Oracle of the Dreamtime

wavebreaker

Does anyone have the Oracle of the Dreamtime?
I really like the artwork, but is it easy to use? I don't have any oracle decks, so I don't really know how they are used.

I'd probably get it just for the artwork ;), but it would be nice if I could actually use it too.

amyel

tarotlady - we must be drawn to the same decks! I followed your link to the Aussie bookstore & now a deck I've been wanting for some time is on its way to me!

I do have the Oracle of the Dreamtime. I haven't *really* tried to work with it yet. The artwork is beautiful.

the hardest thing for me is that as an oracle, it is a slightly different approach from tarot.....

Zhritza

I have it, and I love the artwork, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to work with it... I don't cope well with roundness, also...

wavebreaker

amyel said:
tarotlady - we must be drawn to the same decks! I followed your link to the Aussie bookstore & now a deck I've been wanting for some time is on its way to me!

Mine is on its way too! ;)

I do have the Oracle of the Dreamtime. I haven't *really* tried to work with it yet. The artwork is beautiful.

Yes, it's the artwork that attracted me to it. I haven't seen the deck itself, but I've seen pictures here on Aeclectic and I think they're wonderful!

the hardest thing for me is that as an oracle, it is a slightly different approach from tarot.....

Yes, that's what I was wondering about, how different it was from tarot. I'm still fairly new to tarot, so I don't really want to start learning another system as well.

catlin

IMO

I have it and tried once a year-spread but the problem was that I could not make up my midn when to count a card as reversed or not. There is a small hand printed on the cards but anyway, out of 12 cards 10 were lying in positions between 3 and 9 so I had to see them somehow reversed.

I think it is a must-have for anyone interested in Aboriginal art and myths but I see it more as a collector's deck than a reading deck.

wavebreaker

Re: IMO

catlin said:
I think it is a must-have for anyone interested in Aboriginal art and myths but I see it more as a collector's deck than a reading deck.

Well, that's a good enough excuse for me to get it! :D
Actually, I don't need an excuse, after all, I'm a taroholic... :p

Aerin

I've resurrected this thread since the deck popped through my letterbox this morning.

I got it from a Marketplace seller on amazon.co.uk - an unwanted gift that had sat on her shelves without being used! I paid just over £10 (£12.55 with p&p): the book hasn't been read and the cards are perfect.

I like the look of the cards, and am looking forward to playing with it and learning about some aboriginal things.

Aerin

ps edited to say: I just did my first reading, and hey completely spot on. I asked what I needed to know to fullly move on from my relationship with a certain person from my university days (it all ended years ago, yet I know a teeny bit of me can still get hooked into emotion thinking about it - it was baaaad!). I did a 2 card first:

main card (issue) - Serpent
kobong - Black Swan
I interpreted this as meaning that that experience was a time of transformation for me, but that I was limiting the power of the full transformation still by a bit of me feeling victimised

Then I asked what I needed to do to make the swan fly fully and I got:
Magpies upright (placed inadvertantly with the darkness pointing towards the Black Swan)
I need to sing and fly and dissolve all remnants of the darkness still remaining. Use the energy of the Magpies to change things.

So.... as I said, spot on. I found it very easy to read with, the book is very well done.

raeanne

Hi all,
Oracle of the Dreamtime is my absolute favorite non-tarot deck! I still need to use the book occasionally to review the myths that go with each card but this deck is always spot on for me! I love it!

Aerin

Yes, absolutely - I can see that you would need to learn the myths very well to be able to read effectively without the book. This is one of the things I like about the deck: while it gives good detailed possible interpretations, it also gives you the stories as a starting point for your intuition to work.

Aerin

RedEarth

I absolutely love working with the Oracle of the Dreamtime deck.
The feedback I receive is consistantly similar, ie how accurate the cards seem to be! It still amazes me, and I know it shouldn't, but each time I hear how the kobong card drawn is that persons personal medicine animal, or that someone who had Sydney harbour bridge in their reading had just moved house..the list goes on but I think you get the picture!

I really like the rainbow serpent chakra spread, and the 4 card spread for more specific but shorter readings.

I have found my own meanings for most of the cards based on looking at the picture and reading the dreaming story. In the beginning I relied more on the author's interpretation, but I feel more confident to pursue my own intuition.

Sharon xx