staff help. They KNEW where it was. But it wasn't. They actually said "but it 's always here, and we always have it in stock - it sells so well..." There wasn't even a tag on the shelf to suggest it had ever been there.

However hard we try, not one of us is perfect !

barefootlife

Yes, I was just so super excited about these cards. You seem to understand. Honestly, I had no idea that amazon ordered from other places. Thanks for letting me know :) maybe I've always been lucky because regular amazon purchases still arrive relatively quickly for me. I honestly thought going prime simply meant free expedited shipping ( as in they will send it priority versus regular media mail.) I had no idea it might mean they will pull items quicker off the shelf and get it to transport faster. Did I misunderstand?

You definitely want to look at your Amazon purchases before you buy and see if they say that they're from Amazon or through another retailer. There's a difference in wording that means it's in an Amazon warehouse and therefore will arrive on time (theoretically, because usually the screwup is with the post, not Amazon, in my experience). Otherwise they might be sending off to a third party, in which case all bets are off.

Definitely agreeing with Amazon packaging sometimes being amazingly wasteful, though. Good think my cat likes to play in boxes.

olivia1

You know what - when you said that, I remembered something. I ordered a deck from a small on line retailer last year - it showed on her website as available. A week later she let me know she didn't actually have it. No problem; she did refund me - but - stock control isn't perfect anywhere. I know I own a novel. All our novels are on shelves in alphabetical order. It isn't there. I know I own it. If someone had asked for it, I would have known I had it. I want to read it. But....

And I was grocery shopping the other day and thought they had moved something I buy regularly. I got staff help. They KNEW where it was. But it wasn't. They actually said "but it 's always here, and we always have it in stock - it sells so well..." There wasn't even a tag on the shelf to suggest it had ever been there.

However hard we try, not one of us is perfect !
Greggory to be fair, Your tarot collection is legendary. I would've made an exception for you had you forgotten what you had and didn't have. I'm actually surprised you actually know which decks you have. That's not an insult; that's pure admiration

olivia1

To put it into perspective - I have to order dog food (one of our dogs..has some kind of allergy I'm trying to pin down & is definitely food related). What I ordered was prime. After I ordered I noticed it said something about getting the item 2 days after it was shipped....which would be an additional 3 days so...in this case prime was 5 days, not 2. They did let me know about the additional time, but it was in small print...glad I wasn't completely out of her food! So now I watch the wording.

When I sort by Prime also find "free shipping" items that definitely won't arrive in 2 days, more like 3 weeks or so, as a Lenormand deck I ordered was. The info is there, but you have to look for it. On the flip side, I ordered something that was to arrive between the 13th & 15th and arrived on the 8th so wasn't home to get it....

I'm very sorry for that but glad you saw it before hand. Thank you for sharing. I had no idea it could take up to three weeks with prime. I always assumed prime was super fast hence the expensive price. I guess it's just a way to save on shipping if you buy online often.

gregory

Greggory to be fair, Your tarot collection is legendary. I would've made an exception for you had you forgotten what you had and didn't have. I'm actually surprised you actually know which decks you have. That's not an insult; that's pure admiration
I have a huge database. It works. (in fact ONE deck is awol as we speak :mad:)

But novels are something else, and I am still annoyed, and I still haven't found it :mad: My memory is not what it was - but I even know who gave it to me - and all our novels really are alphabetically ordered :(

FLizarraga

I'm very sorry for that but glad you saw it before hand. Thank you for sharing. I had no idea it could take up to three weeks with prime. I always assumed prime was super fast hence the expensive price. I guess it's just a way to save on shipping if you buy online often.

Oh, no. She's referring to the fact that when doing a Prime search one finds a lot of third-party stuff that says "free shipping," because it is free for Prime members, but it is not Prime shipping, so it will not take two days like Prime merchandise does. Sometimes it is convenient to put up with the longer wait if the price is good enough, of course. Just like Book Depository, IMHO.

I have a huge database. It works. (in fact ONE deck is awol as we speak :mad:)

But novels are something else, and I am still annoyed, and I still haven't found it :mad: My memory is not what it was - but I even know who gave it to me - and all our novels really are alphabetically ordered :(

A lot of times the missing stuff is right under my nose. Which I hate, because it makes me feel like an idiot. And of course sometimes things just fall behind a piece of furniture, or get hid by a cushion, and it's right next to you...