The New Mythic deck - different quality of print by different publisher?

lonyx

Hi all,

I recently purchased the deck from a little store in England.

The version I got is printed by 'Rider Books', made in China.
I noticed how poor the quality is of this deck as soon as I got them out of the box. The edges are sharp and sticky, and some cards are misprinted (image not in the centre of the card). 2 readings/shufflings later, some cards are already heavily chipping on the edges and losing chunks of paper! I usually don't rough handle cards and despite the many uses, all other decks I own are fine, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Has anyone also experienced this problem?

TarotVisions has kindly informed me that her Australian print of this deck published by Simon & Schuster is still in good condition despite more uses (she has however pointed out that they're a bit thin).

Does anybody know other good prints of this deck?

I have found one published by US Games on Amazon:
(hope it's ok for me to post this on here)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythic-Tarot-Juliet-Sharman-Burke/dp/1572817364/
ISBN 1572817364

This one comes with a book and cards; does anyone own this version and knows whether the cards are also printed by US Games? It'd be awful if I got this and only the book is by US Games and the cards are also messy!

Hope to get some feedback :)

karen0205

I haven't seen the new printed version (2012) one yet. I only have old copies
from US Games, 1986. Maybe someone who has one can tell you. Be careful
buying reprint decks on Amazon. I have bought decks only to find out the seller
used the first description that matched the title and didn't correctly coordinate
their deck with the correct publishing information.

mejenks

Hi all,

I noticed how poor the quality is of this deck as soon as I got them out of the box. The edges are sharp and sticky, and some cards are misprinted (image not in the centre of the card). 2 readings/shufflings later, some cards are already heavily chipping on the edges and losing chunks of paper! I usually don't rough handle cards and despite the many uses, all other decks I own are fine, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Has anyone also experienced this problem?

TarotVisions has kindly informed me that her Australian print of this deck published by Simon & Schuster is still in good condition despite more uses (she has however pointed out that they're a bit thin).

ISBN 1572817364

This one comes with a book and cards; does anyone own this version and knows whether the cards are also printed by US Games? It'd be awful if I got this and only the book is by US Games and the cards are also messy!

I have the US Games version that you posted here. My one complaint about this deck is the quality of the cards. While I don't have the problem with curling edges or the picture being out of center, the cards do feel "sticky" to me. It may be that they aren't quite as laminated as some of the other decks that I own, but they just seem to "clump" together more often than I like. It's almost as if they've taken on moisture, but they are kept in a similar fashion and location as my other 30+ decks and it seems to be a problem specific to this deck. I used to use the cards often and still do use the cards on occasion, so my issues with the deck don't prevent frequent use, I just wanted to offer my opinion... since you've asked. :)

Celtictarot

I bought my deck from Book Depository and I get duplicate cards in my box. I don't handle my cards rough either but the ink is coming off it LOTS!

Not just the cards which are a bit bleurgh, what about the artwork, CGI cups? it's been massacred this deck!!

Whitebear

Yep ! i too had this problem - This was the first Deck i was ever given at the tender age of 16 so i have a real fondess to this deck. Me and a Friend noticed that some of the artwork had changed so i went on ebay to get a deck with the origonal artwork on them and the deck Quality was Awful - the cards themselves were very papery and they had like you both say a stickyness to them .... i was so dissapointed !

gregory

I bought my deck from Book Depository and I get duplicate cards in my box. I don't handle my cards rough either but the ink is coming off it LOTS!

Not just the cards which are a bit bleurgh, what about the artwork, CGI cups? it's been massacred this deck!!

Right on. The original is still around - seek one out ! WAY better. The way Rider treated Tricia Newell, they don't deserve to sell ANY of this one anyway. (There's a thread. http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=94933)

This is what you REALLY want !

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythic-Tarot-Liz-Greene/dp/0743219198/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Alpha-Omega

Hi all,

ISBN 1572817364

I have the one by US Games, excellent card stock.

lonyx

Thanks for the info everybody! So, the quality is still awful even if you get it from US Games... I guess they just printed it under Rider and put their name on it -_- looks like there's no way around just getting an original Mythic deck instead of the new one. I agree, the CGI type of art is a bit awful bc it just seems so out of place.