Positions in the Grand Tableau

Village Witch

Good question! It's like this: a reading is set for a period of time, and not everything in your life is going to be of equal importance during that time. You could be really focussed on your career, but in your home life - nothing exceptional is going to happen, it'll just be day-to-day routine for the most part. Say that your significator is over on the right with Fishes (money), Moon (honours or recognition that usually comes from career these days), Anchor (stability, also relates to career), and over there way on the left is the House. Career will have a lot happening, your household - not so much.

Or maybe the Tree is far away from you - health is not a big concern, as it would be when it is close.

You can still glean something from reading the cards around the House or the Tree, sure - but whatever it is, it's not going to affect you as much as the job stuff does during this period, and people's lives don't usually have a lot of important events in all areas at all times. Which is good, because the stress would just be too much.

Does that help?

Absolutely that helps! Thank you!!

Izzydunne

Chanah:

If you will go to page 4 of this section of the forum, and go to the bottom of the page you will see the thread I started called: "How I read the GT."

Risingsign

Izzydunne:

In your How I Read the GT you mention: "The cards that are in close proximity to the major players are the most important". Is that not much the same as Chanah's: "Most readers... determine how strong the effect of a card will be on the person by how close it is to the person card" (or other major players)?

Tag_jorrit

Thank you for your post Chanah. I have been slow at transitioning from the left/past right/future and linear methods of reading the GT to the distance methods that are beginning to make more sense. More practice needed here. :)

Izzydunne

Rising sign:

No it is not the same. Cards near the major players are the most important. However, the way I interpret them is not the near/far method.

In addition, I don't divide the GT into left/right, past/present/future either.

Risingsign

Thank you, Izzydunne. Is it fair to say that, while Chanah has emphasised the proximity aspect of near/far reading, you see the distinction in terms of the different meanings applied to certain cards when they fall close to or far away from a card?

Izzydunne

Rising sign:

If I understand you correctly, what you just described is a restated near/far approach. That is not how it do it.

Think of a line of 3 or 4 cards telling a story. No matter how the story begins, or progresses, it is the end (final card) that matters most.

Before I go any further.........please be aware that I am not saying that my approach is:" the best, most authentic, what my relatives taught me, or the only way to do it."

I use the approach that makes it the easiest for me to see what the Divine (through the cards) is trying to tell me. Not too many rules to get in the way, and just enough rules so that the entire thing hangs together in a clear and elegant manner.

Risingsign

If I understand you correctly, what you just described is a restated near/far approach. That is not how it do it.

Yes, I was trying to pinpoint which aspect/s of near/far you don't use. :)

Think of a line of 3 or 4 cards telling a story. No matter how the story begins, or progresses, it is the end (final card) that matters most.

So, for you, "close proximity" is important in as much as those cards will naturally fall in the horizontal and vertical lines "containing" the key cards (Man, Woman, Ring, etc.).

Sorry to seem nitpicky, but I felt since I was bothered to ask in the first place I ought to endeavor to understand your answer. :)