The Little Window Tarot

Debra

Oh Mrs OP, these are wonderful. Those little animals on the wheel are hanging on for dear life, aren't they--as we do when our fortunes change--with the fella up top so confident. I like the wings. On Judgement, I like the integration of the angel's form with the sun and the way we can "see" the sound with the horn blowing. I also like the flow of images from card to card.

Yay!

spoonbender

You're back!! I have MISSED you and your deck, MrsOnePotato. I'm so glad you're still planning on finishing it. :)

The two new cards are awesome. Love them.

Spoon

MrsOnePotato

Thanks all, for your kind words! :)

Karen, glad you like them! At this point I've only got 22 cards in me....the idea of finishing all those court cards is just too much! So for now, I focus on a majors only deck.

Feretian, thanks! I will be self-publishing (that's another reason for keeping it to majors only). I need to start thinking about the backs, etc., now that I am close to being done!

Debra and Spoon...thanks to you both for you continued (and extended) support and enthusiasm. With only six cards left to go, there is DEFINITELY a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe I can get this thing done in time for Christmas, if I keep the momentum going...

Oh, and Debra, I think the flow of the cards has worked out well because I designed all the cards before I started working with color. So they all have a similar 'architecture' to them.

I'll post Temperance and The Emperor soon!
:)

MrsOnePotato

A word of explanation

Still working on Temperance and the Emperor, and worrying about the cards to come...most of the remaining cards had given me problems in the sketch phase of the project, and I've been avoiding them on purpose. Not a good idea, as it may take some extra time to get them right.

In the meantime, there has been a lot of discussion in other parts of the AT forum that has focused on the Deck Creation area...including some presumptions being made about why some of us post our work here, what we expect, what we shouldn't expect...and some suppositions about my motivations have been quite surprising.

So, I wanted to explain to the (relatively small) group of people who have taken the time to look at my deck in progress on this thread a little about why I enjoy this Creation Forum and how much I appreciate their interest. I actually started this deck BECAUSE of this forum. I had been trying to find a way to begin drawing again after many years of focusing my creativity solely on my professional design career, and this forum provided a great motivation. I could work on a long term project, and there was an opportunity to share my work with an interested audience whenever I had something new to show. That is a rare opportunity indeed! And frankly, I really didn't see any point in creating a bunch of drawings and piling them up in a drawer. Artists like their work to be seen.

I've also enjoyed seeing other decks in progress, by professionals and so-called "amateurs." I believe that creating art is a positive thing. It's good for people. Period.

Now, regarding my expectations. Some of the discussion in the other threads has been focused on the dangers of encouraging artists here to publish....let it be known that I have had NO plans to seek out a commercial publisher for my deck. My plan has always been to self-publish a small run of cards for my friends, and also as a means to see the deck through to its final form...in the intended size, as cards with borders and titles, etc. It seems to me that to leave them as a stack of drawings would be to leave them unfinished.

But no one needs to worry that I harbor some deep down wish to have these commercially published. As a professional graphic artist, I feel fortunate to have this opportunity to express my creativity without commercial concerns...I am well aware that this deck is not going to make me rich. Really.

I've made some great friends in this area...and I truly appreciate every comment and word of encouragement I've gotten in the last year and a half. I invite people to continue to freely express their comments about my work, whatever they may be. Within the visual arts, feedback has always been an indispensable part of the creative process. To characterize this as a lack of artistic conviction or ability is, quite frankly, simplistic.

So I'll continue posting my cards until I'm done (assuming the Tarot Creation forum isn't shut down or something).
Thank you, thank you for all of your support.

Sincerely,
MrsOnePotato

Feretian

MrsOnePotato said:
Feretian, thanks! I will be self-publishing (that's another reason for keeping it to majors only). I need to start thinking about the backs, etc., now that I am close to being done!
Please pm me when its ready :)

Debra

MrsOnePotato said:
Still working on Temperance and the Emperor, and worrying about the cards to come...most of the remaining cards had given me problems in the sketch phase of the project, and I've been avoiding them on purpose. Not a good idea, as it may take some extra time to get them right.

Thought I'd highlight this--I get the impression that many people don't have a "sketch phase" of the project; just go card to card (hoping for inspiration). Planning it out in advance, that's probably something that a pro takes for granted and the rest of us...don't :D

PAMUYA

Very impressed! Thank you for sharing.

MrsOnePotato

Thanks Sassyjackal...glad you like it! :)

Debra said:
Thought I'd highlight this--I get the impression that many people don't have a "sketch phase" of the project; just go card to card (hoping for inspiration). Planning it out in advance, that's probably something that a pro takes for granted and the rest of us...don't :D

First I did rough sketches in a sketchbook, and then I made a final for each on index cards. I was going to post an example of a sketch for comparison with a finished card, but I'm a complete slob and can't seem to locate them at the moment. As soon as I track them down I'll post a pic....

la-luna

I'm not sure if i posted here in this thread before, and no i dont have any earthshattering things to tell but i only want to show my admiration for the great work you've done. it looks great !!!

nicky

Let me echo la-luna.. admirable work !!

:)

Nicky