Book of Thoth Study Group- The Fool

Diwha

Hi All

Seing we are doing the Fool, can anyone tell me where the other two fools come from and what is their reason of being?

Diwha

Zephyros

I didn't know that different cards had different musical notes assigned to them. Where did you find that?

Diwha

Hi closrapexa

I didn't know that either, and I'll be darned if I can find the site again, I tried for about a half hour this morning. I found this on a site after about an hour of searching and wandering on pages and links about the Fool. That is the reason I posted it to see if anyone could go anywhere with that. I will travel again tonight and try to find more on this. Well this is exactly why we have this forum, to learn and explore the cards.

TheoMo

If the cards *did* have musical notes attached to them...that would be pretty revolutionary, at least for me. I wouldn't be able to wait to play my spreads! Or take a famous piece of music and match it up with a spread. What would Beethoven's 9th look like? Too exciting...good luck finding that link! ;)

Diwha

The fool would never believe something he did not personally experience himself.... There are fools everywhere.....lol

''The wise man speaks for he has somethinfg to say, the fool speaks because he must say something''

Amitié Diwha

Diwha

TheoMo

please share your eternal knowledge with me..... I want to learn

Zephyros

Caduceus

The herald's staff or wand of Hermes. It is usually depicted as a winged rod with two serpents intertwined about it. As a group of fertility symbols, it is emblematic of the magic potency of the deity, and of the prosperity of peace.

Just thought to post this definition, since no one has talked about it yet and it appears many times in the deck. An interesting symbol.

Diwha

Found something

Tarot for Dummies by Amber Jayanti. For those who might not have this book or the works by Case, the musical correspondences are:

Fool = E
Magician = E
High Priestess = G#
Empress = F#
Emperor = middle C
Hierophant = C#
Lovers = D
Chariot = D#
Strength = E
Hermit = F
Wheel of Fortune = A#
Justice = F#
Hanged Man = G#
Death = G
Temperance = G#
Devil = A
Tower = middle C
Star = A
Moon = B
Sun = D
Judgement = middle C
World = A

Paul Foster Case (of BOTA) was the first person to assign musical notes to major arcana cards. Various modern tarot books give details of Case's musical note correspondences.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/song.htm

Diwha

TheoMo

CreativeFire said:
I have also been wondering about the animals depicted in the card as well, TheoMo.

The Butterfly - is akin to the air, it is the mind, and the abiliity to know the mind or to change it. It is the art of transformation - transformation of self.

I was just thinking about the animals this morning. This interpretation of the butterfly makes a lot of sense -- it transforms from the catterpillar to the butterfly, stands for us.

The dove -- could it be as simple as equating it with the Christian dove, a symbol for the holy spirit? It radiates off some type of energy in the card in the same way that doves in Christian art radiate.

What do we make of the order? Does it matter that the dove seems to follow the butterfly which seems to follow the caduceus? Is the dove the beginning of the end of our journey, that which leads to the transformation to the butterfly, and then towards finding our power through the caduceus?

the croc - I perused some websites on crocodiles and mythology

http://www.viewzone.com/israel.html

This one seemed to mention that the crocodile, at least for some Mediterranean peoples like the Egyptians and Israelis is a symbol of evil. The croc seems to be slithering ever so carefully in the card, almost hiding behind the spirals, keen to not be that seen. Maybe this is the equivalent in other decks where the Fool doesn't see the cliff -- the croc here perhaps represents unseen dangers on the fool's journey, dangers that are part of the journey and must be encountered.

Finally, the tiger -- still no clue. ;)