Card prices?

SpiritOfTheDogz

Who else looks on Amazon and thinks "who are they kidding, they're not worth that much"

I've been checking the prices of some of what I consider my "worst" cards and they're crazy, it makes you think "are they really worth that much, if they are I'll wrap them up in cotton wool"

DesertDream

All the time!

Its want not worth driving the prices of those decks lol.
But hey maybe if you sell your worst decks, youll have $$ to buy your best decks!

Heres a deck that just RADIATES energy to me and to my third eye. Im surprised my intuitIon likes this deck, the images speak volumes! It only has two stars and a long time ago I didnt like it until it was reccomended for me(i was then probabley ready for this deck). However it is OOP and outrages price!
Maybe one day....

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/philosophers-stone-self-awareness/

SpiritOfTheDogz

Wow they are expensive, I even checked here in the UK Amazon site and they're even worse, thought mine were bad at around £60

The thing is though, people have them up for sale at that price but I'm guessing that they rarely sell

DesertDream

I have thought that too. I heard there is a new version, maybe a reprint, for cheaper but I can't find them. I can't imagine there would be much of an audience for this deck anymore, so why the high price? I can understand victorian flower oracle being high though....i need to be rich so buying all these decks will seem like im just putting out pocket change for these babies!!

SpiritOfTheDogz

I can understand victorian flower oracle being high though

It was a flower oracle that got me thinking about this but not one as well known as the Victorian Flower Oracle, it was the Mother nature oracle I was looking at and even for that they're asking over £60 as was another deck I checked the price of, The Art Deco Fortune Telling Cards which i have and never use.
I think some people just think rare means something is worth a lot when that's not always the case

DesertDream

I think some people just think rare means something is worth a lot when that's not always the case

Yes!!!^^

Thanks for putting it so elegantly. It drives me nuts to see all these high prices, when it is just jacked up because they know people want it. I think the Philosophers stone oracle should be between $30-50$. I mean I doubt others actively seek this deck very often.....and it is rare, but from what I see, not in high demand, not even for strict collectors of decks or fans of the artist.
So what decks do you agree with being high priced & decks you think should be cheap?

SpiritOfTheDogz

So what decks do you agree with being high priced & decks you think should be cheap?

I don't think any should be high priced, well not in the £100's or $100s, generally speaking cards don't cost that much to print so they all should be a good deal cheaper than that and there shouldn't be such a discrepancy in prices, but that's not so much as the card makers than some guy on Amazon trying to pull a fast one.
But back to your question and the only way i can answer it really is by saying the maximum I'd ever spend on an oracle deck would be £30, never ever any more than that no matter how much i want it, they're just not worth it.

DesertDream

Yeah but sentiment is worth so much more $$ haha
30 is fair but some of us just have to have a deck, and if I had the cash to spare youd best believe I would turn into a collector, whether i liked it or not!!!

Unfortunatly I dont have much to spare but treating them as guilty pleasures ocassionally is enough to enable me.

AnemoneRosie

Doesn't help that the Canadian dollar is horrid.
I thought that you all were in love with our prime minister. Doesn't that boost our dollar a little bit!?
I'd love the Victorian Flower, but it'll never happen until I live in another country where the dollar isn't in the pooper.

danieljuk

Some oracles are more expensive, especially the ones with more cards. But I think the really expensive decks are OOP (out of print) and so their value is how desperate someone is for them or would be willing to pay. The Philosophers Stone (which I think I would like in my collection one day) I have seen for very high prices and has been OOP for a long time. Also people on AT have started seeing high prices for the Tea Leaf Oracle because it was OOP and becoming hard to find. It's original price was about £40 (it has a lot of cards and is a huge box) but it went for 3 or 4 times that. They have just announced a reprint and new version so the people charging rip off prices are going to now have to reduce them :D Also seen the oracle of the radiant sun and moon oracle for crazy prices but all have been OOP for a while.

If a deck you want is OOP, Amazon is a bad place to look because people deliberately inflate the prices hoping someone will pay that. Better to search through Ebay (you can set up a search that emails you for your title and sometimes you can catch a great deal!) or there is second hand book sites like Abebooks in the UK. Also if you are a subscriber here, you can post in the trading area that you are seeking a deck, often people might have a spare or one to give away or sell or trade for something you have.

But there is always going to be decks you wish you had got but are now a crazy price and there is always going to be decks you hate or you feel cold towards, that you can't believe how much they are :D