Book of Law Study Group 1.27

Grigori

Book of the Law Study Group 1.27

Aiwass said:
27. Then the priest answered & said unto the Queen of Space, kissing her lovely brows, and the dew of her light bathing his whole body in a sweet-smelling perfume of sweat: O Nuit, continuous one of Heaven, let it be ever thus; that men speak not of Thee as One but as None; and let them speak not of thee at all, since thou art continuous!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

Aeon418

I typed out a full post, pressed submit, and my internet connection went wiggy. Typical! :laugh: Lets see if I can remember the main points.

There's a striking difference between this verse and the last. Verse 26 opens with "prophet and slave". But this verse opens with a Priest who rises up to kiss the goddess. I see this as an ascending response to Nuit's "bending down, a lambent flame of blue".

The prophet and slave of the previous verse sound somehow low. Maybe prophet is Yetzirah/mental, and Slave relates to Assiah/physical. But the Priest is of a higher nature. The fire like Hadit nature within the individual that rises up in response to Nuit's bending down?

The rest of the verse speaks about ultimate deity being None rather than the traditional One. Anything you might say or think about Nothing is actually something, and therefore falls short. Silence is closer to the truth.

cardlady22

When I use my playing card calculator, the variations for "one" work out to the Eight of Hearts or Diamonds, the Power of Love or Values. Addiction to gaining the objects associated with these is the danger. The "none" works out to the Nine of Clubs. A receptive suit; Universal Knowledge that Transforms.

Grigori

The word "continuous" really strikes me from this verse, perhaps because its repeated as both a title and description. I looked it up in the dictionary, and was suprised to see a shade to its meaning that I hadn't thought of.

Dictionary.com said:
Uninterrupted in time, sequence, substance, or extent.
Attached together in repeated units.

The first meaning was apparent to me, an uninterrupted everything/nothing. But the second, a series of repeated units was unexpected. The examples reminded me of automatic gun fire. Each short blast is a noise itself, but when there are hundreds of them at length, they stop being individual shots and start being something else (maybe just more longer noise :laugh: ) I would not have thought to think of Nuit as "repetition" but perhaps that is a word that should apply also.

Yygdrasilian

(א)one

I'm not reading this...
Aiwass said:
...and let them speak not of thee at all, since thou art continuous!
A contradictory utterance...much like the definition of continuous
(paradox within paradox)

So, then, does Nuit = Unit & Un- It?

ravenest

similia said:
The word "continuous" really strikes me from this verse, perhaps because its repeated as both a title and description. I looked it up in the dictionary, and was suprised to see a shade to its meaning that I hadn't thought of.

The first meaning was apparent to me, an uninterrupted everything/nothing. But the second, a series of repeated units was unexpected. The examples reminded me of automatic gun fire. Each short blast is a noise itself, but when there are hundreds of them at length, they stop being individual shots and start being something else (maybe just more longer noise :laugh: ) I would not have thought to think of Nuit as "repetition" but perhaps that is a word that should apply also.

Interesting. Each little 'unit' or point or bullet would be an 'Hadit' (if I may use the term that way), a stream of them coming together creates the perception of an Hadit - a point event or experience. I mean, we can say each person is a point of existence and experience, but we can view the whole of humanity as well as an experiential 'unit'. So if Nuit is continuous - a stream or collection of point events, which in turn is Hadit, that can seem contradictory. Yet, if Nuit is everything (and 'everything' by definition must include the concept of nothing) 'she' must, as well as a 'field' of potentiality, also include any manifestation in that field.

Did any of that make sense? :rolleyes:

I had trouble with this for a while as Iwas seeing Nuit Hadit as two seperate things but .....make no difference between one thing or another :shrug:

[ Hey, where's the shrug icon? ]

Always Wondering

Ravenest said:
Yet, if Nuit is everything (and 'everything' by definition must include the concept of nothing) 'she' must, as well as a 'field' of potentiality, also include any manifestation in that field.

I couldn't get there either because I was stuck on 2. 2 certainly implies repitition to me. It's a bit mind bending, but I follow you.

AW

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
There's a striking difference between this verse and the last. Verse 26 opens with "prophet and slave". But this verse opens with a Priest who rises up to kiss the goddess. I see this as an ascending response to Nuit's "bending down, a lambent flame of blue".

The prophet and slave of the previous verse sound somehow low. Maybe prophet is Yetzirah/mental, and Slave relates to Assiah/physical. But the Priest is of a higher nature. The fire like Hadit nature within the individual that rises up in response to Nuit's bending down?

To tell the truth, I am just not getting this bending thing.
The lifting I can relate to, ascending to higher, understanding, values, whatever is important to a person.

I understand Nuit is all around and Hadit is the center, which creates an arching. I get that if I look up into the sky it appears as if it is arched around the earth. But those are only half pictures. Nuit is all around Hadit. The sky is all around earth.

I can't seem to trace it down to any kind of pragmatic, workable meaning.

I know, I've complicated this all in my mind. :| It's probably as plain as the nose on my face. My guess is it has something to do with my HGA, since everything always does. :laugh:

AW

Grigori

Always Wondering said:
To tell the truth, I am just not getting this bending thing....I can't seem to trace it down to any kind of pragmatic, workable meaning.

I'm thinking of this as a recognition that Nuit is reaching for us, as much as we are reaching for her. Of her reaching for Hadit if that is more correct *shrugs*. Since Nuit is "divided for love's sake, for the chance of union" the bending confirms Nuit is an active participant in the process and wanting that same union.

*starts picking daisies and singing*
"She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not, she loves me" :D

Grigori

Also, I wonder about the word "bending". It seems to imply some kind of reduction, or lessening, to reach something lower. Perhaps that could be related to the idea of the HGA, or Ra-Hoor-Khuit or other personalized aspects of deity. Reduced divinity, in order to fit into our teeny tiny human brains. ;)