The Moon

Le Fanu

Weirdly - for one whose favourite tarot card is the Moon - the Lenormand Moon is one of two cards which mean very little to me in the Lenormand deck (the other being the Lilies).

I know all the meanings of the Moon, but none of them really strike any chord with my 21st century life.

I cannot see it as career - just doesn't feel right and never makes any sense in spreads if I try. Then theres the psychic power thing - nope - not really, not in my day to day life. Then there's acolades, prestige, recognition - I don't get that either.

It's one of those weirdly floating cards - OK, I admit it - that just never really means anything to me. I think I have tried too hard not to merge it with the tarot meaning and it ha ended up meaning mostly nothing. I have read and reread all the best writers on the Moon card and it still all fades into nothingness.

Isn't that odd? But then we all have a tarot card we don't "get"; there's no reason why Lenormand shouldn't be any different.

Nina*

It doesn't mean anything to you as ''emotions/emotional''?

That's personally how I see it.

Le Fanu

I suppose it could be. But isn't everything emotions/emotional? Particularly if you're asking about a problem that involves emotions.

kalliope

If I'm not asking about one's career, and official honors or recognition aren't applicable (they usually aren't for my readings), then I tend to default to a more general "reputation" for the Moon. What the regular people around you are feeling and thinking about you, how you stand with them, for good for bad. Those people could be at work of course, but could also be your circle of friends, your neighbors, your family, etc. Since our behavior is always shaping how we're seen by others, I find there's usually something useful there when reading it this way.

(I know some readers may use the Child for one's standing within a social circle as suggested in the PL sheet, but I haven't converted to that as of yet.)

Nina*

I suppose it could be. But isn't everything emotions/emotional? Particularly if you're asking about a problem that involves emotions.

Well.. yeah... but then all things are also about change (Stork) since all things do change (even if subtly) constantly.

Rana mentions not just emotional but ''mood swings''?

Teheuti

1846 instruction sheet: "The Moon is a sign of great honour, if this card is located next to the person, on the contrary, if it is distant it announces misfortune."

Brepols (Belgian, 19th century): "When the friendly moon shines down at you from close upon your shores, he is announcing a nice career, glory and honour are to be yours."

Moon can also mean a month or night-time, especially evening.

It wasn't until the late 20th century that meanings began to include emotions and psychological states (possibly picked up from Tarot and modern psychological astrology). Old astrological meanings for the Moon tended to focus on one's public stature and mass movements.

Reversals seems to be more of a very recent Italian (Lo Scarabeo) thing, in that you rarely find it mentioned in works from other countries.

Of course one can do whatever one likes with the cards, but then there is no point in "studying" with others as there is nothing to study, for the cards will mean totally different things to each person and can vary totally from moment to moment.