Expensive decks you just don't want

WolfSpirit

I don't have really expensive decks on my wishlist at the moment, and there are many I don't need or want - although I am not really aware which are expensive (why would I look at the price if I don't want it anyway...) but to name some:

Daniloff - the elastic bands behind the ears put me right of.
Tyldwick - pretty but not something I would want to read with
Maat - actually had this one but sold it - too many babies and fertility for me!
Alice - not that big on Alice
Victorian Romantic Gold
Buckland Romani.

But, I have a Granny Jones and totally love it, I use it a lot.

WolfyJames

I dislike most decks I see, like 99%, so many but I've not kept a list. So included are the Greenwood, the latest Alice (not a Wonderland fan), Victorian Romantic, the original Gilded Tarot at 350$, etc. In other words, if it's not a deck I already possess or on my wishlist it's in the "fugly decks I don't want" category for me.

prudence

The Greenwood, Granny Jones, many of the most highly sought after MRP decks. I don't hate any of them, Granny Jones has a cuteness to it, and if I saw any of these at a yard sale I'd probably buy them, if they had the typical yard sale kind of prices.

greatdane

Top of the list would be the Tyldwick. I know it has many fans, not dissing the deck, just not a reader for me, which means not a deck I want.

Actually any deck I don't already have except the silver first ed Bohemian Gothic, which I know I will never have and am really fine with that. But this is one I would LIKE that's expensive. Nothing else really.

Le Fanu

Was it really the Wildwood that reignited interest in it? The majority seem to call Wildwood inferior, but I don't believe Greenwood was extremely popular before Wildwood was published?
Gosh no. The Greenwood was loved and desired way before the Wildwood. Ages before there was even talk of a Wildwood. And ages before the original artist was touted (Virginia Lee who did the Enchanted Lenormand - I still just know that if she had done it, the deck would have had a more earthy, gentler, less sketchily male vibe and I would probably have liked it much more.)

I regret spending money on the Ironwing. I should have gone with my instinct. Curiosity sometimes gets the better of us. Now it languishes in a box of unused stuff. I doubt I'd get what I paid for it - I wasn't overcharged - but I see more expensive stuff taking longer to go in Trading now.

I rack my brains to think of others - the biggies - like the Greenwood, Magna Veritas, MRP limited edition Gold & Silver decks are very valuable to me. I love them. So many of them that I see going for high prices, I bought at normal price when new. But the Granny Jones really is out there. With the others, I do see large numbers of people rave about them and I think "yes, how deserved etc" but I have only ever seen half a dozen people at most rave about the Granny Jones. I can think of nisaba, Altena used to like and use it too and now someone mentioned it above - but I think that's about it (actually not even half a dozen).

It surprises me to see the Tyldwick and Daniloff here. I don't think of them in this way. But different strokes etc.

prudence

It surprises me to see the Tyldwick and Daniloff here. I don't think of them in this way. But different strokes etc.

I was surprised about the Daniloff too. I love mine. I'll have to look at the Tyldwick again, I can't recall much about it. I think I looked at scans ages ago.

nisaba

It's a HTF deck for many years and it used to be a quite popular one. There was a period that you could 'hear' many people looking for it (and many people said they loved it).
That'd be me. It's stood the test of time. It's still outstanding and numinous with depth after two decades. Can I say that of ANY other deck in my collection? Er - no.

I think Granny Jones is charming, and it reportedly has a lot of depth, but I don't feel the need for that one either. I'll leave it to those who cherish it.

<shakes head sadly>

Laura Borealis

I was surprised about the Daniloff too. I love mine. I'll have to look at the Tyldwick again, I can't recall much about it. I think I looked at scans ages ago.

Me too. I can understand not being into the art style, and I remember that some people were put off by the masks, but I don't know where "does not seem like tarot" is coming from. :confused:

tarotbear

Just a comment that this thread went off exponentially! :thumbsup:

Mi-Shell

The thing with decks is that their cost is a complete unknown to me. I would have no idea what expensive decks are on my never-to-buy list, because I don't realise what the prices are until I've made up my mind to buy them.

There are probably dozens of supposedly desirable, overpriced decks that I'd never even glance at, but I have no idea which ones of the ones I don't glance at they are. :)

I find all the truly antique decks interesting, but would not buy any of them for any price, because I do not connect with them on an emotional - reader level....
An exception would be an original old Soprafino deck, because of my family connection to this deck, but pay $ 1800.00 for it like the last on I saw?
No, not really.....
What do the truly oooold complete Marseilles decks in go for these days anyway?