Your fave herbal remedies

celticnoodle

We have other threads here on the same topic, but because the one I found was very long (24 pages) and many years old--started in 2008!, I thought I'd start a new one here.

Anyone have any great herbal remedies that they'd like to share?

I'll start us off with some that I am planning to start using on a regular basis again:

1. Oregano. A healthy sprinkle of Oregano on your food daily is very beneficial for many things--in particular allergies and respiratory allergies too. Its also a great immune booster as is rosemary and thyme--and these 3 herbs go great together in foods. But, if you wish to just make a tea - you can do that as well or purchase some of the oregano oil (make sure its the kind you can ingest!) and mix with water daily.

2. Bug repellents made with basil, lavender, lemongrass, lemon thyme, mint and/or rosemary are also great. Peppermint is also a great herb (in a pot!) to keep on hand for a refreshing drink and helps with IBS, stomach cramps and bloating. Its also a good headache reliever and helps with nausea. And, is another good allergy and asthma reliever too! But this lovely herb is very invasive. So, best to put it in a pot! Also, bugs do NOT like the aroma--and will avoid the plant too.

there are various recipes for bug spray repellents using naturally home grown herbs or you can purchase the herbal oils--(mints, oregano, tea tree oil, etc.) to make on the site, "Wellness Mama". I love that site. check it out.

empress's dress

celtic noodle! thank you for this!

test to see if you are sensitive. we are all totally individual in our reactions.

ginger truly helps for nausea.

slippery elm bark at the first twinge of a sore throat.

cade oil, comfrey, oatmeal, calamine lotion, zinc paste and seaweed for certain skin issues.

for digestive issues alone or in some combination: chamomile, holy basil, comfrey, ginger, marshmallow, slippery elm, ceylon cinnamon, caraway, cardamom, licorice, anise, aloe, blueberry juice, goat mineral whey.

for all other things i find i have to combine natural remedies with allopathic ones to get a successful outcome.
things i can't live without that have broad uses are goat mineral whey, ginger, ceylon cinnamon, cardamom, caraway, aloe vera leaves, hot and cold compresses, garlic, blueberry juice, sour cherries, bananas, beans.

also a quick warning: for people with serious digestive issues, peppermint relaxes the esophagus muscle and may give temporary relief but usually causes worse digestive issues in the long run.

and comfrey should never be imbibed for more than a few weeks. it can be toxic. for me, it is really delicious and soothing. but i am careful to not over do it.

Barleywine

Not herbal but natural and organic: raw apple cider vinegar. It brought both my eczema symptoms (there is no cure) and my acid reflux under control, as long as I take it regularly (1 tbs. in 8 oz. of water).

empress's dress

Not herbal but natural and organic: raw apple cider vinegar. It brought both my eczema symptoms (there is no cure) and my acid reflux under control, as long as I take it regularly (1 tbs. in 8 oz. of water).

going to just say i apple cider vinegar doesn't help me in either case it helps barleywine. not syaing it doesn't work. i am only saying nothing is universal. in fact acv in both instances it helps barleywine creates hell on earth for me. for me acv with the mother even diluted burns like crazy outside and in! i think it's really important to stress how individual this stuff is. i find herbal remedies can be just as dangerous as allopathic ones. one side is not better than the other. what is best is what helps you live with the least possible discomfort and side effects.

i feel like it is really important important to stress that even if works for us everyone should test something before they commit to anything.

Flames

WART Remedy

This is NOT herbal.

It involves a vegetable - eggplant!

Peel the eggplant and cut it in a long strip. Take the strip and wrap it around your finger (on the wart), or place it directly on the wart, wherever it is on your hand. Take a cloth to keep the strip in place. Make sure to use the inside/white/flesh part of the eggplant directly on the wart.

Do this at night. You'll experience some itchiness, possibly, a burning sensation - but that's a good sign because it means it's working.

In high school, I had about eight in total - four on each hand, on my fingers. I went to the dermatologist but nothing worked. I felt desperate and everyday, I would go to school wearing band aids, just to cover them up.

