Storing Oracle Cards

hunter

Do you store each oracle deck differently, depending on it's topic?

For now I have my medicine cards wrapped in a bandanna. I like wrapping them, but don't feel like I have the right wrapping. Any suggestions?

cardlady22

Since its nature-related, you might like to look for a piece of suede or leather to form a pouch. You could go all out and decorate it with things you find on a nature walk/trail. If you are not crafty with things like that, there are quite a number of ATers that make bags, etc.

hunter

I can sew, but do not have a machine anymore. I'm living a very, very minimalist lifestyle right now, out of necessity.

chamois cloth might be nice, but I cannot hem it. I need something hemmed. I like the wrap rather than a bag. I'm also not sure if I want to be rustic. I live in the city and am fascinated with urban widlife and it's adaption. If I go too rustic or crafty I will feel like I'm playing with a toy.

There is something about the unwrapping and having a cloth to lay things on. I think what cards are stored in has a lot to say about how we feel about the cards. As soon as I discarded the cardboard box, I saw and felt differently about the cards. It was interesting to observe. My partner had an identical reaction to seeing my wrapped cards.

I wonder if there are any special knots with meaning to use to tie the scarf.

Maybe wrap in a crystal or something else.

I'm also just interested in what others do, even if the info is not applicable to me.

Rev_Vesta

I have my Medicine cards in the same turquoise blue velvet bag...... seems for me personally to go really nice together.. I do seem to tie in the colours of the cards with my bags, pouches or scarves........Works for me.....

meditate holding the cards and see what happens....

Take care

Vesta

Le Fanu

On flea markets, I hunt out old leather cigarette pouches. The type with the flap for a lid and sometimes a strap to tuck it in. Not all types are nice enough, but occasionally I find the right one...

The format for a cigarette pouch is too small for a tarot deck, but is perfect for oracles. I have my Mystical Lenormand in one and also my Astrological Lenormand..

I also have an antique silver soap tin with hinged lid for when I need to travel with my Lenormand. perfect size and perfect protection!

I found a wonderfully battered old leather playing card case too at the weekend. It still had the cards in - old, nasty, dirty cards - so I bartered the price to buy it without the cards!! I thought it would hold an Oracle but was big enough for my pocket Crowley! Perfect!

thorhammer

I like most of my decks to go in bags. I make my own (and sell them) but also trade and buy bags, and am lucky enough to have won one of tarot4fun's treasures, and been gifted a few from others, notably the incomparable Morticia Monroe :heart:. Each bag is chosen to complement the deck it holds, in either visual theme or colours or both.

I like to arrange them in a vague rainbow kind of order in my special Tarot bookshelf. I've attached a picture.

\m/ Kat

Attachments

• Tarot Bookshelf.jpg
    Tarot Bookshelf.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 175

Cat*

thorhammer said:
I like to arrange them in a vague rainbow kind of order in my special Tarot bookshelf. I've attached a picture.
Nice! :)
I think I need to trade more bags with you eventually, so I can recognize more fabrics in future pictures of your tarot bookshelf. ;)

thorhammer

:) Unfortunately, the top shelf's a bit crowded :laugh: and you can't see the lovely creative Lori Walls pouch you made for me. That really is a work of art in and of itself :)

\m/ Kat

stpcarly

Kat that looks like my shelf, although I don't have that many! LOL I can't sew to save my life so I always order one from tarot sulis. she is so sweet cause I'm a pain, always special ordering lol. For my Housewives tarot she made me the perfect match, checkered exterior with a turquoise interior, perfect match! For me, bags are the best.

Purrfect

I have about 4 bags all of which arent tarot bags. They are purses and chinese carry pouches. The rest are placed neatly in a draw in their original boxes.
The problem with keeping them in their original boxes is that the boxes can become scuffed easily from removing and re-inserting the cards.
I love keeping Oracles in puches but it can be too expensive to purchase bags for oracles.
I would ideally like to have bags which relate to or match the decks imagery.