The Gilded Tarot Royale

rwcarter

Ciro said early on (maybe it's over in the Tarot Decks thread) that Llewellyn wasn't interested (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and that with his contract with them, he could only off a LE that's above a certain price point so as not to compete with the 1st edition Gilded.

ETA: here you go

gregory

******* (this is also known as "expletive deleted"...)

OK - so what can we all do to make Llewellyn see sense ? Because they are wrong - even commercially wrong. You know this; I know this - who else in this thread/on this forum would buy an MM but couldn't afford an LE ? (I admit I would buy both - but then again I am known to be tarotically insane....)

ETA thanks for the link.

Is now officially furious..... :mad:

cirom

Hi Gregory, I can't really answer your question as I don't have control over Llewellyn's decisions, nor to be quite frank do I understand them in this case.
I certainly wanted to produce a special edition because that allows me to tinker with size, card stock, finish and outer packaging. But I also envisioned for this to be the future mass market version as well, with a correspondingly lower price and the greater access they can provide through distribution and retail channels.

I assumed that they would have embraced the idea of a "subjectively" better version injecting new life into a product that already has certain name recognition as sound business. But apparently they thought otherwise.

So unless they change their minds, I'm afraid its only the special edition, along with their condition of the higher price. I regret that.

Little_Sparrow

I agree with Greggory! This is all wrong!

Ciro, if you can find some way that we can help - don't be afraid to put it out there - in a community like this it wont look like begging! Its more than obvious you have huge fan base! :thumbsup: I intend to buy the special edition (even if I can't quite afford it :( ) but I would love to have a MM version as well! This deck is amazing! With all the hard work you're putting into this it just breaks my heart to see that a company you've been with for so long as so little respect for your vision.
We've got your back Ciro!

cirom

Well first of all thank your for your comments and offer of help, I appreciate the gesture. But I think I need to clarify my position also. It isn't a question of needing help to persuade Llewellyn, at least not from my perspective. Because without going into specific details, suffice to say that based on past experience and my reference of having self published several decks, there is ironically no additional benefit to me of a mass market version, because in the absence of one, there is more demand for the special edition.

The regret I referred to earlier is simply based on quantity. When you invest months and years of work into a project, obviously there is more satisfaction and emotional reward from knowing that a larger number of people own and use your work rather than less.

The benefit of persuading Llewellyn to reconsider would be that anyone interested in the deck would have the option of a mass market one at less than half the price.

Llewellyn clearly felt there would be a risk to tamper with the current version, or they simply couldn't be bothered to. Interestingly that decision came after having seen only one early sample image, which suggests a rejection of the idea rather than any serious appraisal of the actual look. Ironically they are probably less familar with images of this deck than you are.

euripides

what sort of price ranges to limited editions tend to be?

While I'd hate to think that there would be people for whom this deck would be out of reach due to price point, in many ways I think this deserves the extra luxurious touches that Ciro is talking about - it would be sad for it to be on inferior stock or with less than stellar print quality. He's taken the artwork to a whole new level.

gregory

I've bought LE decks from $25 (not possible with this given Llewellyn's prices and the fact that they are WATCHING.... !) up to um well, three figures not starting with a 1....

I can't see this coming in at less than - $75 ? Which will rule out SO many people who would LOVE more of Ciro's work. MAD MAD MAD.

And - well, I don't know how MANY Ciro plans to print, but I feel sure he would have no trouble selling out an LE - even from within forums. Can Llewellyn not see how much people wanted ToD, for instance, when it sold out ? Can they not see that of all those people they have sold Gilded decks to, easily half would buy a second version ?

Shoot - self - foot....

*still :mad:*

BlueDragonfly

Gorgeous trailer, Ciro! :thumbsup: I am So looking forward to this edition!

Yes, for those of us on a limited budget, LE editions are few and far between. And it is such a Shame(on you Llewellyn) that this can't/won't be produced in MM.

I've actually started saving for this..... a buck, a quarter, here and there, in a ceramic piggy on top of my dresser(right smack in the middle) as it is the only way I'll be able to add this to my collection. But I Will!

cirom

I
I can't see this coming in at less than - $75 ? Which will rule out SO many people who would LOVE more of Ciro's work. MAD MAD MAD.

I'll wait for the estimates from the printers and what bells and whistles I can include, for example the gold trim and possibly mixing both gloss and matt finish within the same image.

But as you know the biggest factor will be print run, I have a list of people already interested so as that grows it will a reference of how many to risk producing. I'm aiming to balance all these factors and go for the $50 which is the minimum I will be allowed to offer it for.

Talking of balance, here is Justice.

Attachments

• NG justice comparison.jpg
    NG justice comparison.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 180

Aurora369

Love the new Justice card. And, as for pricing, I just hope it stays under $75.00...but, I can always ask my hubby to get it for me for a Christmas present, if it comes out before the end of the year..