What encourages you to reply or not reply to a reading?

ana luisa

I usually do not reply to posts:

1- that are too short - one card
2- that do not provide enough background for a thorough response
3- that show a strong preference for reading elementals and caballa interpretations (which I am not familiar with so, cannot help)
4- that are too long - 13 or more cards
5- that were written by members who do not leave fb or stick to "thank you that resonates".
6- that are not clear in the background story or that are confusing in their question

Having said that, there are time when the question and the spread just "calls" me. But that is too subjective and no help for your thread ;)

mah jong

Having gotten criticized by someone for not giving them an interpretation they liked, I now rarely reply to readings. The rare time when I do go into that forum, I'm more likely to answer to these types of readings:

1. short ones (no more than 4 cards)
2. the poster has asked a clear question
3. the question is unusual
4. the poster describes what each position in the spread represents

I won't typically answer if:

5. the post says, "here's my friend's situation..." when it seems like the situation is actually about the poster
6. there's many replies already so the poster doesn't need my input
7. the poster has been slow to reply to others who have already responded or doesn't seem to be appreciative towards those who have taken the time to reply

Emma313

Normally if the asker (it seems to me) really needs help in any way rather than asking flippant questions

Having said that i worry more if any input i give is helpful or harmful sometimes......

Meditarot

Thank you all for your feedback. I got over two pages of them, and I've visited here daily since the beginning, reading new posts.

I've been thinking of answering sooner, but I've thought that people could interpert it as my way of saying, "Enough answers, thank you." so I've been quiet because as I've stated, I enjoy getting feedback.. But by now some the earliest feeback are half weeks old so I want to start answering.

I don't think this is the right place for this question (Talking Tarot, probably)

You were right and the moderators soon moved the thread here.

I won't generally respond to health, legal or third party ("what does he think of me" readings. Yes/no ones don't grab my attention, as I don't think tarot is the right place to ask them. And - let's face it - will he come back to me/how can I make him come back to me/why hasn't he texted me ones - they are so samey.

I don't tend to respond to legal readings either. Also, readings concerning others, for example a question, "Has he an affair behind my back?" get me unnerved and I don't usually answer to those, since I tend to imagine a situation where the third person would read my interpretation. What would he think of it?

I never do yes/no questions as they are too dichotomic in their nature. I usually do readings which respond to questions, "what, why, how". Some of my readings could fall the the pit you mentioned here.

But one big one is - the same person asking the same question over and over, hoping to get the answer they want; turning the question around to try and get that, and so on - and being in total denial when other posters disagree. There are individuals who do that and I avoid their threads like the plague. And quite often you can see from the preamble that that's what's coming, and so - no.

I admit I may have been doing multiple readings for one person, for example one every half years, to see if a situation has improved or if it has taken steps back, since getting to know one, bonding with a person is a process, not something which happens in a moment. At least this is what it is for me.

However, I do not try to twist questions to get an answer that I want to have (for example try to have a positive answer for a question. This is not something that I do). And even when I get an answer, I try to look both sides of the coin.

I respond if I believe I have something useful to contribute, or if the reading clicks with me and I've gotten a sense of clarity from it that might resonate with the original reader. The only reason I don't respond (if I've read the thread) is if I don't think my insight will be helpful or useful to the poster.

I don't avoid threads based on any value judgments of question style or type, or on question frequency. If insight resonates with me, I respond. I make no qualifying determinations about a question's worth or redundancy. I try to be welcoming and neutral in all cases.

In fact, I'm one of the rare few that does not mind people asking the same quesitons, as the answers are most often congruent, or they reflect the fluid and changing nature of life and therefore *do* change as they should. Things change and multiple readings on the same vein can reveal a lot about the language of your cards and your perceptions as the situation unfolds.

I completely agree with you here.

I also agree that things can change over time and sometimes multiple readings are necessary as new information may have surfaced.

I actually like really long reads! So that would make me want to come and sit, not deter me.

Personally I don't sit a whole whole lot for a few reasons (none of which have anything to do with the reader asking for sitters):
1- I don't have a whole lot to ask, so I prefer doing the readings.
and
2- I am worried that the question back is something that I don't want to read on. Not to sound stuck up (as I have been called) but there are topics I just don't read on. (Gregory's message is pretty much word for word what I read and not read on)
last
3- If there is a time constraint then I don't sit. So if someone says doing readings, must give feedback and exchange in an hour then I pass. Life is busy the pressure of the time to give an in depth reading gets to me. Silly I know, but some times it takes a day or two to get back and I don't want to break the readers rules.

Did that help?

Yes, your answer was helpful =)

So yeah, it really does seem that some people prefer longer readings, other people shorter ones. This extends to the subject matter of the readings too. Everyone simply has their own preferences.

I reply if I have something to contribute and the reading catches my fancy at the time... or challenges me to think 'now how would I answer that?..."
Plus - it depends on my energy level. Sometimes - I just don't have the energy to trawl through everything and then reply.
Like gregory, I'm not partial to 3rd party or yes/no questions. But on occasion I will answer those too.

I tend to be quite concise myself and find I get twitchy if the interpretation has a huge amount of the description of the card before the actual interpretation arrives. Plus if the interpretation is 4 paragraphs long - when it could all be said in 4 lines. :)

Once again you're a great example of how everyone has their own preferences! =)

I guess it simply boils down to the thing, that everyone should do what he or she feels comfortable and natural in doing. However, this is not to discourage change and transformation.

