Tarot of Prague Cafe Club - Knight of Swords

Sophie

baba-prague said:
Yes, I relate to this more than to people like Robin Hood or John Pilger for this card (in answer to Helvetica). It may simply be that we read this knight differently - and I respect your interpretation Helvetica. We see him as logical, strong - very - in his opinion, and a great leader, but I also see him as ruthless and utterly cavalier at times. So to me, this would not fit with someone like John Pilger, who I think is far from ruthless (strong, determined, yes, but in the end very ethical, which I don't think the Knight of Swords always is).

Wallenstein as comic? Yes, I can see this perhaps, but it isn't the aspect of him that we want to portray in this card. He was a genuinely frightening person in many ways - a brilliant general, hugely successful and also - and rather wierdly - someone whose intellectual interests tended to focus on questions of life and death. His palace is ENTIRELY devoted to various depictions of death, transformation, war and fate. I think the comic fades away when you are familiar with his palace - it's a somewhat awesome and in some ways melancholy place.

Thanks very much for the feed-back, baba! It is helping me understand this card. I don't tend to stick to fixed absolute meanings, from deck to deck - the picture on the deck (and in this case, the history behind it) will inform my understanding. What I wanted to flag was the difference between some knights of swords I've been used to, and Wallenstein. I have always related swords to Justice - and seen the Knight as the cool restless hero or the ruthless Bringer of Justice (and John Pilger though profoundly humane, as you say, is pretty ruthless too!) It's an adjustment for me to see him in a more gothic, more ambiguous light, but one I'm happy to make because it extends my understanding of a court card I have always had some difficulty in grasping (maybe because he goes to fast!). Your crib notes on Wallenstein in the book certainly feed the imagination. Is his palace a place to visit?

As for the "comic" - I was thinking tragi-comic in the way Don Juan can be, eventually getting more and more tragic.

baba-prague

Helvetica said:
Your crib notes on Wallenstein in the book certainly feed the imagination. Is his palace a place to visit?

His palace is an essential visit if you come to Prague. The astrological ceiling is closed to the public (a great shame) but you can see the ceiling that is devoted to transformations in myth - and that alone repays time spent on it. The gardens are also amazing, and again, I think need time. The gothic grotto is full of hidden figures, and culminates in an owlery (yes, there really is an owlery in which live horned eagle owls) surrounded by huge horned faces. All very striking to put it mildly. I think Wallenstein had a sense of humour - but a black one.

maks

Knight of Swords

This is a male card, one of aggression and action. It is a card of intellectual strength.

It is a card of power. This power is noisy (iron clad hoofs), proud (plumes), single-minded (armor protection), well-fed and robust. The knight rides without saddle, sure of his abilities to control. The horse is laughing, enthralled and excited with his own strength.

This card represents power of conviction, belief, or faith. The sword is held to mimic the church roof. It is repeated in the third eye of the horse. Without conviction, without something outside of the knight, the power becomes self-serving and degenerates to cruelty and macabre.

It is winter. If the sky is seen as dawn, this card could mean the awakening of the realization of the power and strength that lies within. If the sky is seen as dusk, this card could mean the ending of the need for such display.

Choose your battles wisely. Enjoy the power. But do not forget its Source or its purpose.

TheLovers2

The Knight of Swords . . . Oh, brother!

As I thought, some of these will pose difficulties for me because my approach has been to wait until a particular card speaks to me. Well, this is forcing me to jump ahead and dig in. As the Knight of Swords would do, I will have to force the situation to yield what I desire, in this case to post on this card.

Be wary of his elegance, his confidence, his charm and persuasiveness. He is more than likely narcissistic and, therefore, tends to think of himself first or even worse himself ONLY. It is his appetite that he is concerned with - be careful that he does not eat you. He has a voracious appetite for conquering and his hunger is unabated. He is restless, never satisfied, will only sit still to engage his mind, be entertained by you or whomever and then it's on to the next challenge or conquest.

He is definite in purpose, can have a one-track mind, however, multi-tasks well. He is an imposing figure, full of confidence, really arrogance and lacks the emotional intelligence needed to be as smart as he thinks he is. People will fear him, some will reverance him because they want to be like him and others will see right through him and either leave his presence immediately or remain for a time with caution.

I would hesitate to let him know what I am thinking. He tends to use knowledge to his advantage. He probably does "well in life" on a material level, may be considered successful by many because of his "accomplishments and acquisitions." Don't be fooled. He can be rather cold because he spends so much time in his mind, rather than in his heart and he is so busy, busy doing that he takes no time to let feelings penetrate.

