Irradiated or Otherwise Treated Stones

Sillanza

I'm new to crystals, but not new at all to the pretty stones used in jewelry. :D

I've often heard that irradiated stones or stones otherwise treated to enhance their appearance (oiling, dyeing, etc.) are fairly valueless for therapeutic or other uses. I have also read on this forum that repaired stones don't seem to suffer any ill effects.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I'm just trying to keep my shopping list short!

Kyrielle

If you are interested in your stones just looking good, for use in jewelry or home decorative purposes, there is nothing wrong with dyed or treated stones.

When dyed, the stones still have their properties, but I do feel a layer, almost like a mask, that must be transcended when you want to work with them. Howlite dyed blue is very often used to make faux turquoise. But it will still behave like howlite.

Smoky quartz is sometimes irradiated to enhance its dark color. The process makes it very dark -- to me, unappealingly black. Although I am not sure whether it is just the unnatural color that makes irradiated smoky quartz unappealing to me, or if I am getting "trauma" vibrations from the quartz.

I have never heard anyone say anything positive about irradiated smoky quartz. Kind of makes me feel sorry for it.

On the other hand, gold is fused onto quartz by artificial methods, creating aqua aura. Platinum on quartz gives opal aura, and titanium on quartz gives a deep black-with-rainbows that is reminiscent of an oil puddle in the driveway (I don't know the official name for this one -- I just own a couple pieces).

Stones carved into shapes such as spheres,eggs, wands, or sacred geometry also have enhanced powers.

So tampering with the molecular makeup of stones isn't all bad. It depends on what has been done to it and whether that detracts from the properties or enhances them.

Kyrielle

Fulgour

I find that I am happier relating to each stone individually,
since in terms of origin they are ancient beyond immagination,
so what does a little recent enhancement matter...

Purchasing in bulk might create a special consideration.

Sillanza

Originally posted by Kyrielle When dyed, the stones still have their properties, but I do feel a layer, almost like a mask, that must be transcended when you want to work with them. Howlite dyed blue is very often used to make faux turquoise. But it will still behave like howlite.
This is a helpful observation. To my knowledge I only have some lavender jade that's been dyed, though I guess my black onyx is dyed too since just about all of it is. Do you feel this same way about stones that have been impregnated with colorless oil (to enhance color) or wax (to enhance durability)?

So tampering with the molecular makeup of stones isn't all bad. It depends on what has been done to it and whether that detracts from the properties or enhances them.
Hmm ... OK, so I'll take comfort that if my green sapphire can pass a chemical test as a sapphire, irradiating be damned, it's all good. :) Of course, the best proof is in how the stone feels to you.