Mibramig Magical Tarot

Le Fanu

I just received this today; the new LoS deck;

click!

It's such an eccentric, expressive little deck. Superb artwork; endearing but not silly. There's so much to look at in the cards - funny little flying creatures and leaping shapes and strange vegetation - and then these animals with their huge, moonish, curvaceous faces and doleful eyes. So touching without being twee. Lots to look at and so much stuff you don't see at first glance.

It is very RWS. LoS sometimes deviate from the RWS norm but this is very RWS. There isn't a single card that isn't recognisably RWS. Anyone who likes reading the RWS will read effortlessly with this. It's a bit like a Magical Forest for grown ups. I love the sharpness and precision of line and the rich colouring.

All the suits have a different animal family. The Wands are funny little gazelle-like creatures, Cups are dogs, Pentacles are birds and Swords are monkeys.

A very enchanting little deck. No multilingual titles, discreet suit symbols and numbers on the cards, roman numerals alone on the majors. I like it a lot.

(Oh and of course there's a Happy Squirrel card which I just put straight back in the box. I don't much go for these gimmicks...)

Quester

Now I really want this deck!!!

Le Fanu

... and I wanted to write about the deck without using the words "cute" or "whimsical" because I really don't think it is either of these things.

Padma

I like it, but I don't. Their overly-enlarged heads severely put me off, somehow...I cannot picture reading from it. And I am not overly committed to serious decks, and I love animals...so this is a surprising reaction for me...but, meh.

HearthCricket

I like it, but I don't. Their overly-enlarged heads severely put me off, somehow...I cannot picture reading from it. And I am not overly committed to serious decks, and I love animals...so this is a surprising reaction for me...but, meh.

The overly-large heads remind me of Tenniel's drawings for Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Also, for some reason I haven't quite come up with, they have a wee bit of a Monty Python look to me! I'm still loving them!

Padma

The overly-large heads remind me of Tenniel's drawings for Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Also, for some reason I haven't quite come up with, they have a wee bit of a Monty Python look to me! I'm still loving them!

By all means, love away! :) Art is so bloody subjective, anyways. It's all a matter of if it appeals to you personally, or not. I was wanting to love this deck, but alas, I cannot - however, I am happy to see it get a big thumbs up from others! It does look like the artist put an awful lot of time and effort into the cards, and deserves to be supported, and to succeed! :love:

And yes, I totally get the Monty Python thang...

HearthCricket

Ya made me laugh!! :laugh:
I really think the deck is going to have a lot to say!!

Hehehe.....I agree! I love decks like that! The Knight of Cups reminds me so much of the White Knight in Through the Looking Glass, but just an animal version of him, with a big head, and a Monty Python touch. lol How can I resist? :)