During which specific time do you feel more ''addicted'' to Tarot reading?

tarot_quest

Hi guys :)

I am posting this thread because my life has been quite uncertain within the last years. I am looking for job since months and for a committed relationship since years. Since there was so much confusion in my life lately (where am I going?) I did multiple tarot readings. I decided to do not read for myself for a couple of days (but I will gladly read for others).

My question is, during which specific time of your life (or given the circumstances) did you read way too much for yourself?

I feel as if most tarot readers have in common that they want to know where things are heading. However, the tendency of over reading on a topic can manifest when we truly don't know where life is leading us, leading to muddy readings I guess.

* If you don't read for yourself or feel that you are way above such behavior, please don't respond to this post :)

Alta

This is also my view, when a situation is getting under our skin, we start to read more.

At one time in my life I took a job that I absolutely hated and I wanted so badly that get back to my former job. An opportunity arose and I did so many readings about whether I would successfully get the job. Looking back, I was frantic. I did succeed and the readings level went right back to normal.

tarot_quest

This is also my view, when a situation is getting under our skin, we start to read more.

At one time in my life I took a job that I absolutely hated and I wanted so badly that get back to my former job. An opportunity arose and I did so many readings about whether I would successfully get the job. Looking back, I was frantic. I did succeed and the readings level went right back to normal.

Thanks for sharing Alta :)

I think (as you said) that when we are in an uncomfortable situation, we might feel like over reading about a particular topic. Our behavior when reading tarot cards also reflects our mindset. So in the case where you hated your job very badly and were looking for a better opportunity, I think that you needed to hear again and again a confirmation! I just feel discouraged lately because my life is very stagnant and I am eager to make some progress (i.e. getting my first career and a nice relationship). Sometimes, these things take more time than we would have imagine...

When feeling desperate while doing a reading (it happened multiple times lately), it's a sign for myself that it would be better to put my deck away and wait a couple of days.

nisaba

My question is, during which specific time of your life (or given the circumstances) did you read way too much for yourself?

I don't know that I ever have - I much prefer reading for others, where I don't know any of the backstory.

But I *can* tell you the opposite of what you're asking: When don't I read at all?

When my life is in meltdown and I'm under virtual house-arrest by an abusive partner (enough not to be able to organise to escape).

All my decks were carefully wrapped and hidden away for their own safety ... and *still* I found out afterwards when I dug them out, that a number had been disappeared on me. :(

It took me until I got my emotional equilibrium back before I started reading again. Not only does it make good sense not to read when you're in turmoil, it seemed my inner-self just wasn't even going to let me try!

tarot_quest

I don't know that I ever have - I much prefer reading for others, where I don't know any of the backstory.

But I *can* tell you the opposite of what you're asking: When don't I read at all?

When my life is in meltdown and I'm under virtual house-arrest by an abusive partner (enough not to be able to organise to escape).

All my decks were carefully wrapped and hidden away for their own safety ... and *still* I found out afterwards when I dug them out, that a number had been disappeared on me. :(

It took me until I got my emotional equilibrium back before I started reading again. Not only does it make good sense not to read when you're in turmoil, it seemed my inner-self just wasn't even going to let me try!

I appreciate your honesty nisaba! And thank you for sharing this story with us.

It makes so much sens that we should read when we feel at peace inside. The readings are way much better and we don't look as much for a specific answer, I think. I thought that I was able to read for myself even during stressful times, but I feel that I am pouring my anxiety into the cards, which then leads to even more stress and worries. I also noticed that I am looking for reassurance concerning my future, when I feel very uncertain about how things will unfold.

And then, the message is unclear to me, which pushes me to do another reading, leading to a vicious circle!

Kalisti

Whenever I've learned something new or had a new epiphany that expands on my knowledge, I get really eager to do lots of readings. Sometimes I get that out of my system by posting in the exchange, or offering to do a more detailed spread for a friend.

I recently read Holistic Tarot which is rich in a number of new ways to do tarot. I never read a tarot book before so The First Operation and some of the "common" spreads she outlines in the spreads chapter were new to me and have been really fun to work with, as well as adding a level of depth to my readings. The detailed meanings she attributes to each card has been interesting, too. Most of them were similar to what I already think about each card but there have been additional nuggets of wisdom about the cards that I hadn't considered before. So, I have been spending a lot of time putting aside some of the spreads that I've catalogued to use hers and been finding any little reason to read to exercise this new information :D

Other times when I am especially motivated to read are usually when I'm spending more time than usual on other spiritual practices that I have. And obviously, as already mentioned, if there is something particularly bothering me, I will read for myself more frequently than usual.

The typical for me is 1-3 personal readings per week, with sometimes 1 or 2 for others. Some weeks I try to do a daily draw, but that's become less common for me lately.

RiverRunsDeep

How horrible. :(

It makes so much sens that we should read when we feel at peace inside. The readings are way much better and we don't look as much for a specific answer, I think. I thought that I was able to read for myself even during stressful times, but I feel that I am pouring my anxiety into the cards, which then leads to even more stress and worries. I also noticed that I am looking for reassurance concerning my future, when I feel very uncertain about how things will unfold.

And then, the message is unclear to me, which pushes me to do another reading, leading to a vicious circle!

I completely agree with this. When I am at my most stressed and most anxious, that is when I am tempted to read the cards, yet I have found that this is exactly when I should NOT read my own cards. If I try to read, it seems that all of the worry and negativity I'm carrying inside of me inadvertently pours into the reading. My solutions have been: delay the reading for a few days until my mind is more settled, focus more on meditation and dream work instead, or participate in a reading circle here on the forum.

Farzon

I tend to overread subjects that carry a certain fear with them. When I had a very bad job, for example. Now, mostly relationship and love topics. Yeah, that cheesy. Especially concerning other people's feelings. I feel like a smoking doctor sometimes :).

However, lately I manage to stay away from the cards in these situations. I realized that I'm very sensitive to changing moods to the point of being unstable... and I don't want the cards to be a part of this.

Nemia

I have the opposite "problem" (it's not a real problem). My life is running smoothly enough - very happy marriage, nice enough young adult children, a job that I love although don't earn much with it - there are really no urgent problems that make me grab my cards. When I do read for myself, I'm always appreciative of the fact that they give such good advice. But I don't read for myself often enough.

I study the cards, read a lot of books, make a lot of card exercises and read professionally but reading for myself is actually irreplaceable. Sometimes I don't read for myself for weeks and months although I touch the cards every day. Repeatedly. I simply have no questions that I couldn't answer without bothering the cards for it.

That's why I start again doing daily readings.

violetdaisy

I used to do this when I was "learning" a new deck. The way I used to do things would entail a great deal of learning readings - single draws to few card sets. (because I apparently had the time and enjoyed a combination of analyzing and meditating on a card extensively)

I actually don't read very much for myself either. I can, but normally it's about a confounding dream I've had that I'm having a little difficulty with. I have two "types" of dreams - ones with knowledge and advice for my waking life and ones for entertainment. The former can pose challenges when the format is way different than what I've had for a while. (The latter is apparently movies for my brain while I sleep because who knows why.)

When I was starting out, every reading challenged me and provided extensive knowledge about the cards themselves, so I read a lot. But, my life, while a bit complex, is stable and the questions I have I can generally figure without cards.