The Gilded Tarot Royale

Jes

personally, i don't understand how anyone could ever regret buying any one of your decks Ciro!

cirom

I wasn't referring to my decks necessarily, it was just a general issue I'd read about here on Aeclectic, but thanks for the comment anyway.

Myrrha

These images really preserve the essence of the Gilded while being richer in color (and more controlled in color if that makes sense), more detailed, and with more real-looking people.

I will miss some details of the original Gilded (the insane orange cat in the Six of Cups especially) but all in all, this looks like a wonderful deck. Those people at Llwelleyn are out of their minds not to want to publish this.

Tomsde

I can't figure out the publishers at times, especially since the original Guilded was such a hit--but I have noticed that once some people self publish and publishers see that there is a big interest they then want to publish the deck by their company. I have yet to figure out what the Tarot card market really is, I have read it's primarily female, but that still doesn't tell me much about the themes they choose and think will be popular.

gregory

On many occasions, members here have mentioned buyers remorse because some cards from a deck didn't match their expectations.
I can never understand this, myself. No-one (well, very few people) expect to read an entire book before they buy, and really - everything one buys will turn out to have unexpected aspects.

And any minute now someone will point out that a book is different. Well, OK - but also - just how many decks don't have ANYTHING we don't like about them ? Even NISABA has a card in GRANNY JONES that she finds gently inexcusable. :D

cirom

I have to say I agree with the book analogy or a movie or a show. Lots of things where you don't get to see the whole thing before you commit. I also would imagine that there is something nice about having some surprise left when you actually receive and open a deck package for the first time.... But in this case where the deck is a reworking I thought it would be appropriate to allow people to get a hint of comparison at least.

gregory

Oh I agree with you - this is a rather different case. Changing something that is already much loved...

A bit like having to ask for planning permission before putting a new house next to my view :)

Tomsde

Creating a Tarot deck is rather daunting, when people are critical I think they should try to design their own deck (even with just stick figures) or even just color the RWS or Vachetta. As with all artwork viewed by the public, there is no accounting for taste--some people may like a certain card, but other's dislike it. An artist has to be true to his or her artistic vision and carry on because it is impossible to please everyone. Some people will like what you do, others not like it. I collect Tarot decks for the sake of their artwork, some I find attractive or interesting but wouldn't want to read with. IF someone likes the majority of cards in a deck, I wouldn't understand why one would have buyers remorse--with 78 individual images it would follow that some would be more appealing to the viewer than others. If one went to a gallery displaying 78 paintings of an artist, does it make the whole exhibition bad if there are some painting that don't correspond to one's tastes? I've gone to the Brandywine River Museum to view the works of Andrew Wyeth many times. There is is one painting of a body defrosting in a snow bank which I find disturbing, but I wouldn't tell people, don't go to see the Wyeth exhibit because it has a rather nasty painting in it and none of them are worth seeing.

Owl Song

Ciro,

If I missed it--forgive me. But I'm wondering what the card stock is like for the Gilded Tarot Royale? I have your smaller Tarot of Dreams and your Oracle of Visions. Is the card stock comparable to one of those or is it different?

I'm just curious; I'd buy the deck if you printed it on napkins!

:)