Deck of the Bastard w/ printed Keywords. Your feedback?

Lokismile

Greetings all,

I'm considering getting a Deck of the Bastard (standard) for my more cautious clients, as the older stye images seem fairly soothing in comparison to my main tool of the trade, the Thoth.

I'm actually leaning toward buying one with keywords, to help with those completely new to Tarot.

Who has seen they keywords on the DoB, and do you think they are well done from a general standpoint?
Would you recommend them?
Would you not? and Why?

Thanks,

Le Fanu

If you've got cautious clients, surely it would be better to have a deck without keywords so clients don't go jumping the gun and interpreting cards for themselves?

I like to use the Russian Victorian Romantic for cautious querents; they have NO idea what it written on the cards and I can read at my own pace!

When you say keywords for those new to tarot - are you talking about teaching with it or for clients who are new to tarot? Surely they don't need to know what is written on the cards?

Lokismile

Hi Le Fanu,

Thanks for the feedback. When I read at club venues I often bring a trimmed THOTH, so they cannot read and be distracted by the card names, since I have them memorized.

My mainstay is the crowley, so this question, upon reflection, partially applies to me in cross referencing and learning the foundation of the older and RWS interpts.

Perhaps my question should read: "for those of you who are familiar with the keywords on the DoB, do you find them accurate by most standards and to your liking?"

Le Fanu

Perhaps my question should read: "for those of you who are familiar with the keywords on the DoB, do you find them accurate by most standards and to your liking?"
aaah, sorry, can't help. My copy doesn't have the keywords...

magpie9

Mine has keywords, and I mostly find them pretty distracting. They are mostly accurate, some are quite modern and amusing. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a copy without the keywords.
The practical reading difference between RWS and Thoth are not very great in the minors...mostly some cards have a more 'reversed' meaning in one deck or the other. I bet you can pick up the few changes quickly and easily....or you can just use the meanings you already have attached to the cards.

Lokismile

Mine has keywords, and I mostly find them pretty distracting. They are mostly accurate, some are quite modern and amusing. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a copy without the keywords.
The practical reading difference between RWS and Thoth are not very great in the minors...mostly some cards have a more 'reversed' meaning in one deck or the other. I bet you can pick up the few changes quickly and easily....or you can just use the meanings you already have attached to the cards.

Thanks Magpie, this is helpful.

agviz

I have several decks, with and without keywords. I like both ways. But I don't read with the keywords. I rather see them as a decorative element that reminds me of the Etteilla deck.

KristinCali

I got my DOB with keywords today. It took me forever to decide if I wanted keywords or not! I'm glad I got them because they are very appropriate, very close to the meanings I am familiar with. There are upright AND reversed keywords too. If you're curious about any particular cards/keywords, let me know and I can tell you.