Actually - I thought I'd see if I could see any reason that you'd not got responses, and maybe to respond myself - and yes, I can, on the most recent one.

I couldn't cope. Not the length; but you've gone back and added extra comments about what you have since read (which isn't actually part of the reading; that's more sort of "using tarot cards" discussion, IMHO).

If you had left it with just that first post, it would have been more likely that I'd have responded. But the other two posts just confused me. I like to look at the cards someone has drawn and interpret them as I see them, the end. Not what you have just read after doing the reading.

If that is any help at all - and others will probably disagree anyway. But you did ask if it was your threads being a problem - and for me, yes it is. Sorry to be blunt.

There's no need to be sorry. Sometimes the hard words have the most truth.

I'd like to give an explanation of why I did the extra posts. This is not to defend myself of what I did was right but I'd like to at least give an explanation to why I did it.

The original thread had moved down to the beginning of page 3 and I was fairly sure people wouldn't notice the thread anymore, let alone answer to it. But I couldn't bump the thread just for the sake of bumping. From my understanding it's forbidden at the forum. So I would have to try to find something extra to add to the thread. The things which I found were new information but just as you said, they felt a bit.. I don't know, unnecessary ,as just like you said, they weren't really an essential element of the reading.

Anyways, I thought that this could perhaps bring at least one or two comments for the thread, as it was now again at the page 1, but with the information you brought up here, the thread ended up becoming more confusing!

This is a habit I will no longer continue doing. If my thread will not get comments or feedback, then it is simply destined to be so. For me to try to do anything other in the thread is just selfish behavior.

I will get back to the feedback here later on. Now I need to take a break.

I hope that I'm not rubbing people the wrong way with my answers here. My objective here is not to judge if your preferences of doing things are right or wrong - or to somehow convince you that "answering" to my readings is for some reason the right thing to do.

However, I've gotten feedback and I'm grateful for it and do like to give at least some kind of comments instead of just saying, "Thank you". Some of the answers here really resonated with me and I had to get some time off to meditate on it. The results were a bit of transformative in their nature.

gregory

I think you'd have been better (after a couple of days) posting just "anyone ?" - and if still no responses, chalk it up to experience. Even so - even in post 1, there was a lot that was - for me - extraneous to the reading. Going back to earlier cards pulled, in particular and then wondering in light of THIS maybe THAT should be read otherwise. I just like to respond to "this is where I am; these are the cards I drew, this is what I see in them."

I have to say also (I went back for another look) that - this IS just me - but posts that are very widely spaced - so that you have to scroll up and down when you want to go back to something - irritate me. That's unreasonable of me, but they do. :D

prudence

I think you'd have been better (after a couple of days) posting just "anyone ?" - and if still no responses, chalk it up to experience.

Actually, please don't do this! "Bump posts" are against the posting rules in Your Readings (ie posts simply saying "anyone? or "Please, I need some help here...") We remove those posts as soon as we see them and we do encourage people to post exactly as Meditarot did, just reply to your own thread with a few more thoughts on the reading. It will bring your thread back to the top of the page, without violating the "no bump posts" rule. If someone looking to help out with the reading gets confused by the additional posts, just don't read them or take them into account, go with the information provided in the opening post.

gregory

Oh., OK - I see it happen so often... :)

prudence

Oh., OK - I see it happen so often... :)

Yes, unfortunately, even with it being quite boldly stated in the posting rules.

Most of the replies here have covered my own thoughts on whether to respond to a reading thread or not. I think top most for me is the neatness of the post, one huge block of text and I'm lost, I prefer the cards and positions listed in order and I really don't like when the cards are interpreted all out of order and all over the place.

I'll reply sometimes to relationship readings, I usually avoid health and legal ones though. I also prefer readings in which the thread starter puts a bit of effort into interpreting their own cards before expecting others to do so.

Zephyros

For me much of it depends on what is being read and how. In discussions about something like the Thoth the reading itself is less important than the process of reading, and then when the symbolism and structure are put to the fore, the actual outcome can emerge.

So for me the answer to a reading is the easy part, and I don't always feel in a teaching mood. I answer reading threads if I think that I myself may have something to learn from it as well.

G6

I really just have to feel a sense of openness and trust in the person from their post. These do tend to be the not super restrictive ones or if there are rules I get the vibe their requests are well intended.

I am also a sucker for the FUN creative posts. I won't name names, but those ATers know who they are…;-)

ETA: My bad, I didn't read through this thread. I think you were asking about the section where people give you advice or feedback on the readings you have given elsewhere or done for yourself? Um, I don't frequent that section primarily because it seems the folks in that area post about things that are what I label pressing problems meaning they are very attached to the outcome of whatever the reading is about and want confirmation. Also, if someone gives a differing opinion I feel some of the people that post are in too fragile a state about the topic for it to be helpful to them. I generally don't like to engage in pressing problems readings, BUT once in awhile I will if I feel called to respond.

Also, my main important point/issue with that section is that I think readings are more authentic when there is no information or backstory given upfront. In that area most posters spill the whole story in technicolor and in so doing, taint the slant of the cards, which in turn makes responders more biased/judgmental in their interpretations. It can be a vicious spin cycle.