Expectations for Lenormand vs other decks

Zedrex

There's a lot of interesting thoughts in your post, but I'm curious what you think of Lenormand - which you never mention. What do you expect of it and how do you find that your expectation is best achieved?

You can probably tell that I'm a newbie here and spent my years studying when the internet did not exist. I applied myself to the RWS schema for about 5 years, thinking it was the only true tarot, before I learned of the existence of Thoth at the age of 20. I spent about two years with Thoth but ultimately, I don't enjoy it or get much out of it and never used it in the professional arena.

Lenormand? Only on recently joining this forum a matter of weeks ago do I see that it's considered as viable a strain of the tradition as RWS is. Surprises me, but that's mostly because of my unfamiliarity with it. I know nothing of Lenormand, but the imagery and ideas I have recently come across strike me as an adaptation of Tarot, possibly closer to Oracle, rather than a pure approach to Tarot. But then, this is my impression derived from ignorance. I know nothing of it and will happily be corrected and educated on the matter by the good people here.

In my old age, I am increasingly regarding the distinction between Tarot and Oracle as only of academic concern. "What to call it" seems like the least important question you can ask of either tarot or oracle

Teheuti

But it kind of misses the point here. You asked ''why use lenormand if you don't use the ''rules''''. My answer was ''because I like the pictures''. I don't think I have to have other reasons really.
Actually, that wasn't among my questions at all. If it was, please quote me! I'm curious about all the reasons that people use Lenormand intuitively, but especially about 1) what someone *expects* to get from Lenormand as compared to other divinatory decks, and 2) what people do to actualize that expectation.

My core question regarding a person's expected result or outcome and how this is best achieved by them could really be asked of anyone using any oracle technique. I'm especially curious about what people expect out of Lenormand when used intuitively that is different than what they expect out of other intuitive oracles, and how they achieve it differently (or the same) via Lenormand. Is there anything different about using Lenormand intuitively versus using other intuitive oracle decks -- either in what is expected of the deck or in how it is achieved?

Teheuti

I have absolutely no intention to try, but...
If the postcards had the same images as the lenormand, then yes, I'd get the same kind of information. If they had only pictures of Santa Claus, then no, I don't think so. ;)
I should have responded to this first. It's a perfectly respectable answer. If I understand you correctly: You like the pictures. You have no expectation of a different result nor would you use a different approach if you liked another set of pictures as much - be they postcards or whatever.

ana luisa

What do you *expect* to get from the Lenormand deck that you wouldn't get from an oracle deck that was designed precisely to be a "springboard for intuitive flashes"?
Not more not less. As I said, I treat is as an oracle. Perhaps the fact that Lenormand pictures are "clean" and not too busy, forces me to focus on the symbol itself and go from there. As opposed to working with this:
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=...day-from-the-voyager-tarot-xiv-art%2F;506;631

Why do you feel more drawn to Lenormand than to one of those decks (or, in addition to one of those decks, if that's the case)?
Lenormand was my first deck.I started reading with it way before I even knew about Tarot. I inherited the cards from my great grandmother and their sentimental value and story fascinated me so that I decided to just go for it. I didn't have ANY white book to read from (she had thrown it away) and I thought it was good for predictions for that's how she used it and foresaw her own death... It was fate that made that deck find its way to me (never met her) but as I was at a loss afa the pictures, I made the meanings as I went along. And I liked it that way :)

Teheuti

Not more not less. As I said, I treat is as an oracle. Perhaps the fact that Lenormand pictures are "clean" and not too busy, forces me to focus on the symbol itself and go from there. As opposed to working with this:
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=...day-from-the-voyager-tarot-xiv-art%2F;506;631
Ah yes, the opposite extreme.

Lenormand was my first deck.I started reading with it way before I even knew about Tarot. I inherited the cards from my great grandmother and their sentimental value and story fascinated me so that I decided to just go for it. I didn't have ANY white book to read from (she had thrown it away) and I thought it was good for predictions for that's how she used it and foresaw her own death... It was fate that made that deck find its way to me (never met her) but as I was at a loss afa the pictures, I made the meanings as I went along. And I liked it that way :)
This is probably how a great many people started. Rana George's experience was similar, although she eventually read some French books on Lenormand (added: and incorporated the info into what she had discovered on her own).

JonneyVK

I struggle for Christian symbology. I know things before they happen but nothing pagan or Wiccan. But most tarot decks are pagan - anyhow not complaining because they are beautiful - got mac heal angelo deck for death. Jesus being prepared for the cross and transfiguration! Best death card of any deck!

JonneyVK

Sorry about typos. Michael angelo ! Oops

Water Lady

I have read through the comments and am a bit confused.
are Lenormand cards oracle or something else? intuitive or is it the same thing?
I think I would like to try intuitive reading and would like a deck with picture and maybe one word
any ideas?

Melia

Nan, the Lenormand deck is an ORACLE. There is a traditional method used for reading these cards. There are many good books and videos online to show you how. I myself don't think it's difficult, but like all things a little time is required to learn how.

Some readers will adhere strictly to the system/traditional method of reading these cards; while others change it up a bit or add some of their own meanings into the mix, and this usually comes as they become more familiar with the cards through their readings. Others completely ditch/ignore the set method of reading, and prefer to just read the cards intuitively - if you read the cards like this, then you're not strictly reading Lenormand. To read Lenormand in the truest sense, the method must be applied.

If you just want oracle cards with an image and a simple description, then perhaps the 'Tea Leaf Fortune Cards' by Rae Hepburn may be more what you are after: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tea-leaf-fortune/

Sar

Part of the appeal for me with Lenormand decks is that they have a structure to them, in the same way that Tarot does. There may be a couple of "tweaks" but they are still sort of organised which makes the symbolism clearer.

Also, there is the historical aspect, I like the fact that they have been around for so long and have stood the test of time.

:):):)

Exactly, I like system, tradition and heritage.