Golden Dawn Spread

firecatpickles

This spread (1st operation only, that is) is growing on me fast. It is difficult to come up with a story, as always.

These are a few idiosyncrasies I am developing for myself:

1. I count the cards as suggested, starting with the one closest to me/the querent.

2. I follow BOOK T but I count by "7" instead of "9" for the 5 planets and 2 luminaries --call me old fashioned, I guess.

3. I remove the cards I land on, since it has been mentioned that the ones you don't land on are more important. I make note of them as a starting off point.

4. I reorder the cards as thinbuddha suggested above:
"FH
EI
DA
CB
&"​

5. After I do all this I usually end up with a more doable number of pairings, 7 to 9 of them, which correlate nicely with the chakras, purple/crown being the cards "closest" to the Significator.

KK

firecatpickles

I forgot to meantion also that I have taken to removing weakened or cancelled out pip cards (after doing the counting); that is, if a water is surrounded by fire, for example, I will remove it as well.

The Significator is also removed.

KK

thinbuddha

kilts_knave said:
4. I reorder the cards as thinbuddha suggested above:
[indent

I don't ever actually re-order the cards. When I say I do pairings, I am considering the cards as pairs (as if they were a bunch of 2 card spreads) but I don't remove them from the string.

On the story- It's actually pretty easy, if you know the meanings of the cards. Basically, and court card you land on represents a person- the pips represent their actions/attitudes/situations, the Majors represent the influences on them that are outside their direct control (at least this my system). It doesn't really turn out to be a "story" that has a begining middle and end- it is more of a narrative about what the different characters are feeling or doing in relation to the question at hand.

It is *much* easier if you start doing this with small spreads and work your way up as you feel more comfortable. I started out using something like 5-9 cards at a time. Now I usually use something like 11-15 cards at a time. I don't use the whole deck and split the pack (as in the first operation), because frankly when I get 20-30 cards lined up in front of me, I get frazzeled and can't make sense of the reading.

-tb

firecatpickles

thinbuddha said:
...When I say I do pairings, I am considering the cards as pairs (as if they were a bunch of 2 card spreads) but I don't remove them from the string.
I do both. We are actually talking about the same thing here. Sorry couldn't be clearer...

KK