Help! My Thoth deck dislikes me!

foolMoon

And watch out too, because whilst reading and studying Tree of Life and Qabala, you might wander off to the path to the wonderful world of Ceremonial Magick. :)

Girl Archer

Yes, that would be immensly helpful both to understand mine and other members posts and to understand Thoth itself. Studying (and understanding for yourself) Kabbalah is really is one of the best favors you can do for yourself if you want to understand the Thoth Tarot deck in general.

Do yourself a favour and download Liber Theta. Your Thoth deck will love you for it. And it's FREE! ;)

http://www.thelema.org/publications/books/LiberT.pdf

Well, that doesn't mean you can't start in any case. There are many kabbalah tutorials online, I myself wrote two essays on the subject right here in the Kabbalah section. As for the cards, there are many resources. Both the Book of Thoth as well as Book T are free to download.

Thank you, I will look into those. If I have any doubts, I suppose I can always come back here for more info :)

Always Wondering

Erm, what does ATU stand for? I blush at my ignorance, if this is a basic question.

That is actually a good question. One I never thought to ask. I assumed it meant "trump" or "key". I checked, this time I was right. WHEW, no making an ass out of myself this time. :|

Zephyros

I'm pretty sure it means "house," although I could be wrong.

Girl Archer

That is actually a good question. One I never thought to ask. I assumed it meant "trump" or "key". I checked, this time I was right. WHEW, no making an ass out of myself this time. :|

So, it does mean trump then? What does ATU expand to, though?

Barleywine

So, it does mean trump then? What does ATU expand to, though?

It turns out to be more subtle than I thought. The phrase "Atu Ankh Amen" translates as "the Living Image of Amon" (King Tut). I seem to recall that "ankh" is associated with "life" or "living," so perhaps Atu simply means "image."

The final word, though, is in the Book of Thoth itself. There is a footnote to the section titled "The Atu of Tahuti" (page 35 in my edition) that reads:

"Atu: House or Key in Ancient Egyptian."

I don't believe it is an acronym for anything, so there is no expansion that I know of.

Girl Archer

"Atu: House or Key, in Ancient Egyptian" - Book of Thoth pp.35

Ah, thank you foolMoon. I thought ATU was an abbreviation :p BTW, there is only one Book of Thoth right? In the Playstore, I saw a Vol.1 or something like that. Does it come in volumes?

foolMoon

It turns out to be more subtle than I thought. The phrase "Atu Ankh Amen" translates as "the Living Image of Amon" (King Tut). I seem to recall that "ankh" is associated with "life" or "living," so perhaps Atu simply means "image."

The final word, though, is in the Book of Thoth itself. There is a footnote to the section titled "The Atu of Tahuti" (page 35 in my edition) that reads:

"Atu: House or Key in Ancient Egyptian."

I don't believe it is an acronym for anything, so there is no expansion that I know of.

I was just reading pp.35 of Book of Thoth tonight :)