The InnerCity Tarot - Gonna give it a go.

Little Baron

I'm stuck, lol.

Not sure whether to work on the computer, paint a picture or sketch with a pen.

Have asked my friend who is an illutstrator to come and have a chat with me tomorrow. Because I can paint, but not wonderfully. And I can use Illustrator and Photoshop, but not to a high level. So it is going to be difficult to get these pictures looking how I want them. They really need depth.

LB

Gardener

pen, work in pen! I love the life in the pen sketch, and besides you and Chronata are clearly inspiring each other and hers are masterpieces in Sharpie...

Eco74

Yes. Pen Please!
That way you get it all in the rough format you started off in and are still very much free to "prettify" them in another format later if you feel you need to.

Also, just have to say I love the idea.
There are so many decks on 'going back to nature' and having one show us in our man-made world, submerged to our necks in it even, would be a great thing indeed.
There are a few already ofcourse, utilising the everyday life aswell as looking into the very dark recesses of it. But I also very much like the look of the first sketch and the inspirational photos and think that this could really become an interesting project.

Little Baron

I thought some more.

I looked through some books. There are some amazing fashion illustrators out there that use computer wizardry. And I could see these pictures in that format, but I didn't really like them. They lacked the energy of the 'stroke'. However beautiful they were, they seemed flat to me.

But when I paint, I make a mess. I really do. Actually, whatever I do, I make a mess.

So I am going to try something out that I havn't before.

I can see my little 'fool' in my mind - finished and complete [which is more of a hinderance than an asset, I feel]. In this deck, whether named or not, he is 'The Dope'. He is small, young, and olive-skinned. He smokes because he doesn't think about the damage it might do tomorrow. He emerges from the shadows, knowing not what he will find in his next step. And he is beautiful, in my mind.

I bought a square canvas [the shape will probably change if I don't dump this project by tomorrow]. It was the cheaper alternative and I am a little skint at the moment. It's just to try this out.

I bought black pastels. There is going to be a lot of black.

I bought a large box of coloured pastels because there will be a lot of colourful characters emerging from the darkness.

And that is that.

I have never really used pastels. Infact, I havn't really done anything like this is a long time. I am excited but know my limitations.

So we shall see how it goes.

LB

Ruby7

Hi Little Buddha,

I think that you really do have a very interesting character and starting point. The artwork looks great with what you used. Definitely prefer the original colour one to the more simplified one. I'm looking forward to seeing more and to finding out how the pastels work out for you. I love pastels but have never worked with them very well. somehow your original seems "right" to me but I think you do well to explore other mediums before deciding.

All the best,
Ruby7

Little Baron

The Beginnings

Oh my God!!!!!

How much mess can you make with pastels??!!!

Lots!!!!!

I look like I have been playing in a coal mine.

But I have started ..

And pastels are NOT easy .. at all.

But I am experimenting, so that is ok. This is just a trial.

So I thought I would show my first humble strokes.

LB

Attachments

• fool.jpg
    fool.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 138
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 140

Gardener

Oh, that's just wonderful! You've really got it right! Yes, charcoal is an enormous mess, so I imagine pastels would be too. I don't have the touch with pastels, so mine are tucked away to try again some other time. I'm glad you took the plunge, because the result is splendid. You should be feeling enormous pride and excitment, right now. You really got it!

Shaymus

I see the profile of another face in that one. It's off to the left, eyes not showing, and he appears to have another cig in his mouth (pointing upwards).

Shaymus
I like these.

Little Baron

I think I see what you mean, Shaymus. His second ear.

I am not sure how I am feeling about him. He looks nothing like how I wanted him too and he is developing at a speed of his own. A whole new character is coming through. He looks and feels as though he wouldn't be out of place in the New Orleans Voodoo. Even though that wasn't my intention, I am also pleased as I love the artwork in that deck. Does anyone else see what I mean?

LB

Just to add, I am enclosing the raw beginnings of another head I did on the computer. Yes, I know he has no ear .. or much else. But I just wanted to compare the two styles for now.

Attachments

• 11-09-06_1810.jpg
    11-09-06_1810.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 133

Silver_Skye

I dont' know the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot well, so I can't comment on that, but I think your artwork is wonderful!

Even though he's not progressing into what you had thought he would - once you finish him he may still want to be the fool, or perhaps he'll be just right for another place in the deck.

Your pastels work is lovely.