Reversed Knight of Cups (work context)?

wheelie

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that post (quoted below), Thirteen!

I was about to shrivel up and wither away until tomorrow morning after reading some of the descriptions projected on the Knight of Cups.

I just had the Knight of Cups in a 3-card daily read for work and was feeling the inspiration of this idealistic, altruistic dude...until I some of the posts here. I truly appreciate the balance and hope to fight a dragon or find a treasure for you sometime.

Unlike Ruby Jewel, I don't see the upright Knight/Cups as fickle, insecure, alcoholic, etc. (quite a horrible list!). ALL tarot cards have positives and negatives. And yes, the Knight/Cups *CAN* be all that...but if you're using reversals, then the whole point is to help you know when to read the card as positive/negative. So, only rx would indicate all those negatives.

Upright would indicate the positives of the card, and whatever bad, personal experience any of us has had with such a Knight/Cups, there are also those of us who've had amazingly GOOD personal experiences with such a person. My Knight/Cups was a noble, spiritual, poetic, every optimistic and hopeful gentleman. And I use that "gentleman" in every sense of the word. And, nope, never a drop of liquor, though he was into fresh juices :D I will agree that he was never able to settle down. Not because he was a cheater, but because he was always on a mission to do good, and never able to stop giving his heart away to another lady. He never lied about the fact that he was a restless soul and unable to commit to anyone. He was incredibly honest, including about himself and his short-comings. A true knight-in-armor.

So. I would argue that there IS an upright Knight/Cups and all those terrible others are the ill-dignified side of him.

But here's the important thing about *this* Knight/Cups rx: court cards don't always stand for people. This is the outcome card, and I would read it as saying that the "romance" of the job for you will be turned upside-down. That, essentially, YOU are the knight/cups, coming into this job on a mission, all faith and optimism like one of Arthur's knights after the grail. And like many of those knights, the hardships you'll face might disillusion you. Turn you very quickly cynical. And, yes, that might involve the ungallant, lying and cheating you might witness or run into.

The universe's advice...talk to the boss (or whoever is in charge). Because that person can give you a realistic perspective and keep you on your horse, moving forward. :)

Ruby Jewel

Unlike Ruby Jewel, I don't see the upright Knight/Cups as fickle, insecure, alcoholic, etc. (quite a horrible list!). ALL tarot cards have positives and negatives. And yes, the Knight/Cups *CAN* be all that...but if you're using reversals, then the whole point is to help you know when to read the card as positive/negative. So, only rx would indicate all those negatives.

Upright would indicate the positives of the card, and whatever bad, personal experience any of us has had with such a Knight/Cups, there are also those of us who've had amazingly GOOD personal experiences with such a person. My Knight/Cups was a noble, spiritual, poetic, every optimistic and hopeful gentleman. And I use that "gentleman" in every sense of the word. And, nope, never a drop of liquor, though he was into fresh juices :D I will agree that he was never able to settle down. Not because he was a cheater, but because he was always on a mission to do good, and never able to stop giving his heart away to another lady. He never lied about the fact that he was a restless soul and unable to commit to anyone. He was incredibly honest, including about himself and his short-comings. A true knight-in-armor.

So. I would argue that there IS an upright Knight/Cups and all those terrible others are the ill-dignified side of him.

But here's the important thing about *this* Knight/Cups rx: court cards don't always stand for people. This is the outcome card, and I would read it as saying that the "romance" of the job for you will be turned upside-down. That, essentially, YOU are the knight/cups, coming into this job on a mission, all faith and optimism like one of Arthur's knights after the grail. And like many of those knights, the hardships you'll face might disillusion you. Turn you very quickly cynical. And, yes, that might involve the ungallant, lying and cheating you might witness or run into.

The universe's advice...talk to the boss (or whoever is in charge). Because that person can give you a realistic perspective and keep you on your horse, moving forward. :)

Your knight sounds just like mine, extremely noble, unbelievably generous even with strangers, poetic, optimistic to the end (well, almost) and above all...ALL...the ultimate gentleman! Not only gentle, but also brave and wise...I know of another one like these guys, Chogyam Trungpa the Buddhist monk....I think what they do is use this life they are given as an experiment...amazing souls whom everyone who comes in contact with them... falls in love with them. And, btw, I don't read every single Knight of Cups who comes up in a reading the same way.....there are many facets to them as they are quite fascinating people. I will just say this....when it fits, it fits like a glove. When one comes through your life, you are changed forever.

And also....I only interpret the cards...I try never to give advice. I prefer to leave the decision in the hands of the querent: the only one who really knows.

Ruby Jewel

I would also add here that the lies are an aspect of their "schizophrenia"...and therefore quite forgivable. Knights are by definition of "mutability" insecure. They hide it quite well, and as a matter of fact, if I had not seen it the one time it got spontaneously revealed... in this very gentle gentleman......I would not have believed it. I saw it when he shaved his beard...he quickly grew it back. I never interpreted his enjoyment of women as promiscuity...since he never tried to hide it. We both agreed, it was his life to live the way he chose.....and so they do, and the only recourse you have is to accept them as they are because they cannot be otherwise. I consider the above definition of this Knight of Cups accurate in the upright position, and quite consistent with the interpretations of Crowley and Nancy Shavick. However, one can choose to reject it, which is anyone's prerogative.

Ruby Jewel

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that post (quoted below), Thirteen!

I was about to shrivel up and wither away until tomorrow morning after reading some of the descriptions projected on the Knight of Cups.

I just had the Knight of Cups in a 3-card daily read for work and was feeling the inspiration of this idealistic, altruistic dude...until I some of the posts here. I truly appreciate the balance and hope to fight a dragon or find a treasure for you sometime.

