I'm just mad

MissChiff

It makes me really mad when people say that the RWS is just a baby deck or a beginner deck.. I was watching YouTube and then reading the comments and someone had the nerve to say that the RWS deck was for people who play at reading tarot. I read the Thoth and the RWS and they are two horses of a different color indeed. But I can get just as much from the "baby" deck and it's the deck preferred by most of the people I read for..just had to get that of my chest..

new_wave_romantic

WHAAAT?!?! RWS is definitely not a baby deck. It's a big scary deck. I'd say some of the kinder oracles or cuter decks are baby decks because they don't hit you as hard with heavy stuff. there's lots of sweetness in some of these decks to soften the blow. personally, i found RWS really tough and hardcore--definitely not ideal for beginners, just because it can be a little harder to get a message out of them and the message that they intend for you. As one of the simplest decks, there is a lot there to read for and they really are harder to 'train' if that makes sense. UGH. RWS is SO not a baby deck. I had to take steps *down* from it and work my way back up to it using some sweeter, softer decks (Guardian Angel tarot for example)

Richard

It makes me really mad when people say that the RWS is just a baby deck or a beginner deck.....

All that does is reveal their ignorance. My first reaction is anger, and then I remember that they are merely ignorant, which is sad.

Yelell

There are a lot of people who don't like the RWS, or just can't connect with it, and that's fine. There's more than enough decks, methods and theories out there for everyone!

I do think there's a kind of fad where some people say "Oh, well, that deck is fine for you I suppose.... You're just SO inexperienced, a real deck would be too difficult for you anyways. " It's a juvenile attempt to fake their own credentials as an "experienced reader." Whatever. You can try to raise yourself up by actually working at it, or you can beat down everyone around you so that you appear higher in comparison.

daenys

I guess it's time to throw out my Mary Greer tarot books, because she uses a "baby" RWS deck apparently. :chinhands:

gregory

It comes from two groups of people - those for whom the Only True Tarot is the Marseilles, and those who espouse the Thoth as the REAL THING and EVER SO DEEP and that. (NO disrespect to those many TdM and Thoth excellent scholars here who don't get so dismissive of others.)

They are just showing that they can't see outside their own boxes. Which in fact shows that they are themselves the babies, unable to look further.

Zephyros

Ironically, I find that attitude espoused both by the deck's lovers as well as its haters.

Among those who love it, the RWS is seen as easily approachable and a good deck for beginners but many teachers also preach projecting one's own associations onto it and not going further to see what it is actually about.

So, great depth it may have, but nobody knows what actually lies down there, because they don't bother diving. It really is a deep deck, I just don't think it is appreciated for the right reasons.

Tigerangel

I have never like the images on the RWS decks, but to say it's a baby deck is out of order, even though I don't connect with it visually it was my main learning material as I used the tarot bible and most websites use the RWS, so I feel it's actually a firm foundation to learn tarot on and using other decks just give that extra perception of the RWS meanings.

Yelell

Ironically, I find that attitude espoused both by the deck's lovers as well as its haters.

Among those who love it, the RWS is seen as easily approachable and a good deck for beginners but many teachers also preach projecting one's own associations onto it and not going further to see what it is actually about.

So, great depth it may have, but nobody knows what actually lies down there, because they don't bother diving. It really is a deep deck, I just don't think it is appreciated for the right reasons.

I'm not sure that I would be able to recommend it to beginners though, because it doesn't really grab their attention. It's not flashy and sexy like the Tarot of Vampyres or something. As more modern decks come out it becomes less approachable and almost dowdy by comparison.

DesertDream

I hate this too. I think whoever says this either follows the status quo of the tarot community and agrees, or just really dont know anything about the deck or tarot at all or both. To me, when it comes to these deep and elaborate decks its like the bible, your not going to learn either completly in one life time. It may be percieved as that also because there is alot of training wheel packages that come along in the rw deck. But by no means does these beginner packs cut close to the real meat of all what the rws contains. If i heard someone say that in real time, id start throwing all kinds of questions as to why they think this way and gauge what they really know. Id be like ok. Please give me an explation on ALL the systems and symbols used and what they mean and why there here and the history but first grab me a coffee cuz this is gunna be a long day! But still people want to call it simple LOL. yes ancient occult symbols and thousands of years of philosophys and meanings are like soooo easy to grasp. Im so above you because you must be sooo lame using the rws, sooo 100 yrs agooooo like omg. YEAH RIGHT and im arthur waite easter bunny. Hahahaha. Ive been reading for ten years and im still cracking the code to rws.