Expensive decks you just don't want

rylla

2 years ago I would've responded completely different to this thread; as of now:

Granny Jones is the best example. I was thinking for years to buy it, I found it last year on an eBay (I think it was the Australian eBay) under 100$ which is a very good price. But then I realized I don't want it at all, for the same reasons that were mentioned here.

Portico Taro - not that expensive, probably I would've bought it for 20-30$, I don't remember how much it was but it was at least two times more than that and I realized I don't want it at all - I would've looked at it for an hour or so than it would've sit on my self like so many other decks -

Tarot Agni Roerich - I think it's a beautiful deck - I don't think I would ever use it. I don't want to have another deck just to sit on a self. Different issue for a collector, I get that.

Sometimes I give in - I bought the Gambedotti (the Gourmet)- because of the art - I haven't tried reading with it yet but I doubt I could use for something else than to predict what to do for dinner :) (I am hoping to be wrong)

HighPriestess

Alice for me, I'm just not interested in Alice stuff and my limit is around $60 for decks so, yeah, and Baba seems to be doing this thing where they just release new editions of older decks (although I wouldn't mind seeing a re-release of the Fairytale Tarot).

I had to look up the Granny Jones deck--people actually like it? The art doesn't appeal to me at all.

rylla

Alice for me, I'm just not interested in Alice stuff and my limit is around $60 for decks so, yeah, and Baba seems to be doing this thing where they just release new editions of older decks (although I wouldn't mind seeing a re-release of the Fairytale Tarot).

I had to look up the Granny Jones deck--people actually like it? The art doesn't appeal to me at all.

It's a HTF deck for many years and it used to be a quite popular one. There was a period that you could 'hear' many people looking for it (and many people said they loved it).

Laura Borealis

I think Granny Jones is charming, and it reportedly has a lot of depth, but I don't feel the need for that one either. I'll leave it to those who cherish it.

To be honest, though I love the art in the Greenwood, I wouldn't pay out a lot of money for it either. The system is different to what I'm used to, and it would take a fair bit work to really understand it. And if I decide to try at some point, I can cobble together a copy.

Annabelle

The Journey Into Egypt tarot immediately jumps to mind as an expensive deck I don't want. The art holds less than no appeal for me, even though the theme caught my attention.

Nina*

Greenwood. I have a self-made copy and once in a while I take it out and still think ''no''.
Granny Jones. Really not my style.
Daniloff. Like Alta I find it really off-putting.

I had the Tyldwick but sold it since I never used it anyway. I do find some of the cards very beautiful though.

Morwenna

I have no desire for Granny Jones.

The Greenwood is another one: if one came my way inexpensively I might be interested for a study deck, but I wouldn't pay collectors' prices for it.

I like the looks of the Daniloff, but again, prices...

The Alice Tarot--gorgeous, but eek!! Maybe it'll go on my wish list anyway...

karen0205

I can appreciate the work in the Granny Jones tarot and that people want
one but it's not for me.
I think sometimes decks become wanted just because they are out of print
and the price goes up.
I wanted the Greenwood for a long time, finally saw it and loved it. Although it's not a deck I can read with.
I find it hard to connect with as a reading deck but I love the artwork. It's more of a collectors
deck for me than a reading deck.

rachelcat

Good to see there are others on the same wavelength I am!

Greenwood, nah, not in tune with the system (although I do like the artwork).
Bohemian Gothic, got a strange vibe from this so it got traded away.
Daniloff, got a creepy vibe from this, so I never got it!
Alice, I never was a big Wonderland fan, even as a child, so no.

I have a limited edition Gaian, but I probably should have waited for the mass market.

(Have and love the Tyldwick, btw, but it IS a bit hard to see the details.)

Citrin

I'm honestly not drawn to any of the expensive decks... Tyldwick, Greenwood, etc... Nope, don't crave them at all. I have one rare/expensive deck, Servants of the Light, and if I wasn't so lazy I'd sell it in a heartbeat since I'd like to shrink my collection to only contain decks I actually use! Maybe the Nigel Jackson is expensive also? But same thing there lol... I might be high maintenance in ordinary life but I've got a cheap taste in tarot cards! :p