Thank you

Maan

This might be of toppic so feel free to delete this but i would like to say that these threads helped me alot in my tarot study.
And i would like to thank you all for posting such great information!

catboxer

Maan:

I'm sure I can speak for everybody by saying we appreciate the compliment. It's nice to know we're not typing away in total obscurity.

This part of the forum will not be quite as lively for a little while, during jmd's absence -- I think he's going to be gone a couple of weeks. And I'll be gone from July 8 until the end of the month. But I'm certain nobody now participating is planning to drop the project.

Please feel free to jump in any time you have something to contribute.

CB

jmd

... and I too would like to echo what Maan, catboxer and Diana have mentioned!

These threads have definitely helped me in my tarot studies - so thank you all for your posts - and also thank you for your compliment! As catboxer mentioned, we would welcome other participants jumping in.

With Diana, I agree that the threads are certainly helping to deepen one's Imaginative understanding of what underlies Tarot: What lies beneath is certainly awe inspiring!

Maan

inspired by this study group i bougth a tarot deck called tarot de paris....so maybe i will be hoping in soon :)

A little question: On the side of tom tadford little the tarot the paris is called a belgium deck...so is it NOT a marseille style deck? And if not what is exectly the diffence?

jmd

I do not have the Tarot de Paris, but Belgium type decks usually especially differ in their representations of the Devil and the Sun. The Devil is, on those, often depicted as solitary (or consuming human beings) and walking, and the Sun similarly to Waite's representation.

But please join in and let us know.

maiden

Just wanted to add that I too, am enjoying this particular study group and you are definately not typing away for nothing.

I'm enjoying this very much! and learning along with the enjoyment! ;)

Maiden

Lee

Maan said:
A little question: On the side of tom tadford little the tarot the paris is called a belgium deck...so is it NOT a marseille style deck? And if not what is exectly the diffence?
Hi Maan, I'm not sure that it's clear, are you really referring to the new Tarot de Paris deck? I would say that the Tarot de Paris is not a Marseilles deck at all. The Majors are photographs of statutes and don't look anything like standard Marseilles representations, and the Minors are all illustrated, while in Marseilles decks the Minors are unillustrated, like playing cards. Also, in the Tarot de Paris all the Majors have been renamed. I think all these things would disqualify it as a Marseilles -- but perhaps I'm confused and it's a different deck that you are referring to.

-- Lee

jmd

Thank you Lee. I must admit that until the more recent threads in the Tarot Decks section mentioning the recent Tarot de Paris, I had incorrectly presumed that the deck referred to the Parisian versions of what is often generally referred to as Marseilles, but which more properly are Northern French and Belgium decks.

Lee of course is correct, and the newly created Tarot de Paris, despite its name, is not French, but photographs of Parisian statues - and not resembling traditional Tarot.

The site linked in Tarot decks is, if I remember correctly, situated in Hawaii, and the artist's love for the iconic, for photography, for Paris and for the Tarot is, I think, clear.

Lee

I must apologize to Maan -- from a more recent post it's clear she's referring not to the photographic Tarot de Paris but to an antique deck with which I was not familiar.

-- Lee