Restless, ruthless, strong, opinionated, hard, gives the impression of being quite put together in appearance (probably obsessive compulsive). He will get the job done and when others are sleeping and relaxing, he is preparing for battle/to take action or thinking of some way to stir things up. As a lover he would be selfish, possibly abusive, and when you take issue with it, he would wonder what your problem is, shrug and already he is thinking of something else.

I don't want to be unfair to him. I'm not sure you would want him on your side, even though he will do all to win -- it's just that you might have to watch your back. He might decide one day that "he just doesn't like you anymore because . . ." and then, you may have a problem on your hands. He reminds me of the bullies in grade school, who one day want to be your best friend, sharing their candy with you and the next day, suddenly, they aren't sure they like you so now they want to try to beat you up. Why? Just because it suits them and, of course, it gives them a sense of power because they think they CAN.

Why don't we take his useful attributes, those that may be helpful in getting things done, use them with sensitivity and discard the rest. I feel rather like I've beaten up the Knight of Swords - well, he probably deserved it.

I'm done. :)

TL2 :TLOVE

maks

TL2,

What a amazing and searing read! I've got to think about this. Besides abusive and obsessive, he sounds a bit like a sociopath to me. Why oh why are some women attracted to this type? Over and over again?

TheLovers2

Maks, hi.

maks said:
TL2,

What a amazing and searing read! I've got to think about this. Besides abusive and obsessive, he sounds a bit like a sociopath to me. Why oh why are some women attracted to this type? Over and over again?

Maks, if you know any women attracted to an abusive, obviously, self-centered egomaniacal, (sociopathic) personality, GET THEM HELP, QUICK. Do you feel that women often are attracted to these types of men and over and over?

As I was trying to "feel out the card" or something, I just went with it and of course, I would think of what kind of person I felt he'd be as a lover. That's what came out. Yep, he does sound like a sociopath or borderline.

Do you think I was too hard on him? I don't remember having such strong feelings about "other Knights of Swords." However, no one seems endeared to this Knight (at least not in the Prague) well, maybe Helvetica, a bit. I'll have to re-read her post. But, I don't know . . . he just came out as a really bad individual. The card has a gloominess to it and all the rest.

maks

Maks, if you know any women attracted to an abusive, obviously, self-centered egomaniacal, (sociopathic) personality, GET THEM HELP, QUICK. Do you feel that women often are attracted to these types of men and over and over? (TL2)
[/unqoute]

The best I can do is offer help. Whether it is taken or not... And, you are right, not all women are attracted to this type of power--only those who are looking for their white knight in shining armour.

TL2, do you have any thoughts on the messenger aspect of knights? And is this an energy that comes from outside or within the querant?

TheLovers2

maks said:
The best I can do is offer help. Whether it is taken or not... And, you are right, not all women are attracted to this type of power--only those who are looking for their white knight in shining armour.

TL2, do you have any thoughts on the messenger aspect of knights? And is this an energy that comes from outside or within the querant?

:D Well, I'll tell you Maks, I think it's okay for a person to look for a Knight in shining armor if they so choose, as long as it's not a toxic one. This Knight would not be a recommended choice. Ha. :D

Maks, as to the "messenger aspect of knights," let me get back to you. As for your question re: the "energy that comes from outside or within the querent" I am puzzled. I don't know what you mean. There is no querent as I/we study the cards for a "card interpretation." Just what I get from the individual cards. The "energy" regarding this Knight of Swords is my interpretation of this card, again, without the additional insights that may happen in culmination with other cards or with a querent.

Perhaps, I am not understanding you.

Sophie

Hey TL2, you've just described my brother-in-law. You wouldn't have met him, would you? I've been trying to hep my sister for a long time, but she won't be. She has simply become more ruthless herself, which I think is sad. At least he has to watch himself more, on that rearing horse of his!

(Come to think of it, my brother in law and Wallenstein share many traits...)

TheLovers2 said:
Do you think I was too hard on him? I don't remember having such strong feelings about "other Knights of Swords." However, no one seems endeared to this Knight (at least not in the Prague) well, maybe Helvetica, a bit. I'll have to re-read her post. But, I don't know . . . he just came out as a really bad individual. The card has a gloominess to it and all the rest.

TL2, you have to know that, with the exception of my brother-in-law, I always try and find some good in everyone. At the very least, this Knight is sexy and would treat you to a good dinner and stimulating conversation. Come to think of it, my bro-in-law does have some good traits.

And Wallenstein? No-one ever forgot him. He created and destroyed in equal measure, from what I read.