King of Cups as an obstacle?

firecatpickles

I had the King of Cups haunting me for a period of time a while back. He always seemed to surface in this "obstacle" position like you're talking about. Turned out to be a hobby I had put on the backburner; so the King of Cups could signify someTHING you used to enjoy but forgot about or don't have time for anymore. After all, the court cards each hold someTHING, don't they? Therefore the card isn't ALWAYS about people but can be about people-things, like hoobies, possessions, jobs, events, etc.

.traveller.

Turned out to be a hobby I had put on the backburner; so the King of Cups could signify someTHING you used to enjoy but forgot about or don't have time for anymore.

So was it telling you to pick up the activity again or to discard what was no longer useful?

I don't see the King/Cups as the insecure sort; misplaced anger, yes, the King/Cups can be easily hurt and take out that hurt in a big way. Think emotional control--a person delaying something in order to toy with your emotions.

Whoa, that rings some bells and ticks me off too. Why do people have to act that way?! You don't need to answer that, it was a rhetorical question.

Thirteen

.traveller. said:
Whoa, that rings some bells and ticks me off too. Why do people have to act that way?! You don't need to answer that, it was a rhetorical question.
:) Well, to anwer anyway, it's to show you whose in control...who's the King, yes?

firecatpickles

.traveller. said:
So was it telling you to pick up the activity again or to discard what was no longer useful?

Pick it up again

Ocean Bliss

King of Cups

Sometimes it can mean something that you love can hold you back. It can also be a person who cares about you holding you back because they don't quite have all the info.

Elven

KK said:
I had the King of Cups haunting me for a period of time a while back. He always seemed to surface in this "obstacle" position like you're talking about. Turned out to be a hobby I had put on the backburner; so the King of Cups could signify someTHING you used to enjoy but forgot about or don't have time for anymore. After all, the court cards each hold someTHING, don't they? Therefore the card isn't ALWAYS about people but can be about people-things, like hoobies, possessions, jobs, events, etc.

As KK mentioned this, I had the recall of a similar situation - but it was linked to both the Personal and the Something. It turned out the person was my 'accountant' and the 'something' was money related. Yes, you might think that it would have been a Pent/Swords combo - but no, it was the KoC, and he was an obstacle in two ways - if I didnt pay the bill, he didnt lodge the return so I could get money back ...

Just a thought to add :D
(Thanks for the prompt KK ;))

rcb30872

Yes, I have read all of the above, and I do agree. But look at the King of Cups, here is sitting there, has got control of his emotions, and can be a bit hard to get to know. Maybe the obstacle is that you or whoever is not expressing their emotions. Similar to what Grizabella said, like a father that can't express his emotions, in other words just plain emotionally unavailable, not easy with the kissy, huggy, "I love you" whole scenario. Can be there in other contexts, like would give you advice if you need it, can provide for you in other ways, but is a bit of a "cold fish".