Book of Law Study Group 1.29

Always Wondering

This verse has stayed with me since the first moment I read it. I think it says something about the difference between Thelema and some of the other philosophies or religions that I have managed to grasp in varying degrees. Sin, the fall, the great sorrow, it is really easy for me to get overwhelmed and stuck in these conditions.

I painfully understod division, but not so much the union. Relationships felt limited in comparison. I think this is because I was conditioned to shame or a kind of dull ignorance regarding the fact that I am a sexual being. I began to realize that I have a kind of built in, easy access, joy which is also part of the human experience.

This very basic realization seems to have a budding effect on all my consciousness, in a way of opening my awareness of pleasure of union in many things, on many levels. Not simply with other people, but with what I am just starting to understand is my HGA.

AW

ravenest

De Ludo Amoris.

In this Mystery of the Restraint of Art is also the Secret of Illusion. Why, sayest thou, hath not Our Lady Nuith her Will of Her Lord Hadith, and He of Her, and so all ended? But his is the Play of Her Love, that She veileth Her Beauty in he Robe of Illusion many-coloured, and evadeth Him in Sport, yea, and divorceth Him from the Embrace, weaving new Modesties and allurements in Her Dance. Now, o my Son, the full Comprehension of this Arcanum is the Fruit of Contemplation, if this be prepared by the Experience of this Art in thine own Case. But to them that understand not, and have Grief and Separation, being deceived by this Play so that they deem it he Division of Hate, She can but speak in Simplicity by that Word written in "The Book of the Law": "To me!" For until thou love, the Play of Love is but Emptiness; and its cruelty is Cruelty indeed, except thou know it to be but a Sauce to wet Appetite, and to give Emphasis of Contrast, as a Painter dimmeth the Light by Cunning of his Shadows. But all this Delight that thou mayst have of the Universe both in its Veils and in its Nakedness is a Reward of thine Attainment of Truth, and followeth after it. Nor canst thou comprehend this Doctrine by Mind, for the Division in thee crieth aloud in its Agony, denying it, unless thou be wholly Initiate.

Liber Aleph - A.C.

Grigori

ravenest said:
But his is the Play of Her Love, that She veileth Her Beauty in he Robe of Illusion many-coloured, and evadeth Him in Sport, yea, and divorceth Him from the Embrace, weaving new Modesties and allurements in Her Dance.

This is such a striking thought. We've spoken alot about the qualities of Nuit and Hadit, and their role as lovers, and sexual acts as metaphors for spiritual things. Love being about the Union of opposites, for the creation of something new etc. But the idea of Nuit as some kind of seductress, or dare I say "tease" is really compelling for some reason. It makes the glimpses of things spiritual, seem like a game, or an act of flirting. Nuit showing a little flash of inspiration, and then scampering away to hide again.

It reminds me a little of greek/roman mythology. Venus/Aphrodite, one of the levels of Nuit, showing a little flash of cleavage to urge the smitten mortal hero along on her quest. A little bit of inspiration to carry him through the failures and the silences.

Aeon418

I see that Mr Ravenest has beat me to it with the Aleph quote. :( That will teach me to be late to the party. Tant pis.

The word "Chance" immediately makes me think of games. And what better game to play than the Game of Life. (No, not that god awful 80's board game. :laugh:)

This verse speaks to me of the unmanifest infinite taking on temporary finite form and duality in order to play the game of self discovery. But, like any game, there have to be rules. Otherwise there is no game.
ALLEGORIA DE CAISSA

Consider for an Example the Game and Play of the Chess, which is a Pastime of Man, and worthy to exercise him in Thought, yet by no means necessary to his Life, so that he sweepeth away Board and Pieces at the least Summons of that which is truly dear to him. Thus unto him this Game is as it were an Illusion. But insofar as he entereth into the Game he abideth by the Rules thereof, though they be artificial and in no wise proper to his Nature; for in this Restriction is all his Pleasure. Therefore, though he hath All-Power to move the Pieces at his own Will, he doth it not, enduring Loss, Indignity, and Defeat rather than destroy that Artifice of Illusion. Think then that thou hast thyself created this Shadow-world the Universe, and that it pleasureth thee to watch or to actuate its Play according to the Law that thou hast made, which yet bindeth thee not save only by Virtue of thine own Will to do thine own Pleasure therein.

Beira

This is another of those verses that inspires..
Love as First Mover..
As Dante Alighieri says: Amor che muove il Sole e l'altre Stelle (Love who moves the Sun and the other Stars.)
From a thelemic point of view, maybe the Sun could be God(dess) who created Universe, macrocosmos, as an act of Love and the other Stars may be us humans, microcosmos, moved by love in our everyday activities (even though love towards what our Ego suggests, might move us in a direction that is not our own.. but then Divine Love intervenes to kick us back towards where we belong..).