Soooooo do I NEED the Tyldwick Tarot?

PathWalker

OMG someone HELD the Kashmir????? Can I sand in your shadow?

It is still for sale you know, from the maker. :)

I don't buy lots of new decks, but if I want something enough - like the Kashmir - I save up and buy it, because it's worth as much to me as a suitcase full of new decks. It's just about prioritising.
I do understand that some amounts are possibly insurmountable amounts for some folks, I don't mean to be unfeeling or callous. But sometimes I see people who say they can't afford a certain thing, but buy quite a lot of new releases. I don't understand that logic.

Anyway, I was also able to decide that I didn't want one of these

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarocco-storico-citta-ferrara/

after years of thinking that I did :)

agviz

...The website is so full of the texture that it's hard to just look at the card.

The feeling you get from the website is likely the feeling you'll get from this deck if you see it in person.

Ditto to everything Karen said, especially that the artist should consider reworking the deck, removing the excessive grunge, and improving the contrast of the printing. Although I wouldn't buy it again, even reworked, unless it was considerably cheaper.

gregory

OMG someone HELD the Kashmir????? Can I sand in your shadow?
That means - I assume - that I get to SIT on you ! })

Being as I own it ! (and I had to save and not buy anything else for months - and it WAS while I was till working - couldn't do it now.)

karen0205

The feeling you get from the website is likely the feeling you'll get from this deck if you see it in person.

Ditto to everything Karen said, especially that the artist should consider reworking the deck, removing the excessive grunge, and improving the contrast of the printing. Although I wouldn't buy it again, even reworked, unless it was considerably cheaper.

Yes, I noticed even the Lenormand decks are quite expensive.
More than most on the market.

Le Fanu

Seeing it in person will settle it, it always does.

One thing I might add is that if it were a little larger - just a little - it would feel a tiny bit clearer. It isn't too small, it's just that I think it could be a little bigger. Like the size of the Daniloff or something. I think half a centimetre more all round would make a huge difference. But I still love it and read with it. It does feel a sort of special occasions deck although there is someone on Instagram who does daily spreads with it every day and it's lovely to see it used for everyday readings.

jolie_amethyst

I'd mostly agree with this, though I'll add that your backlit screen is going to make the images even more visible than the paper version will. If you're a symbols and details person, this is a deck that reads best in a bright room and with a big heavy magnifying glass...preferably an antique to match the house. :joke:

But honestly, I wouldn't change it. I love the grunge. I love the softness, the way it makes you work for what you get from it. It forces me to think. This is not a straightforward deck, and to be fair, I don't think it's marketed that way either. It's not for everyone. The one thing I personally dislike about it is the gilding, which is just a little too fragile. Mine has a few chips and nicks in it, and on a deck this expensive, that's a little depressing.

And then there's the price... No way I could afford to buy every deck he makes. I'm with LeFanu in that Malpertuis hasn't produced a single card yet that I don't covet, which is a problem with those price tags. Still, if I purchase only one deck this year--which is probable--it'll be his Chelsea Lenormand.

Le Fanu

It's only the price of two Llewellyn decks - how many people bought Hidden Realms and then Victorian fairy and then complained that this deck is expensive? Somebody must have! :D As someone said above, it's a question of priorities.

I'm going to buy all his decks - it's not like it's all at once. Malpertuis currently on the way then that other one and then the Chelsea, spread over a few months most likely because of the release dates.

I have two Tyldwicks because I gorge on beauty.

jolie_amethyst

For those in the US, it's closer to 5-6 Llewellyn decks...Most of those can be had for $20 or less, while depending on conversion rates when you buy, the Tyldwick is right around $100. If it were around $60 USD, I doubt people on this side of the pond would agonize over the decision to buy quite so much.

That said, I agree it's a matter of priorities. I gave up on buying a number of cheaper decks to get this one, figuring that if it didn't work out, I probably wouldn't have much difficulty in selling it here. And I don't regret one bit not buying those other decks, because this one was very worth it!