Wildwood?

MagsStardustBlack

Just started to really fancy Wildwood, so I bought the app. Like what I see, think Il buy the deck.

Does anyone use this extensively and what do you like about it? Any criticism of the deck? What's the whole package like, the card stock, the book ect?

I have strong roots in nature myself and follow the old path I thought this deck might suit me nicely.

danieljuk

I bought it this year from a friend on here. I like the theme of it and I do like it but I do have some criticisms! The deck was based on the Greenwood tarot which is very hard to get these days but was fundamentally a better deck with the images. The Wildwood takes away the original artists work and changed it. I have to say that some of the images are a bit weird or strange. Some of the cards are hard to like or read, others are great. Some people hate the deck and say it's like a disney cartoonish version of the theme now. I understand that criticism but I do like the cards, it's just not perfect for me. If you already have the digital version you either like it or not so that bits okay :)

The cards are a bit flimsy but large, the box for the deck is HUGE. I think the biggest box for a deck I have ever owned. It has a fairly large book with it too. The author goes into each card a lot but I find myself more and more totally ignoring those words and takes. Go with the pictures yourself.

So for me it's an enjoyable imperfect deck, wish it was more committed to the idea of it's themes perhaps :)

edited to add the AT link for the deck - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wildwood/
and this was the Greenwood - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/greenwood/

gregory

It's a fine deck - on its own. Forget the Greenwood thing. And forget the book that comes with it, as that is more about the Greenwood than about this. There are actual descriptions of Greenwood cards rather than Wildwood cards - it is REALLY tacky, and the poor thing was part of a very silly and destructive marketing campaign.

As a deck in its own right - it's nice, the artwork is good and it reads well. The backs are disappointing, though !

Essence of Winter

Just started to really fancy Wildwood, so I bought the app. Like what I see, think Il buy the deck.

Does anyone use this extensively and what do you like about it? Any criticism of the deck? What's the whole package like, the card stock, the book ect?

I have strong roots in nature myself and follow the old path I thought this deck might suit me nicely.

I really like the deck and find it well thought out. The artwork is excellent but it does take time to connect with some of the images. That isn't a bad thing, though, as it can be a challenging deck - in the positive sense of the word. Some of the cards have a confrontational feel about them, which makes me question myself more than I usually would. As such, I think it's a deck better suited to personal use rather than reading for others. I found the best results were achieved when I started to ignore the book and use it on a more intuitive level.

My only criticism is that the material the cards are made from aren't to a great standard. Hopefully, the deck won't wear after long-term use but they don't feel as nice as they could.

Le Fanu

I find this deck completely un-spiritual. Like having plastic plants in your hallway and saying you like nature. None of it rings true. I've gone beyond its aspirations to be a Greenwood, it isn't about that. As a stand alone deck I find it rushed and vacuous.

As a package, it's fine in terms of quality. Cards maybe slightly cardboardy, but there are worse.

RavenLuna

The Wildwood is my go-to deck. I love it :) The cardstock is not thick, but it's not as thin as Llewellyn cardstock. It has a slightly satin finish to the backs, which have scuffed in a couple of places on a handful of my cards.... but it has had a lot of use. The cards are a touch on the large side, but not as big as the Druidcraft.

The box is large and very sturdy. Slimmer than the Llewellyn ones, but much stronger. I keep the book in mine, but the cards go in a pouch because I seem to remember they came in a plastic tray with two wells.

I think it's easier to love this deck if you are Pagan, a Brit (there are some landmarks in the imagery) and/or don't already own the Greenwood deck (which IMHO is not as attractive ::gasp:: ) The only nudity is the Cerne Giant. I don't think many people would be offended by that.

It's inexpensive, so if you like the app (same images and book) - go for it!

nisaba

Does anyone use this extensively and what do you like about it?
I like its peace, and its lack of humans.

Any criticism of the deck?
The artwork sometimes lacks subtlety and can appear almost cartoony at times.

What's the whole package like, the card stock, the book ect?
The cardstock's nice, the backs are beautifully simple, the book is on my shelf, unread.

It's more weighted towards contemporary Paganism than the older ways. Get it - you'll like it. :)

(I have an issue with some out-of-element animals, like furry plains mammals being used as Water court cards).

feynrir

I traded this one away some months ago. I would not mind if I got a copy of it again, because I sort of miss it :)

I dislike the cardboard cardstock, but I love the images so much that the cardstock wasn't a make-or-break deal for me. I actually hate the huge white borders more than I hate the cardboardiness, and had hand-trimmed my own copy. Greatly improved it for me.

Speaking of the images, yes some are a bit cartoonishly surreal. But you know, that added to my enjoyment of it. I don't take things too seriously.

The book is decent in spots, but a little too full of itself and Greenwood-centric. I like reading the cards without holding the book as gospel.

(I'm another who doesn't and will likely never have the Greenwood and really don't give a lick at its similarities or lack thereof to that deck.)

The courts are lovely.

All in all, I didn't find it the easiest read, but it was a very pleasant deck to have around. If you dig the app, I can absolutely recommend it :)

Essence of Winter

(I'm another who doesn't and will likely never have the Greenwood and really don't give a lick at its similarities or lack thereof to that deck.)

I think they overused the status that the Greenwood has in marketing this deck. It invited comparisons that will inevitably vary quite considerably and for some, the deck will never measure up to the Greenwood. Word of mouth is an important factor in advertising tarot cards and instead of people talking about it as a deck in its own right, a number of reviews were written that pretty much gave the impression that it's an attempt at replicating the Greenwood that falls wide of the mark. It's a shame because, looking at it as a deck without placing it in the context of the Greenwood, it's a lovely deck.

I can see what people mean when they say it's a bit cartoon-like but I like the fantasy aspect of it. It sort of reminds me of the artwork on the early editions of the Dragonlance Chronicles.

Calcifer

The Wildwood was my first new deck in over 20 years - I'd hoped to jump start my return to tarot with it. I loved the art work, but the stock really disappointed me, and I just couldn't relate to it at all - it got gifted away. Luckily, the Wild Unknown filled the niche perfectly though and turned out to be everything the Wildwood wasn't (for me anyway).
Michael