What do you Reckon to my Idea for a Hindu/Vishnu tarot?

The Hanged Man

I have had an idea for a Hindu Tarot floating around my head for quite a few years now, but I would have to study to find out lots more about Hinduism before I could begin this project.

Here is my idea (which somebody will probably steal, but I hope that none of you would do that :(): The god Vishnu, is recognisable by the four sacred symbols he often carries, the discus, conch shell, club and locus. What a wonderful idea for the four suits of the Tarot!

The Discus and club are both weapons, signifying his absolute power to destroy evil. The lotus represents fertility and regeneration, the nourishment of the soul that occurs through devotion to this deity. The conch shell is blown in India like a trumpet during many sacred rituals. It is considered to make the purest sound, from which creation springs.

Discus - Earth - Coins.
Club - Fire - Swords.
Lotus - Water - Cups.
Conch - Air - Wands.

Okay, well if you see Swords as Air and Wands as Fire you could see them that way, but that wouldn't matter really, because it wouldn't be Wands and Swords depicted, it would be Conches and Clubs, which would obviously represent Air and Fire, making such a deck suitable for anyone, no matter how they see the traditional Tarot suits and ekemental association.

The image of Visnu holding these symbols in his four hands would make a great Magician archetype!

I didn't want to give my idea away, because I am frightened to death of having the idea stolen before I have had a chance to get creative upon it. I just wanted to know what you all thought about this idea. I think I need to look into Hinduism and get these ideas together, and get creative.

Keep your eyes peeled in the Tarot Creation forum in the near future!

gregory

Good idea - and if you ever come across a really GOOD book of Hindu legends while you work on it, please let me know ! (I have been after one for a while.)

manhattan9thgate

my first impression is that a mystical Hindu theme would be a really super Oracle deck.

I think it might be tad difficult to please people who are really knowledgeable about the Hindu religion and the Euro based Tarot traditionalists.

Their pantheon and tradition are more closely related to the Buddhists (Buddhism did originate in India after all). I know Robert Place has a Buddha Tarot.......but it doesn't work for me (personally)........and don't get me started on the I-Ching Tarot. There are probably plenty of people who don't have a problem with these decks so I'm sure I'm in a minority.

I vote for a gorgeous Oraclular deck (with a sumptuous paisley backing)

Chronata

There's nothing wrong with making an oracle type deck with the suits/correspondances you mentioned...although if you are used to tarot structure, that would probably be the easier route.

I am sort of torn between whether it would make a good tarot or a good oracle...for similar reasons as manhattan9thgate suggested...
Eastern religions and/or philosphies don't always fit the rather Western tarot structure.

But regardlessless of what the final creation will be...

I do think it is a very good idea...

and it's clear that you have a passion for it!

I say go for it...start creating and see where it goes!