Llewellyn cardstock?

Bhavana

I've used the Shadowscapes deck heavily over the past year, and by 'heavily,' I mean frequently... My deck (which I bought new, from Amazon) came to me a bit warped; a slight curve rather than lying flat. I recently purchased the Tarot of the Hidden Realm (also new, same publisher) and it's also slightly curved in the same way.

Over time, my Shadowscapes deck has warped diagonally. It may have gotten that way from testing out the riffle-shuffle method, but I had to have done that shuffling style no more than five times, yet it was perhaps enough to get it all bendy that way and it won't go back to normal. Every few months I put it under some heavy books to help flatten it out, and it helps for a while, but it eventually reverts back to the same diagonal warp. I have quite a few decks and it's the only one I've had this problem with (but I've never done any riffle shuffling on the others, and never will ever again on any deck)... So my point is that if you shuffle carefully, I think it should be fine.

Other than that, it's just regular wear in that the edges begin to look a bit more tattered. Nothing along the lines of having to glue anything down... such as tearing!? Yikes, no way! I think you'd have to purposefully mangle the deck to get these cards to tear. Mine don't even have a single crease.

It's not your shuffling, it's the decks themselves. A common problem with Llewelyn decks. someone told me once that if they are shrinkwrapped while still warm from the press, they will warp. And the warp can become worse with time. I always get in touch with Llewelyn and complain when I buy a new deck that has this issue - because I have found that no matter what you do - and I have tried EVERYTHING - it can't be fixed. Each time, Llewelyn has sent me a new deck. I can't STAND a warped deck...I like the cards to be flat on the table, if they are not, it drives me nuts.

pumog

It's not your shuffling, it's the decks themselves. A common problem with Llewelyn decks. someone told me once that if they are shrinkwrapped while still warm from the press, they will warp. And the warp can become worse with time. I always get in touch with Llewelyn and complain when I buy a new deck that has this issue - because I have found that no matter what you do - and I have tried EVERYTHING - it can't be fixed. Each time, Llewelyn has sent me a new deck. I can't STAND a warped deck...I like the cards to be flat on the table, if they are not, it drives me nuts.

Very interesting Bhavana - I got the Shadowscapes and had the exact same problem - except in mine some of the cards are warped but not all. Did you have to send the warped pack back? I wonder what they'd do as I'm in UK...

pumog

And also, I love the deck. I don't think the images are fuzzy at all, it's just that they will have a certain appearance due to being watercolours rather than computer generated. They are very small, but since my nearsight got worse with age I examine most of my cards with a little eye loupe anyway - so that's fine!