oracles vs tarot

Water Lady

could someone help to clerify some things.
I know oracles have different number of cards, I don't know why?
I am thinking oracles are read in a more intuitive ?? not sure if this is right.
if that is not the difference, what is?

any other major differences?
Is there a list of most popular like in the tarot decks?
thanks

Master_Margarita

Check the Oracle Decks Forum Index for some earlier answers on this subject:

For example here.

Here's a thread on favorite oracle decks...

:heart: M_M~

Water Lady

I saw the favorite deck site but it is 2007 and I did not think very up to date.

the other site answers all the questions. thanks.

Master_Margarita

Nan said:
I saw the favorite deck site but it is 2007 and I did not think very up to date.

the other site answers all the questions. thanks.

Here's a thread from late 2009.

Here's the Oracle Decks Forum Index. Check out the threads indexed towards the bottom.

HTH

:heart: M_M~

IheartTarot

Nan said:
could someone help to clerify some things.
I know oracles have different number of cards, I don't know why?
I am thinking oracles are read in a more intuitive ?? not sure if this is right.
if that is not the difference, what is?

any other major differences?
Is there a list of most popular like in the tarot decks?
thanks

The term oracle is debatable. Tarot is an oracle deck too but on this site non-Tarot decks are called oracles to differentiate them from Tarot decks.

Most Tarot decks have 22 or 22+56=78 cards and a standard structure of suits and card meanings just different artwork.

Non-Tarot oracle decks can take any format, some are also derived from playing cards like Tarot (e.g. Lenormand, Kipper, Sibilla) and some have no structure whatsoever just x number of cards with different meanings.

I would not say they are more intuitively read, probably the opposite. Lenormand and Sibilla cards are probably more straightforward to read than Tarot in general as they have quite specific meanings.

You also get angel cards and inspirational oracles (e.g. by Doreen Virture, Sonia Choquette, Louise Hay).

Using non-Tarot decks just adds variety to your card readings and gives you more divination tools to work with. Tarot seems to be more suited to life path/spiritual issues whereas non-Tarot seems more suited to nitty-gritty everyday stuff (in general).

You can look at my list in my profile to see what I like:D.

Water Lady

Thanks for the input, I see you have the Fey as a favorite, I have it but have not used it much lately.
Can you tell me what it is you like about it?

greatdane

Can only answer for myself

I see and read oracles much the same way as I do tarot, but that's because I'm more of an intuitive reader. Tarot is both easier and more difficult because there ARE basic meanings I can look at when I'm a bit stumped and need to consider more options than I may be seeing. Oracles feel a bit more of a free for all for me, which means I feel more free with them, but even if they have a booklet, I think they're more up for interpretation. Again, just ME. I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts of how both work for them.

IheartTarot

Fey Tarot

Nan said:
Thanks for the input, I see you have the Fey as a favorite, I have it but have not used it much lately.
Can you tell me what it is you like about it?

It is actually a toss-up between the Fey and Vanessa, but they are very different so hard to say which is my No 1 favourite.

The Fey is beautiful and uplifting, some would call it sugar-coated, I prefer to focus on the brighter more positive side of life. It makes me feel good. It is otherworldly so allows me to escape a bit. It is magical.

The Vanessa is just so down-to-earth, modern, sassy and realistic, I can relate to all the characters as if I know them. It is fun, tongue-in-cheek and also straight to the point.

IheartTarot

Fey Tarot images

You can find all the card images on the artist's website, I set one as my pc desktop background every day (after drawing my daily card).

http://www.mara-aghem.com/mara aghem/tarocchidellefate.html

If we talk about this anymore here, the moderators will give us uphill (wrong thread/forum):D.

IheartTarot

greatdane said:
I see and read oracles much the same way as I do tarot, but that's because I'm more of an intuitive reader. Tarot is both easier and more difficult because there ARE basic meanings I can look at when I'm a bit stumped and need to consider more options than I may be seeing. Oracles feel a bit more of a free for all for me, which means I feel more free with them, but even if they have a booklet, I think they're more up for interpretation. Again, just ME. I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts of how both work for them.

I think this depends on the reader as you say but also on the type of "oracle". Oracle decks like Soulcards, Dreaming in Colour and the Secret World of Crystals lend themselves more to scrying and intuitive reading. Oracles derived from playing cards (sometimes referred to as "fortune telling cards") like Lenormand/Kipper/Sibilla generally have very specific standard card meanings. That does not mean they cannot be read intuitively, especially if the artwork lends itself to that!