Australian Wildflower Reading Cards

The Happy Squirrel

I have just received this deck and playing with the cards. I found them to be absolutely charming. Accidentally I have my Joie de Vivre cards spread all over table at the same time. The two decks seem to get along good :)

I do understand OP's sentiment about the fact that the book is a bit slim on the botany. I am not a botanical sort of person. But to come into plant based system cold, those seemingly basic and tedious information about each plant might have been useful. Even a photo of how the real flowers look like for example. It seems obvious or extraneous, as the paintings are far from abstract. But as I said before, city dwellers like myself would have had been assisted greatly :) At the moment, I simply google each flower as I go through the deck :)

2dogs

I'm all for the idea of learning about something real in the world of Nature at the same time as linking it to meaning :cool3:.

daenys

I have just received this deck and playing with the cards. I found them to be absolutely charming. Accidentally I have my Joie de Vivre cards spread all over table at the same time. The two decks seem to get along good :)

I do understand the other poster who said that the book is a bit slim on the botany. I am not a botanical sort of person. But to come into plant based system cold, those seemingly basic and tedious information about each plant might have been useful. Even a photo of how the real flowers look like for example. It seems obvious or extraneous, as the paintings are far from abstract. But as I said before, city dwellers like myself would have had been assisted greatly :) At the moment, I simply google each flower as I go through the deck :)

Another fan! :D I actually have the Joie de Vivre too, in my tiny collection... will definitely try the same pairing.

And yes, Google is a lifesaver when working with this deck.

I'm all for the idea of learning about something real in the world of Nature at the same time as linking it to meaning :cool3:.

Keeps you grounded, doesn't it? There are so many plant- and animal-based decks out there, but most (that I've seen) devolve into some ill-defined fantasy when the reality of nature can be so much more fantastical. The Tarot of Trees doesn't even represent any one species when there are tens of thousands to choose from! It's ironic -- and there's value to both sides -- but this is what I prefer, for now.

Given your stellar deck collection (only two?!), I see we're of similar minds. :grin:

The Happy Squirrel

This makes me wonder about the Doctrine of Signature that the author mention. The idea of plant and flower reading. At the moment I look at the flowers and accept the meaning of each. I simply imagine how Waratah express itself so strongly with that colour and shape and imagine how that is similar to our self expression. Or how the swamp lily bloom in the mud. But I don't know why or on what bases those flowers mean those things, and now I am curious! The creator has a YouTube channel and another YouTube-er called shy fox seems to be familiar with the doctrine too :) so I might do a bit of exploring there :)

Daenys are you familiar with all those? :)

2dogs

There are so many plant- and animal-based decks out there, but most (that I've seen) devolve into some ill-defined fantasy when the reality of nature can be so much more fantastical. The Tarot of Trees doesn't even represent any one species when there are tens of thousands to choose from! It's ironic -- and there's value to both sides -- but this is what I prefer, for now.

Given your stellar deck collection (only two?!), I see we're of similar minds. :grin:
Yes, I've parted company with such decks since becoming interested in what meaning is to be found in actual reality :livelong:.

The Happy Squirrel

By the way I just saw two apps NOT for the reading cards but for the actual flowers. One is called Australian Wildflowers the other one Australian Bushflowers :) They are about $3-$4 I think :)