New Find: Meyer's "Art Nouveau" Tarot--SQUEEE!!! :)

MacMorrighan

I am in the hospital with my brother (he's been here a while, healing from a dislocated knee and VERY serious leg injury!), when I stopped by the Half Price Book Store where I picked up a hardcover copy of Starhawk's book, "Truth of Dare", and a rare and apparently moderately valuable new or like-new tarot deck from 1989—“The Art Nouveau Tarot” by Matt Meyers! It sells (new!) for $75.00 on Amazon, but HPB’s was selling it (originally!) for $50, but there was a second price tag on it for $40 (a deduction of $10). However...*I* walked in with a coupon for 50% off, which means that I bought this rare tarot deck for a whopping $20.00!!! #SKOR

My ONLY "complaint," is that the cards are not slightly bigger since the artwork is so beautiful! I mean, an extra inch all the way around with be fabulous! I have the standard size, not the mini version.

BTW, I'm not sure how to judge a "new" tarot deck. The cards look unused, while the box has been opened (not sure if a previous owner did that or the store itself since they stock the actual cards up front by the check out! The cards look as though they've never seen the light of day, LOL!

AJ

order them, sometimes cards are missing or doubled even in a brand new deck. Congratulations on your find.

MacMorrighan

order them, sometimes cards are missing or doubled even in a brand new deck. Congratulations on your find.

Yuppers! The only card that seems to be missing is one featuring the artist, Matt Meyers, whom I would like to know more about. Also, whomever posed for The Chariot is a stone cold fox! ;)

Morwenna

I bought it ages ago and I don't use it because I don't like the storylines in the minors, but it is gorgeous and for that reason I'm keeping it. But the friend who recommended it to me back then used to read with it happily all the time.

I keep thinking I ought to try matching the minors to the RWS system I know, just to see if it can be done...

MacMorrighan

Allow me:

http://www.newagehipster.co/blog/matt-myers-creator-art-nouveau-tarot

Enjoy :D I LOVE the deck. I bought it as soon as it came out. I love the fact that it is dedicated to Ursula LeGuin - a favourite author of mine.

Thank you! I have a TINY crush on the artist, and whomever modeled for The Chariot card (I have a mysterious thing for Cancers, too!). And, I totally adore this deck, but my only real "complaints" is that I wish the cards were a TAD bigger because the artwork is so pretty, and that I wish the Major Arcana were a bit more stylized like the Minors. ;) But, I love using it, regardless!

Shade

I do love that deck, it was one of the first decks I owned and would take with me to high school in some battered red box. Later I wondered if having the minors tell the story of four different couples was unduly limiting but it really helped me to learn the suits way back when.

I am certain the hunkiness of the Magician and Priest cards had a lot to do with my enjoyment of the deck.

MacMorrighan

I am so excited over the fabulous deal I was able to get this deck for! Considering the condition of the box and a few ancillary cards were missing (EG one depicting the artist) I think it was overpriced anyway. I typically prefer it when the Half Price Book Store doesn't know what they have; but, I do! LOL!

MacMorrighan

I do love that deck, it was one of the first decks I owned and would take with me to high school in some battered red box. Later I wondered if having the minors tell the story of four different couples was unduly limiting but it really helped me to learn the suits way back when.

I am certain the hunkiness of the Magician and Priest cards had a lot to do with my enjoyment of the deck.

It was the same with me and The Chariot card! :)