My father one day was listening to the radio and they were talking about old Italian remedies. Apparently, while the women were pickling the eggplants - and therefore, slicing eggplant after eggplant - they noticed that any growths on their hands would disappear after a few days.

So, I tried it...and after a few days, the smaller ones dried up, turned black and literally, fell off.

The larger one took a little longer but I was amazed when it too, fell off. Honestly, to this day, I'm still so grateful that my father was listening to the radio when he did. :)

Barleywine

going to just say i apple cider vinegar doesn't help me in either case it helps barleywine. not syaing it doesn't work. i am only saying nothing is universal. in fact acv in both instances it helps barleywine creates hell on earth for me. for me acv with the mother even diluted burns like crazy outside and in! i think it's really important to stress how individual this stuff is. i find herbal remedies can be just as dangerous as allopathic ones. one side is not better than the other. what is best is what helps you live with the least possible discomfort and side effects.

i feel like it is really important important to stress that even if works for us everyone should test something before they commit to anything.

Certainly good advice. The question was "What's your fave," not "what will work in all cases."

empress's dress

Certainly good advice. The question was "What's your fave," not "what will work in all cases."

so true. i will chill out! lol.

eta: sorry celtic noodle. i am really cautious with this stuff.

celticnoodle

it's okay, empress's dress--but Barleywine is correct, the title is "your fave". that said, it is also important to be careful about trying anything new--same as with any new medicine that is prescribed by a doctor too! In fact, before using natural remedies, you can also check w/your physician to make sure it won't interfere with any other medicines.

That said, Barleywine, I met a lady once through my job working with seniors. She was a caregiver to two lucky seniors. When I met her, I thought she was THEIR DAUGHTER. She looked that young. But, (if I recall correctly), she was the same age as they were--and grew up w/them. I asked her secret and she told me that from the day she was born, she took apple cider vinegar diluted in water. Her mom began giving her a wee bit when she was a newborn. She took this daily and she was healthy as a horse and looked INCREDIBLY young! Its suppose to be good for whatever ails ya! All I can say is that this lady I met would've been the best advertisement for selling it!

Empress's dress, I do know that about ginger. the fresher you can get it - the better. Its also a wonderful reliever of pain, too, as it reduces inflammation.

Flames, that is SO COOL about eggplant! I'll remember that! I got a series of warts on the bottom of my foot one year in my teenage years. Went to the doctor though and they took care of it, and then I had to have a bandage for awhile on it. I so wish we had known about eggplant then! I also had some on my finger once, and the meds did get rid of them. but eggplant is much better imo!

Amazing how we can use natural things, such as herbs and even fruits and veggies to relieve and cure things. I am lucky that my current doctor agrees and is in full support of my trying natural things first.

greatdane

Oil of oregano to help ward off, well, a lot! I don't take it as a supplement, but as a remedy, sometimes precautionary measure. I have used it for years medicinally and while others get colds or flu, even with a flu shot, I have had neither in many years. Not saying it will always work, but it is my herbal remedy of choice.

theFeeLion

I'm a HUGE fan of using fresh ginger for nausea. I keep some in the freezer so I always have it on hand. Usually I just make it into a tea and drink it. Also good if you are feeling very hungover lol you get hep with any nausea and rehydrate at the same time :D

One this I like to make when I have a cough is a mixture I found on pinterest. 1/4 tsp each of ginger and cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp each of honey and ACV, all mixed together with 2 tbsp of warm water. Take 1 tbsp as needed :)

I got this next one from a lady at the local farmers market. She said taking a spoon of local honey every day will help with seasonal hayfever.

I use milk powder and grated nutmeg as a facial exfoliater. The milk helps to hydrate and moisturise the skin, and the nutmeg helps to absorb excess oil. I find the nutmeg is also great with dealing with blackheads.

Cold black tea is great for sun burn. The tannins in it help to take the sting out. I keep some in a little spray bottle in the fridge during summer.

I could go on, especially when it comes to skin care (I'm a beauty therapist and love making my own skin care products :D) but I'll leave it at those ones for now

:love: Fee