Expensive decks you just don't want

Flaxen

There's a few recent decks which have not appealed to me at all - Tyldwick and Alice being two of them. It's hard to resist hitting the buy button when other people rave about them but I'm on a much tighter budget these days and couldn't justify the outlay on something I wouldn't be sure I'd love.

In fact, until yesterday I hadn't bought a deck in over a year!

Cocobird55

When I first heard about the Alice deck I wanted it, because I have all of the other MRP decks. I even tried re-reading Alice in Wonderland to get ready for it.
I discovered that I'm just not an Alice person, and decided not to get the deck. It would have taken most of my tarot budget, and there are too many other decks out there that I really like.

Wendywu

Don't need anything MRP, the Greenwood, Tyldwick, Daniloff .... in fact, I don't really feel the need for any deck I don't actually have. I have owned a great many of the expensive decks and passed them on because when push came to shove, they weren't reading decks that I loved. They were just prestige decks that sat on the shelf....

There's one fairly inexpensive deck I want when it comes out (Lynryrd's TdM with puns) but that's my the extent of my wish list right now....

Certainly I wouldn't actually save up for any of the supposedly highly-desirable decks, nor would I ever pay by instalments!

Aeric

What about the Greenwood makes it so sought after? It can't just be because it's OOP. And I'm sure there were Celtic spirituality decks before it, weren't there?

Was it really the Wildwood that reignited interest in it? The majority seem to call Wildwood inferior, but I don't believe Greenwood was extremely popular before Wildwood was published?

rylla

The Journey Into Egypt tarot immediately jumps to mind as an expensive deck I don't want.

Ah, right! The Journey Into Egypt goes on my list of expensive-not wanted decks too. I like the art, I think it's a beautiful deck I just don't see myself use it ever.

Daniloff in the other hand - it's the best find (for me), my most cherished deck that I've bought in the last 3 years. Of course, it's a personal preference, but for those who do like the art I'd like to mention that (in my experience) it reads very well too.

Miss Divine

I don't really feel the need for any deck I don't actually have.

Me neither to be honest. I've been using my ''older decks'' more and more again and the newer ones get put away alot quicker these days. It seems they don't have that special charm I feel as with my earlier ones

Certainly I wouldn't actually save up for any of the supposedly highly-desirable decks, nor would I ever pay by instalments!

Nope, again me neither! No deck that I'd have to make installments for is *that desirable* to me.

Gulliver

What about the Greenwood makes it so sought after? It can't just be because it's OOP. And I'm sure there were Celtic spirituality decks before it, weren't there?

It's only my opinion. But I think - the art in a particular tarot deck reflects something of the soul of its artist. My feeling is, that the Greenwood is a very honest tarot, here no one wants to get applause. The core is the love to the nature, the being per se. It's a deep deck, created from someone who has a deep connection to herself - that triggers a deeper connection of the beholders to themselves.

For me it is so like the artist draws paintings, completely absorbed by her work and concentrated while gentle singing a song (like a child, who knows the secrets of the world) - and we can hear the song if we look at the images. There is something of truth in it what is not so easy to find in other tarots.

Oh, was a bit off topic. To be honest, very much of the expensive decks I don't want. I was looking for special things the decks had to have. Something that is able to resonate with what I'm seeking in tarot. I found it, but for me it is not very often to find. But I think, people are seeking different things in tarot decks. That would be an interesting question for the talking area: what are you seeking in tarot decks? :)

manandcards

Poor Daniloff - I'm not sure I'd say is expensive - it's a limited run - hand finished deck. Greenwood or Nigel Jackson would be on my list of decks I don't get the appeal of.

seven stars

***ADMITS SHAMELESSLY TO THUMBING THROUGH THIS THREAD TO SEE IF ANY OF MY DECKS MADE THE LIST*** HAHAHHA....seriously, though, if they did I wouldn't hold it against anybody.

Jusssssssssst passing through - I don't have any decks to add to this list, my "collection" is so small it doesn't even count as a collection other than the ones I make. I've got a couple of Ann Marie's that I lovvvvvve love love & I *did* have the Cat tarot but it got wet...which inspired me to make waterproof decks....cause I really did think she did an awesome job on that one....Ok I'm out....

Padma

Daniloff in the other hand - it's the best find (for me), my most cherished deck that I've bought in the last 3 years. Of course, it's a personal preference, but for those who do like the art I'd like to mention that (in my experience) it reads very well too.

Poor Daniloff - I'm not sure I'd say is expensive - it's a limited run - hand finished deck. Greenwood or Nigel Jackson would be on my list of decks I don't get the appeal of.

I love reading with the Daniloff - I don't love all aspects of the art, but this deck has some of the best Courts I have seen. I did find it expensive, but I am lucky - a friend bought it for me for my birthday when it came out.

I do like the Greenwood, but I cannot wrap my head around the price, and I am not sure at all if I could read well with it. I have a hard eough time with the Wildwood, though I do like the art :)

But then, I am not a super committed collector, I just buy what appeals to me...my most expensive deck is Baba's Fantastic Menagerie kit, with deck and book. While I do like it and use it, I am not sure I would ever pay that much for a deck again (and I got that one at a really good price, because the seller was so kind :heart: )

And I am kind of getting OT here, so I will leave it at that!