Hi Wheelie...I empathisize with your position here. Let me just say this. If you have encountered this gentleman, there is no way on earth that you will not get hooked, so you might as well go for it because it will be an experience of a lifetime for you. These dudes will change your life forever...but be prepared to have your heart broken. And if you are lucky, as I was, you will have their friendship. That is all they are really capable of you see. The first thing you can expect is to be put on a pedestal...just remember that means you are not "real" to them, nor are they looking for "real."

Ruby Jewel

It is so important to remember and take note when dealing with the Knight of Cups that you are dealing with the energy of Neptune (drugs and alcohol) in the 12th house of "secrets and self-undoing." The Moon is also exalted in Pisces, and Pisces is right "at home" in the Moon card, which is schizophrenia. When you add The Devil or the planet Pluto to this combo, you are going to get the Knight of Cups as I have described above. Not every Knight of Cups has this natal configuration, fortunately, but do not forget they are 12th house and Moon energy. The major arcana cards attributed to this house and the Knight of Cups are the Moon and the Hanged Man. You can hide from this, but you will never escape it....especially in a relationship with this Knight.

Thirteen

It is so important to remember and take note when dealing with the Knight of Cups that you are dealing with the energy of Neptune (drugs and alcohol) in the 12th house of "secrets and self-undoing." The Moon is also exalted in Pisces, and Pisces is right "at home" in the Moon card, which is schizophrenia
All true...BUT, I think we can also agree that alcoholism, drugs and mental illness are viewed as "negatives." And those who read with reversals are seeking a way to discern whether to read the card as indicating mostly the negatives or mostly the positives.

A *PERSON* can be a mix of these, as yours was. With the gallantry as well as the schizophrenia and alcoholism. But often when a card come up in a reading, it's not about a whole person with all the positives and negatives. A person all and only Pisces or all and only Neptune. It is most often about a person who is *TODAY* or for this week, or for this month, or for this situation a Knight/Cups. So telling the person that they're getting a gallant gentleman who is also drug addict....seems excessive unless they keep asking about a man they're hoping to date and Knight/Cups is the one and ONLY card they ever get for him.

This was a question about the person's new job. And it was reversed. So, I'd say yes, we can discuss the negatives. But though there is plenty of mental illness and drug abuse in the work place...I really wouldn't, had I done this reading for them, think of that as the first and most likely message. ;)

Ruby Jewel

All true...BUT, I think we can also agree that alcoholism, drugs and mental illness are viewed as "negatives." And those who read with reversals are seeking a way to discern whether to read the card as indicating mostly the negatives or mostly the positives.

A *PERSON* can be a mix of these, as yours was. With the gallantry as well as the schizophrenia and alcoholism. But often when a card come up in a reading, it's not about a whole person with all the positives and negatives. A person all and only Pisces or all and only Neptune. It is most often about a person who is *TODAY* or for this week, or for this month, or for this situation a Knight/Cups. So telling the person that they're getting a gallant gentleman who is also drug addict....seems excessive unless they keep asking about a man they're hoping to date and Knight/Cups is the one and ONLY card they ever get for him.

This was a question about the person's new job. And it was reversed. So, I'd say yes, we can discuss the negatives. But though there is plenty of mental illness and drug abuse in the work place...I really wouldn't, had I done this reading for them, think of that as the first and most likely message. ;)

I'm not really second-guessing about the issue at hand or trying to advise the poster on what to do regarding the issue. Nor am I judging anything at all about a "whole" person and whether anything is negative or positive. I'm merely responding to the question by giving an interpretation of the Knight of Cups with a few examples included... and leaving the rest up to whomever wishes to expound upon it in whatever way they choose...anyway, "reversed or not" is irrelevant to me, but, no doubt, your take on that is as good as any.

barefootlife

I hate to be That Person, but could we not with the assigning mental illnesses to tarot cards? While some people may have encountered individuals they identify with a card who happened to have a mental illness, in this context, it's stigmatizing and inappropriate to use a very misunderstood condition to categorize some behaviors that the card may speak to, or to indicate that someone with that condition will appear in a querent's life.

In any case, re: your reading, I would say that the KoC reversed means that your idealism (pretty normal going into a new job) is going to get rained on a bit by things like office politics and the usual weird tensions that happen in any workplace. No workplace in the history of the universe has been the wonderful place that it's sold as in the interview process. Be mindful of who you get involved with or you might find yourself in the middle of someone else's very feisty and possibly petty or imagined drama. The Emperor says to make rules for yourself and stick to them, to create or take advantage of structure within your job or create your own structures that will benefit you. You have the opportunity to carve out a place for yourself within this company, and perhaps someone up at the top to support you in doing so. Avoid whiners, water cooler gossipers, drama llamas, and people who don't take responsibility for their own work, and you'll make it just fine.

Midsummereve

Thank you to all who have replied to my post. My new job is very tiring and I promise to get back to you all in the next couple of days. Thank you for your patience!

Ruby Jewel

I hate to be That Person, but could we not with the assigning mental illnesses to tarot cards? While some people may have encountered individuals they identify with a card who happened to have a mental illness, in this context, it's stigmatizing and inappropriate to use a very misunderstood condition to categorize some behaviors that the card may speak to, or to indicate that someone with that condition will appear in a querent's life.

It wasn't my intent to offend your sensitivities. At the same time, please do not take the liberty to imply I am attempting to categorize or stigmatize or indicate anything about anyone's life. I am only describing a card in the tarot, and there is nothing personal in that, so please don't take it personally. The example I used here was in response to a request for an example. This is an educational forum, and censoring of information undermines that learning process. I am quoting Aleister Crowley in using the term "schizophrenia." I believe he is a respectable and quotable source for understanding the meaning of the Knight of Cups in the tarot.