New Orleans Voodoo Tarot...anyone use as a main deck?

Mi-Shell

That is cool, Mi-Shell. And the more I am reading about immersing oneself in knowing something about the religion a deck is based upon, it makes me wonder, as this says it is based on five cults. Now, I don't know about them all, but I know enough to know that Voodoo and Santeria may share some similarities, but they're not the same. So we're talking about five cults of similar religions? I am guessing though studying the book would be enough?

My personal opinion is, that a person needs to read, study and EXPERIENCE = FIRST HAND a lot of Voodoo, Vodun and Santeria and its concepts rituals and world view, before truly understanding this deck and bringing out its full power.
I myself also have just scratched the surface.
My saving grace when reading with it is, that through my shamanic Medicine I can talk to/with the Lloas / Spirits directly.

greatdane

Interesting, Mi-Shell Question Please

So is your feeling that as long as one embraces it from a spiritual viewpoint, even if not the same...religion?....that they can be in tune with it? I understand your wish to study it, but it sounds like through your own shamanistic practice, you read fairly well with it? Just trying to find out as much about others luck/experiences with this deck as, I admit, I feel it is not a standard, read out of the box, deck IF one is just following one of the main tarot systems.

Mi-Shell

I think that that is not a thing that can be generalized.
Some people may, most, that just dabble and play, will not connect with it because the Spirits may not want to work with such a person on that or any shallower level.
I sense it is some kind of in build thing.
Sure these are just printed cardboard cards like everything else Tarot, but like an adept of another spiritual path will connect quite different and deeper with a deck of images in line with his/ her spiritual path, this one will open up to followers of the Lloas in a very deep and profound way.
This is not my spiritual path at all, but I have clients from the city down south come up here for a reading and the Lloas use me to speak to these clients, because it is THEIR spiritual path. I am just the go between. At times words - phrases come through, that I have no clue, what they mean, but my client/ querant knows and through them I learn and next time these words come through - or that voice - I remember.....

This is also, why I use a Celtic inspired deck like the Tarochci Celtici to read for people with Celtic ancestry. It is similar, but much easier.....

Or like in Kathmandu I read with my mini Greenwood for all kinds of Nepali guests... Word went around like wildfire - Most did not speak a word of English - some just very little - but through the interpreter the messages were related. But I am sure, I could have done a better job, had I had a different deck - like the Roots of Asia for example......

Mi-Shell

Thanks, Sar! Very interesting... The Loas/ Spirits of a different people....

magpie9

Fascinating, thank you.