Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

FLizarraga

I have put the Mary-El in my cart and taken it out so many times it's ridiculous. I love the artwork but that Hierophant...

Yea or Nay?

A lot has been said about that Hierophant, here and elsewhere. She definitely has a pretty negative vision of that card, the negative side of tradition and organized religion, I guess. I see it as a False Woman. Not a transwoman or anything like that, mind you, but a man pretending to be a woman --hence the bald head--and thus giving non-nutritious breast milk to those stunted children.

It's a difficult deck to read with, harsh and unyielding, but very rewarding in the end, IMHO.

magpie9

Someone was asking recently about the mucha...I got it recently, and love it already.its so much better in every way than the art nouveau. It reads clear and straightforward. The card stock is terrific...shuffles easily. Comes in a good sturdy box. The art is outstanding, and the cards do a good job of staying within the RWS tradition without being slavish about it. I give it thumbs up :thumbsup:

Madrigal

Llewellyn deck?

I've been spending time looking at web images of this deck. I really like the Welsh context for this and the images seem really lovely, a little bit dreamy and a little bit earthy. Anyone have this deck and love it? Pros, cons?

Padma

I've been spending time looking at web images of this deck. I really like the Welsh context for this and the images seem really lovely, a little bit dreamy and a little bit earthy. Anyone have this deck and love it? Pros, cons?

It is beautiful. reads well, and takes you on a journey to Middle Earth...my niece has it, and it is on my list of to-buy decks. It is a "watery" kind of deck - and so, works well with the intuition.

Morwenna

I like the Llewellyn very much, but I haven't worked with it as much as I'd like. I think I'll start with it again in the spring; the artwork suggests that season to me very strongly.

luxshine

I really need another pros-con thread... (because I keep hovering and not buying the Shadowscapes app because I love to feel the cards in my hands, and I tried to see other non-electronic tarts to see if I could convince myself to save for those others...

What about the Sherlock Holmes tarot? At first sight, it looks nice since it's not based in any 'specific' Sherlock version, but in the books themselves, but I'd like to hear pros and cons. Thanks

Madrigal

It is beautiful. reads well, and takes you on a journey to Middle Earth...my niece has it, and it is on my list of to-buy decks. It is a "watery" kind of deck - and so, works well with the intuition.

Oh, this sounds lovely! And yes, the deck does have a watery feel to it but tempered with a nice balance of the other elements through the images. At least that's what it seems from what I've viewed on the web

I like the Llewellyn very much, but I haven't worked with it as much as I'd like. I think I'll start with it again in the spring; the artwork suggests that season to me very strongly.

What a great idea. I never thought of linking up certain decks with the seasons. I'm using Wildwood right now and it feels spot on for this time of year.

Pretty close to clicking 'submit' on this one. Though 'The Voice of the Trees' is also calling my name.

MysticMoonlight

I have it and love it. It's one of my favorite decks actually. The pros...it reads like a book for me, very, very clear, simple to understand and straightforward...no guess work or vague answers. The artwork has a soft, flow-y, lovely way about it that works wonders for the intuition. It has a peaceful, calming feel to it...like you've sat down for a nice warm convo with a beloved friend and a cup of your favorite tea.

The cons...I don't personally have any. If you are not a fan of Rider-Waite-Smith style decks I guess that would be a con. If you prefer or insist on bold/robust artwork that puts a smack-down on the eyeballs then this one would be a nope for you, most likely.

MysticMoonlight

Thoth. I've been stalking it online for weeks now. The big green box haunts my thoughts (I like big cards). It's not even the typical art style I go for in Tarot and yet, I can't stop wanting it.

What say you?

Richard

Thoth. I've been stalking it online for weeks now. The big green box haunts my thoughts (I like big cards). It's not even the typical art style I go for in Tarot and yet, I can't stop wanting it.

What say you?
Pros: If you plan to study the Thoth, the green box is definitely the one to get. The images have such intricate details that a smaller format doesn't do it justice. Also, I prefer the slightly more vibrant colors of this edition.

Cons: It may be too large to shuffle easily.