Isbn on box/copyright date on cards?

toj

There is an eBay auction for a RWS deck that the seller is adamant that it is a true 1971 printing. To him it has to be because he sees nothing except the 1971 date on everything on and in the box and as such it can't be disputed. It is a Swiss printed deck, but not a 1971 printing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221344835952

It has an ISBN number on the box and in a email he confirmed there are copyrights on the cards. Does anyone know what year the copyright was added to the actual cards and possibly what year the ISBN number was added to the box? I think it was the 90's that the copyright showed up on the cards, but never heard a definitive date for it. I think he would only understand if there is something I can reference which specifies when the isbn and copyright were added to the box/cards. Can anyone help? I have looked and not found any answer to those specific questions...

Richard

In this post, Mary Greer (Teheuti) states that the copyright did not appear on the cards until around 1975.

toj

In this post, Mary Greer (Teheuti) states that the copyright did not appear on the cards until around 1975.

Thank you LRichard...

I had previously told him a copyright date on the cards would mean the deck was not printed in 1971. He responded back that I didn't know what I was talking about and his experience told him it was an actual 1971 printing. I gave him the info regarding the 1975 date along with basic data on how to see what edition he might have and all he answered back was thanks. I don't think he believes me either.

Richard

I probably have the same deck. The box is almost exactly the same. I recall dating the printing as between 1980 and 1985. The cards are not laminated, so just for fun, I removed the copyright on the cards easily with a pencil eraser (with occasional help from an ink eraser). }) The printing is excellent compared to that of the more recent editions. Considering how beautiful the cards are, I think that a price in the mid $20 US range is not unreasonable for an unused deck, but I would not pay more than $30 US. Used decks like that in excellent condition can be had for far less.

It is too bad that the seller is confused about what a copyright date means.