Tell me about your subcollections!

Carla

I have two subcollections: tarot and oracles.

jema

I got a sub-collection of AWESOME!

I want to refine it though :-D
I quite like decks that are deeply personal, not sure what to call it. I am thinking about decks like Tarot of the Spirit, Shining Tribe, Rosetta, Transformational (1:st edition) and Navigators
Decks not preordered by a company but growing out of a personal need to express themselves. That carry a vision! That is my sub-collection!

Chronata

For a while I had a Masquerade/carnivale sub collection...but alas, things like eating got in the way, and I had to sell them all.

I do still have a fairy tale/folk tale/childrens sub collection

And I really want to have a "So Terrible it's Awesome" sub collection, which means I really need that power animal deck

And I have dreams about a parody sub collection. Someday.

Edited to add...I suppose I have a subcollection of RTHollister decks too. :D

But unlike some of you, mine is still missing one or two.

trzes

Foreign language sets with companion books that I can't read

Yes! That's one of my favorite subcollections too! I specially love my russian and chinese books. I always have to resist the temptation to spread them in the kitchen as if I just forgot to clear them away before people come to visit. And when my guests ask me about them I would only drop a brief and snobistic answer giving me a rather short illusion of superiority. :D

Apart from that I suppose I am building two subcollections by buying more than I ever intended:
Science Tarots (luckily there aren't that many around)
Dark Tarots of any kind (there are way to many)

MoonGypsy

Edited to add...I suppose I have a subcollection of RTHollister decks too. :D

But unlike some of you, mine is still missing one or two.

Oh Robyn, this last statement brought tears to my eyes....

i find that i have a sub collection of RT Hollister decks and Oracle, etc...:love: And i cherish them so much; and there are more on the way, i hope...

Aulruna

I have two subcollections: tarot and oracles.

*lol*

Yes, that's my definition too. At 1.300+ decks, there are bound to be some subcategories, but I don't view it like that.

nisaba

<testily> Where's our self-confessed completionist Rodney when we need 'im?

jackdaw*

Back when I was a collector, I imagine there were many sub-collections within my collection. But I think the only deliberate sub-collections I had at the time were for Minchiate decks and collage decks. Meaning, I would purposely buy a deck because it was collage, or a Minchiate, not necessarily because planned to use it, or even (sometimes) liked it very much.

Now I don't have any subcollections. In fact, my deck collection and my wishlist are pared to the bone and am trying to restrict them for the most part to the bare bones. No double-dipping, so if a deck fills a "category", then I don't need another. I might want another, but with some exceptions I try to avoid it :laugh:

Le Fanu

I'm intrigued, LeFanu. What is this Crystal Tarot that you have a subcollection of??
The Trevisan one.

I have a trimmed one, a first edition one, a LoS/Fabbri/Orbis one, a few editions with different boxes (the latest box is gorgeous), a German one, a majors only Tarocchi d'Arte one. I don't quite know why, apart from the fact that it is a deck I like and printings of it are rather eratic. Some glow, some don't, so when I see one, my curiosity gets the better of me in case it's one of the glowing ones... (later editions are better, for anyone curious.)